Eli in 2014 - upgrade or rookie?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Eli in 2014 - upgrade or rookie?

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Sounds like they are planning to upgrade him… good show of faith I guess.

I think when you upgrade a rookie it is simple maths. If a player who you are upgrading is not taking a spot of a better player on the list and is better than any other player you can get in the draft and you think he has a future as a ones player then you upgrade. Obviously the club think Templeton has. The question is does Weller, Shenton and Minchington fit that bill. IMO only Weller does but who knows.
Given the amount of game time he has been given, and his performances which were certainly not terrible, I would be very surprised if Shenton was not elevated.

He has proven himself to be comfortable at the top level, and while he won't be a superstar, he adds some much needed dash and daring. I don't see why he won't continue to improve with experience.

If we can get all of Savage, Webster, Wright, Gilbert and Shenton onto the park at the same time, it will go a long way to fixing our pace problem.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Templeton is a must to be upgraded, in my view. We are crying out for speed and foot skills, and he has both in spades. Throw in a willingness to take the game on.....

To me, he's very much like Aussie Jones, and it would be a waste to have Eli playing at Sandy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Templeton is a must to be upgraded, in my view. We are crying out for speed and foot skills, and he has both in spades. Throw in a willingness to take the game on.....

To me, he's very much like Aussie Jones, and it would be a waste to have Eli playing at Sandy.

I dont see his speed to be honest. That doesnt mean I dont rate him but I reckon that speed maybe his biggest issue.

busso mick
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Templeton is a must to be upgraded, in my view. We are crying out for speed and foot skills, and he has both in spades. Throw in a willingness to take the game on.....

I dont see his speed to be honest. That doesnt mean I dont rate him but I reckon that speed maybe his biggest issue.
It all depends on how you rate speed. In a running race he would not be the quickest on our list, but from what I have seen he does hit the contest at full speed by reading the play well. After he was injured our forward pressure noticeably dropped, so he can corral and chase opponents quite well too.

IMO he is a must for an upgrade and was a great bargain last year by our recruiters.

Saint wagga
Club Player

busso mick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It all depends on how you rate speed. In a running race he would not be the quickest on our list, but from what I have seen he does hit the contest at full speed by reading the play well. After he was injured our forward pressure noticeably dropped, so he can corral and chase opponents quite well too.

IMO he is a must for an upgrade and was a great bargain last year by our recruiters.
There's speed and then there's speed...Our own Rhys Stanley is probably the greatest example in the whole AFL that stright line speed doesn't always equate to practical speed in real match scenarios. Having watched more tape of Eli's first couple of games again thid week, he looks to have good acceleration from a a jog to full speed which is handy and also due to his height and lighter frame is able to maintain good speed whilst changing direction. This makes him look pretty quick in game situations. If he was to race off in a 100m dash, he probably wouldn't be right at the pointy end of it...I reckon the 3 best players in the comp on acceleration from a standing start in match scenarios would be Juddy, our own Jack Steven and Dangerfield from the Crows...it's brilliant to watch these guys use there power acceleration to clear packs!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Name some players (still) at the club who are as quick or quicker than Templeton

I'll try

Steven
Stanley
Webster
Wright
Gilbert

maybe White/Markworth/Ray

That puts him in the top 20% at the club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Name some players (still) at the club who are as quick or quicker than Templeton

I'll try

Steven
Stanley
Webster
Wright
Gilbert

maybe White/Markworth/Ray

That puts him in the top 20% at the club.

Doesnt make him quick, just proves our side is slow. There are probably more anyway. I wouldnt class Stanley as quick either. Eli would be quicker than him. Shenton is probably quicker as would Billings be. Savage would quicker as maybe Newnes is. All these names are proving how little pace we have in our side.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'd be amazed if Eli isn't put on the main list. Richo wants his fresh newbie kids under his coaching wing rather than getting taught god knows what in the VFL. And his marketing strength doesn't hurt his chances.