Good luck to The Big Boy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good luck to The Big Boy

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:What was it we got for him? That's right Pick 18 (Dunstan), Pick 19 (Acres) & Savage. Well done to Pelchen & his team.
Lucky BigMart isnt here.
His head would explode. In his mind Big Mac is a cross between Polly Farmer and Simon Madden.
And we NEVER make a decent trade :mrgreen:

Mac having a shocker

No kicks
No handballs
No hitouts
And no Falcons

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the saints link to the Footscray win--
Liam Jones - Son of Bob who played for the saints

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:What was it we got for him? That's right Pick 18 (Dunstan), Pick 19 (Acres) & Savage. Well done to Pelchen & his team.
Lucky BigMart isnt here.
His head would explode. In his mind Big Mac is a cross between Polly Farmer and Simon Madden.
i sill can't work out why we drafted him in the first place

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Lucky BigMart isnt here.
i sill can't work out why we drafted him in the first place
We didn't have any ruckmen and apparently he was the second best big man after Kruezer (who has been more dissapointing in my opinion).

He isn't bad around the ground but his ruck work is VFL standard. Maybe he will get a gig in the Granny as Celgar was ordinary last night.

Still we now have Dunstan, a great first year, Savage who can play AFL and Acres who apparently is better than both.

The trade was a good one, for us and if Mac plays next week and contributes, for Hawthorn.

You are garbage - Enough said
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he was withdrawn from the match today...so i'm guessing he's a chance...and the guy who picked big boy over rioli deserves to be boiled in oil..imhfo that is....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:the saints link to the Footscray win--
Oh s***, I don't like where this is going.

Are we really going to trade jones in?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

What if we get him for free?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

If he's free let's get him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:he was withdrawn from the match today...so i'm guessing he's a chance...and the guy who picked big boy over rioli deserves to be boiled in oil..imhfo that is....
Spot on, Stinger. It wasn't as if they weren't told either. Still shake my head over it, especially as he was such a gun at junior/schoolboy level. It still doesn't outrank the decision to take Cripps ahead of Darling. No wonder we are where we are.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

If I boxed up a turd and gave it to you free, would you enjoy more than if I'd charged you $5 for it?

A key forward that can't get a game at the club who has been desperately searching for a key forward for 15 years... Is no good.

File under Charlie Gardiner, Ryan Gamble, Beau Wilkes/Maister, Trent Dennis-Lane.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

If I boxed up a turd and gave it to you free, would you enjoy more than if I'd charged you $5 for it?

A key forward that can't get a game at the club who has been desperately searching for a key forward for 15 years... Is no good.

File under Charlie Gardiner, Ryan Gamble, Beau Wilkes/Maister, Trent Dennis-Lane.
He actually looked pretty good. An upgrade on Maister.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

I prefer my turds in a box with a bow tie :-)

What if say the dish lickers offer him a contract but he wants to come to us anyway?

Those guys you mentioned definitely weren't offered contracts anywhere else.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: He actually looked pretty good.
In the VFL,
like TDL and Shane valenti.
gringo wrote: An upgrade on Maister.
This does not make me feel better.
Love the beau, he tried hard, but his hands were like kryptonite to the sherrin. Incompatible.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well it seems Lewis will play in the granny according to Clarko.

So do they take the bold move and drop Ceglar for Big Boy?

I hope not. Couldn't stand the flack if another Saint wins a flag with a different team after Bally.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Well it seems Lewis will play in the granny according to Clarko.

So do they take the bold move and drop Ceglar for Big Boy?

I hope not. Couldn't stand the flack if another Saint wins a flag with a different team after Bally.

Your friends actually give you flack for that? I hope Ben plays. he is an ex saint who didn't want to leave so I hope nothing bad for him. Im not that selfish about worrying about flack, not that there would be any anyway.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
In the VFL,
Love the beau, he tried hard, but his hands were like kryptonite to the sherrin. Incompatible.

He's a completely different player than any of those guys. Valenti is the size of a CJ victim, TDL is only capable of getting about 7 possessions in the VFL as an elusive slightly too tall small forward but converts well. You should watch a replay of the game on the week end. Jones goes well. He's an upgrade on Maister because his marks stick and always have but his kicking seems to have gotten a lot better. I have watched a fair bit of Jones and he's very Rhys like in that he looks a gun one game and just disappears the next week. His potential to improve is there.

Here is his comparison to West Coasts Josh Kennedy at the same age. Nearly the same.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... fopt2=2010

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
In the VFL,

He's a completely different player than any of those guys. Valenti is the size of a CJ victim, TDL is only capable of getting about 7 possessions in the VFL as an elusive slightly too tall small forward but converts well. You should watch a replay of the game on the week end. Jones goes well. He's an upgrade on Maister because his marks stick and always have but his kicking seems to have gotten a lot better. I have watched a fair bit of Jones and he's very Rhys like in that he looks a gun one game and just disappears the next week. His potential to improve is there.

Here is his comparison to West Coasts Josh Kennedy at the same age. Nearly the same.

Seems like a very good VFL footballer who probably play 10 games in the AFL a year. I think we have a mortgage on those 10 game players. In racing terms, looking elsewhere or better placed in a lower grade.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
In the VFL,

Seems like a very good VFL footballer who probably play 10 games in the AFL a year. I think we have a mortgage on those 10 game players. In racing terms, looking elsewhere or better placed in a lower grade.
I assume you watched him in the VFL GF and have seen a bit of him in the AFL. He's not terrible and he's got upside. Plenty of forwards take until they are 22 23 to start showing something. Looking at JKs stats above shows he wasn't a world beater at the same age. You would take him hoping he has some progression left in him. Plenty had written Rhys off and he started to get better this year and he still has scope for improvement. If the club assess him to be the best available option I wouldn't write it off.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
In the VFL,

I assume you watched him in the VFL GF and have seen a bit of him in the AFL. He's not terrible and he's got upside. Plenty of forwards take until they are 22 23 to start showing something. Looking at JKs stats above shows he wasn't a world beater at the same age. You would take him hoping he has some progression left in him. Plenty had written Rhys off and he started to get better this year and he still has scope for improvement. If the club assess him to be the best available option I wouldn't write it off.
No didn't see a kick in the VFL grand final and I don't think its relevant anyway. Seen plenty of him in the AFL and as you said he isn't terrible. Gringo we will have about 4 picks in the draft. You cannot say lets get 10 ex AFL plus draft picks. It just doesn't add up. I couldn't give a stuff about other players stats at the same age. Im sure I could find many where his stats come up terrible. So Gringo can you tell me how many picks you want in the draft and so far what players you would take from the many mentioned AFL players that maybe available.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I think Jones is another one of these good VFL types who isn't quite good enough at the level. I would definitely Stanley to him. At least Stanley has shown glimpses of the years. Don't think Jones done that much.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
In the VFL,

No didn't see a kick in the VFL grand final and I don't think its relevant anyway. Seen plenty of him in the AFL and as you said he isn't terrible. Gringo we will have about 4 picks in the draft. You cannot say lets get 10 ex AFL plus draft picks. It just doesn't add up. I couldn't give a stuff about other players stats at the same age. Im sure I could find many where his stats come up terrible. So Gringo can you tell me how many picks you want in the draft and so far what players you would take from the many mentioned AFL players that maybe available.
Personally I would not take a single other AFL player except him and go to the draft with 3 spots all for mids (unless we trade someone). Schnieder or Siposs probably offer a bit less at this stage, and as a back up FF if Rooey goes down at any point and his potential to become a good player is still there at his age. I saw him play at the week end and with close checking and in a big game he handles himself very well. He's done a bit of a Tom Hawkins where he realises he's a big unit and protects the drop of the ball better. If a player like Carlisle or Hurley are available you would definitely need to think about it though.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

selected

saint4life
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:selected
Makes sense. Ben perfected that defensive marking coverage with us which could come in very handy against the Sydney fwd monsters.

suss
Club Player

That gives me a team to barrack for at least. Good on him - hope he gets a medal.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote:That gives me a team to barrack for at least. Good on him - hope he gets a medal.
+ 1