Player signing #18 Tom Lee - 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

Tom Lee - 2015 & 2016

Think i heard him on the radio earlier this morning maybe ABC.
after enduring 2 surgeries on his shoulders just hope he gets a break and racks up games in a row.
Sounds a popular fella down @ the club. Hope he emulates Judd's successful recovery and has a long career.
GO S A I N T S!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Player signing #18 Tom Lee - 2016

Does anyone know if he is currently injury-free and able to do a proper pre season or if he's still recovering from surgery?

BadRossco
Club Player

Guess we always need a whipping boy

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Does anyone know if he is currently injury-free and able to do a proper pre season or if he's still recovering from surgery?

he along with Siposs and Maister were put out early for shouder surgery- as noted by Pelch- Siposs is back at the club training..

assumeTom not far off.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Can someone tell me any reason at all why he needed to be signed until 2016. I just want one reason. Can we make it a reason that makes sense. I honestly cant see how this guy can make it. Yep he kicks ok but has no defensive skills and slower than my other grandfather who lost both legs in WW1. He is a great guy from what people say so I hope he improves on things so he can make it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good question pluggs...

This has become a thread about is he gonna make it, should be why the extension?

I can't think of one.

Weird contracts lately, IMHO

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

On Lee:
plugger66 wrote:Yep he kicks ok but has no defensive skills and slower than my other grandfather who lost both legs in WW1.

On Longer:
plugger66 wrote: My grandfather marked better after WW1 and he lost both arms in that war.

Can't wait to read your comments when the discussion comes around to our lack of Father/Sons and our past player's apparent fertility problems :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:On Lee:
plugger66 wrote:Yep he kicks ok but has no defensive skills and slower than my other grandfather who lost both legs in WW1.

On Longer:
plugger66 wrote: My grandfather marked better after WW1 and he lost both arms in that war.

Can't wait to read your comments when the discussion comes around to our lack of Father/Sons and our past player's apparent fertility problems :P

My 2 families had a bad WW1. WW2 was slightly better except my uncle died sadly.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Can someone tell me any reason at all why he needed to be signed until 2016. I just want one reason. Can we make it a reason that makes sense. I honestly cant see how this guy can make it. Yep he kicks ok but has no defensive skills and slower than my other grandfather who lost both legs in WW1. He is a great guy from what people say so I hope he improves on things so he can make it.
Why sign anyone? It's a philosophical conundrum. Maybe they figure he has a lot of potential and that gives him some security in his future. Acres has been given a very long contract and hasn't been able to get on the park. If we waited to see on Jack Steven we might have saved ourselves money or cost us money. It's all calculated risk isn't it. I don't know how you think you can make a definitive statement with nothing but a vibe on him. You have run a campaign against him for ages and for some reason want him to fail. On Bigfooty he is seen in a much more positive light than on here. He must have run over your dog or something.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Can someone tell me any reason at all why he needed to be signed until 2016. I just want one reason. Can we make it a reason that makes sense. I honestly cant see how this guy can make it. Yep he kicks ok but has no defensive skills and slower than my other grandfather who lost both legs in WW1. He is a great guy from what people say so I hope he improves on things so he can make it.
Why sign anyone? It's a philosophical conundrum. Maybe they figure he has a lot of potential and that gives him some security in his future. Acres has been given a very long contract and hasn't been able to get on the park. If we waited to see on Jack Steven we might have saved ourselves money or cost us money. It's all calculated risk isn't it. I don't know how you think you can make a definitive statement with nothing but a vibe on him. You have run a campaign against him for ages and for some reason want him to fail. On Bigfooty he is seen in a much more positive light than on here. He must have run over your dog or something.

Why sign anyone? What sort of statement is that? Jack Steven showed more promise in his first game than Lee has done in any game. You haven't given me any reason why he needed another year. He has one left or is that wrong and even if he didn't he only deserved one year. Gringo just because you said how good he was when we got him doesn't mean you have to lose all logic. I said he apparently a fantastic bloke but unlike some here I don't go by the good bloke think. Ran a campaign? Are you serious. Who cares if I don't rate him. Want him to fail? What an idiotic comment. You are sounding like a 10 year old whose brother is Tom Lee. And I really couldn't care what bigfooty says at all. I make up my own mind and I don't see any point of an extension. How is Milera, Siposs and Simpkin going with having contracts next season?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lee's Delta Tau Chi name is Noonan :twisted:

ImageImage

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

audio from RSN this morning - as supplied by the Saints

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Why sign anyone? What sort of statement is that? Jack Steven showed more promise in his first game than Lee has done in any game. You haven't given me any reason why he needed another year. He has one left or is that wrong and even if he didn't he only deserved one year. Gringo just because you said how good he was when we got him doesn't mean you have to lose all logic. I said he apparently a fantastic bloke but unlike some here I don't go by the good bloke think. Ran a campaign? Are you serious. Who cares if I don't rate him. Want him to fail? What an idiotic comment. You are sounding like a 10 year old whose brother is Tom Lee. And I really couldn't care what bigfooty says at all. I make up my own mind and I don't see any point of an extension. How is Milera, Siposs and Simpkin going with having contracts next season?
I did tell you why I think they gave him longer. He is obviously rated higher internally than by some of the internet experts. Why don't you explain why he has no chance of making it. That's idiotic. He's still on the list and just signed an extension. On the other two one is back up and one is young and still has a chance of making it so no real skin off any noses there. Not signing a new contract might have kept Jones and Gwilt but probably only for another year anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I did tell you why I think they gave him longer. He is obviously rated higher internally than by some of the internet experts. Why don't you explain why he has no chance of making it. That's idiotic. He's still on the list and just signed an extension. On the other two one is back up and one is young and still has a chance of making it so no real skin off any noses there. Not signing a new contract might have kept Jones and Gwilt but probably only for another year anyway.

Security is the reason? Is that the best you could come up with? When did I say he had no chance of making it? Please don't write lies. I said I cant see how he can make it and if you bothered to read it, I then said why. Im not repeating myself to someone who isn't going to read what I actually said. I don't even understand your last line.

I hope he makes it but I aint going to come over to your house and get those blinkers.

Legendary
Club Player

I think you will find that a lot of our "signings" and "extensions" are front loaded for 2015 so that we hit 95% of the cap - hence the reason for re-doing some of these contracts.

The reality is that if we want to cut one or two of these guys next year, it's not going to cause us too much pain financially, but gives us flexibility so that if they are playing well then we don't lose them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I think you will find that a lot of our "signings" and "extensions" are front loaded for 2015 so that we hit 95% of the cap - hence the reason for re-doing some of these contracts.

The reality is that if we want to cut one or two of these guys next year, it's not going to cause us too much pain financially, but gives us flexibility so that if they are playing well then we don't lose them.
Makes some sense, but we were being generous to give Lee one year ie 2015 but no point in two. If by some miracle he becomes a player next season then offer him another year, unless 2016 he gets 80K only due to front ending 2015.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
andrewg
Club Player

Because he can play. I think there would be teams interested in him and when he comes good he will stand by the team that showed him faith...give and take.
I also think his contract will be front ended and will be paid for 2015-16 next year making him 'free' in 2016. Not sure you can do this on a 1 year contract.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
Because he can play. I think there would be teams interested in him and when he comes good he will stand by the team that showed him faith...give and take.
I also think his contract will be front ended and will be paid for 2015-16 next year making him 'free' in 2016. Not sure you can do this on a 1 year contract.

Who would be even slightly interested in him and even if they were, he has a contract. And you can never have a free year no matter how much you front end. Id rather pay Rooy, Joey, Chips, Dempster and others more money.

andrewg
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:

Who would be even slightly interested in him and even if they were, he has a contract. And you can never have a free year no matter how much you front end. Id rather pay Rooy, Joey, Chips, Dempster and others more money.
Teams that would interested predicting he has a reasonable 2015 and only on a 1 yr contract
Bulldogs
Blues
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
Brisbane

If not free in 2016 close to it...it makes sense not sure what you don't get?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:

Teams that would interested predicting he has a reasonable 2015 and only on a 1 yr contract
Bulldogs
Blues
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
Brisbane

If he has a good 2015 we re sign him on good money. Doubt anyone could match us. What is White has a good 2015. He is more likely to attract interest and he only got to the end of next season.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Can someone tell me any reason at all why he needed to be signed until 2016.
It's not that complicated.
The club rates him.
Other clubs rate him enough to offer him more than 1 year.

He's never going to be a superstar, but from the day he arrived we were told he would take time to build up to AFL footy...

andrewg
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:

Bulldogs
Blues
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
Brisbane

If he has a good 2015 we re sign him on good money. Doubt anyone could match us. What is White has a good 2015. He is more likely to attract interest and he only got to the end of next season.
But if we back him on having good 2015 this year and pay him most of his contract next year...we have him for next to nothing in 2016

saint-stu
Club Player

I'm not going to pretend to know why, but I get the impression we have room on our list to keep quite a few guys who we don't know if they will make it or not. We don't exactly have anyone else to take their spots, although I guess we could have kept Jonesy and Jimmy Gwilt for another year or two. Let's just give them a little longer, hopefully most will get a chance to see how they go in their peak age before making a decision. Tom Lee is 23 now, but it has been said many times he is way behind in his development, so worth giving him longer I reckon.

1ac46a38
noob
Club Player

I feel Tom doesn't warrant the second year. Will be 24 early next year and went backwards this year, even with the injuries.

Rosco
Club Player

i was also confused about the 2 years.

we're gambling on the second year because we're worried about him being poached after 2015? can't see it really.

hope he makes it, plays 20 games next year and kicks 30+ goals.

sipposs gone then?