Richmond inquires about Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Richmond inquires about Armo

Yes to the Armo for #11 trade...

It's time for Seb to really stand up & be a permanent best 22 player.

Dunstan will be even better after a big pre season.

Mav may still be upgraded & can play a more attacking role. Curren, Murdoch, Steven, etc can all play inside to help cover the loss of Lenny & Armo.

Of all the midfield spots we've got the inside covered reasonably well. This rebuild needs to include taking calculated risks & IMO losing Armo would hurt but to be honest, these are the years to hurt & make hay while the sun shines at the draft.

Pleasing
Club Player

I like Armo but we need to take risks - Would suit the Tiges, mates with Dusty and deserves to play in a decent side would give them a pretty strong midfield will give them the agro they lack. Will just be making up the numbers for us and will probably be on the way out by the time we are back in contention. We will get flogged in the midfield without him next year but that will probably happen either way. Pull the trigger.

Let me in
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:Yes to the Armo for #11 trade...

It's time for Seb to really stand up & be a permanent best 22 player.

Dunstan will be even better after a big pre season.

Mav may still be upgraded & can play a more attacking role. Curren, Murdoch, Steven, etc can all play inside to help cover the loss of Lenny & Armo.

Of all the midfield spots we've got the inside covered reasonably well. This rebuild needs to include taking calculated risks & IMO losing Armo would hurt but to be honest, these are the years to hurt & make hay while the sun shines at the draft.
As brutal as it sounds, a slow plodder with above average footskills is not the biggest issue of we lose him.

Pick 11 and its done. As much as I do not want him to do, pick 11 is overs for him.

james rose
Club Player

If I'm Richmond I'm almost prepared to give more than pick 11.

Adding one more quality inside mid would give them arguably the best midfield in the AFL.

He was pick 9 for us and is entering his prime, just because we're not in the hunt for the flag doesn't mean he is worth the first trade that comes along...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:If I'm Richmond I'm almost prepared to give more than pick 11.

Adding one more quality inside mid would give them arguably the best midfield in the AFL.

He was pick 9 for us and is entering his prime, just because we're not in the hunt for the flag doesn't mean he is worth the first trade that comes along...

What pick he was is not really that relevant I reckon. He's honest and on his day can be great, but not a dominant matchwinner. If it's a real offer would be tempting. Agree that 11 is a bit overs for Armo.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armo is a very good footballer. And tough as absolute nuts.
But sometimes its about time and place. This trade may suit all parties. But hed certainly be in their top 10 players. Without a doubt.
Hes in our top 5.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

One of the telecasts this year they had Armo mic'ed up pre-game (perhaps during too?) and he seemed to be one of the main talkers and motivators in the squad, especially in terms of encouraging and occasionally admonishing when warranted the young guys. Perhaps he was being more vocal than usual because of being watched but if that behaviour is normal then moving him on would leave a leadership hole short-term...

We have to find a balance between being brutal with list decisions for long-term success and making sure we don't end up like early Suns and Giants with a rudderless team of talented youngsters getting smashed every week. Roo can only do so much from up forward...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Pick 11 plus one of their fringe midfielders and I'd be tempted.

As others have said, losing Lenny and Armo would leave a gaping wound.

Do the Tiges have any midfielders that are just out of their 22?
Maybe Foley??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
FQF
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Pick 11 plus one of their fringe midfielders and I'd be tempted.

As others have said, losing Lenny and Armo would leave a gaping wound.

Do the Tiges have any midfielders that are just out of their 22?
Maybe Foley??
Not sure it's in our interests to take a fringe player from a mid ranking team - we have limited spots.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Is this true or trade week bulldust, do it if it is true, take pick 11 and make some other trade deals work, as long as we don't go backwards.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Austinnn
Club Player

We can't keep recycling players just to get good deals, Armo is a very good player, a loyal Saint who has been a great clubman and team player and unless he wants to go, he should stay and help keep the side ticking over for the next couple of years while Newness and Dunstan are still cutting their teeth.

I don't think pick 11 matches his value to us, frankly. No Deal.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:We can't keep recycling players just to get good deals, Armo is a very good player, a loyal Saint who has been a great clubman and team player and unless he wants to go, he should stay and help keep the side ticking over for the next couple of years while Newness and Dunstan are still cutting their teeth.

I don't think pick 11 matches his value to us, frankly. No Deal.
Yeah, this sort of thing does worry me also.

I can understand that we’re in full rebuild and that every player who is 25 years or older, or is not a star or potential star, is looked upon as tradeable. And in isolation, any scenario can look attractive.

However at some point we have to keep some of these guys and develop a sense of loyalty and sense of team.

If for nothing else, in order that we may attempt to attract players to join us in our rebuild and quest for the ultimate glory.

Players may be less attracted to our club if we develop a reputation as a revolving door; for simply turning players over for more players or picks.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I like armo but 11 is a great pick. We know our midfield is slow, so in all honesty if we were to speed it up I'd get rid of the older slow blokes before the young. Plus armo might be interested in playing finals again sooner rather than later.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

3.12pm: Ameet Bains tells Trade Radio there's "nothing to discuss" on David Armitage. He is contracted and not going anywhere

saint4life
spert
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:3.12pm: Ameet Bains tells Trade Radio there's "nothing to discuss" on David Armitage. He is contracted and not going anywhere
I wouldn't trust anything the clubs say about players movements.

ace
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:According to Trade Radio, Richmond may offer up pick 11 for Armitage. That's overs IMO so will be very interesting if true...
We bought Armitage with pick 9 in the 2006 draft so we have extracted 8 years out of him.
I think he is contracted until end of 2016.
He has at most 8 more years so the deal looks very attractive.
BUT
If he were to go to Richmond as a free agent in 2 years time, he could attract a first round compensation pick for us - that would be pick No 2 given our normal finishing position.
Melbourne has just received pick No 3 in this years draft as compensation for losing James Frawley.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Roo12

Come back to the real world Count Choclula. No one is offering 28 year old Armo a 5 year $600k deal. He would be a second or third round at best.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Firstly I would completely doubt pick 11 for Armo. maybe its a player and their second pick. However if it is pick 11 it is way over so the simple thing is to trade him but again it isn't that simple. If we lose Lenny and Armo, Jack will be sat on as we have no other players worth even looking at tagging. Our midfield will be smashed and thus our forwards smashed and the side is then smashed. We were beaten in a lot of games this year byt big margins but they will look close games if we lose Armo. Can the club afford not win a game and be smashed every week. Can the young forwards afford to hardly get a kick and lose confidence. Can the club afford to lose even more members and maybe sponsors.

I don't have an answer but it isn't as simple as yes because of those reasons. Still doubt 11 is anywhere on the table so case closed.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Firstly I would completely doubt pick 11 for Armo. maybe its a player and their second pick. However if it is pick 11 it is way over so the simple thing is to trade him but again it isn't that simple. If we lose Lenny and Armo, Jack will be sat on as we have no other players worth even looking at tagging. Our midfield will be smashed and thus our forwards smashed and the side is then smashed. We were beaten in a lot of games this year byt big margins but they will look close games if we lose Armo. Can the club afford not win a game and be smashed every week. Can the young forwards afford to hardly get a kick and lose confidence. Can the club afford to lose even more members and maybe sponsors.

I don't have an answer but it isn't as simple as yes because of those reasons. Still doubt 11 is anywhere on the table so case closed.
The Case is not closed until the club says it is or until the end of the trade period on October 17th.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Firstly I would completely doubt pick 11 for Armo. maybe its a player and their second pick. However if it is pick 11 it is way over so the simple thing is to trade him but again it isn't that simple. If we lose Lenny and Armo, Jack will be sat on as we have no other players worth even looking at tagging. Our midfield will be smashed and thus our forwards smashed and the side is then smashed. We were beaten in a lot of games this year byt big margins but they will look close games if we lose Armo. Can the club afford not win a game and be smashed every week. Can the young forwards afford to hardly get a kick and lose confidence. Can the club afford to lose even more members and maybe sponsors.

The Case is not closed until the club says it is or until the end of the trade period on October 17th.

Really. I thought we decided everything. Amazing.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Who would we be getting with pick 11? It's not overs if whoever is there is no good. Although personally I don't think we'll be letting him go so it's irrelevant.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

What's with this "we" business ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

Well you decided the case wasn't closed so that's at least 2 so its we. Get it.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

The SS forum Wayne. Don't you know the club checks out this forum and then does trades based on what we think? :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Bains just about to come on SEN.

Will summarise once he speaks

You are garbage - Enough said