Eff me, Kardinia Park to get 70 million upgrade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eff me, Kardinia Park to get 70 million upgrade

bigcarl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: I'm not a Cats supporter.
Wonder who the new premier supports?

I believe its Essendon so im unsure what you are getting at.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I wasn't "getting at" anything. Just wondering out loud.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Clown Andrews and the new Labor Loonies want to keep pumping money into this stadium.

What a friggin joke.

Do they have any brains?

What about the Junction and other projects??
the fact that they lack brains is a no brainer...for me at least.....don't blame me though....i don't vote for them.... :twisted:
Don't tell an Ambo or Firey that.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Anyway, it's good that Napthine and his bunch of losers are gone- Victoria was grinding to a halt and Geelong and regional Vic hurting. All will be well in Victoria when The Saints have a miraculous year in 2015, defy the odds, and win the flag with a young and inexperienced team.
well said

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

stinger wrote:.....don't blame me though....i don't vote for them.... :twisted:
But an unheard of 37% of your liberal 'mates' defied Gestapo HQ's orders, and helped put Ellen in as your local state member, Sting. :mrgreen:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

evertonfc wrote:We do a terrible job of rural and regional planning in Australia. Our centres outside the cities are dying and need urgent regeneration.

(That said, money for the Junction Oval redevelopment would be handy...)
Yes and yes from me!

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Geelong lost Alcoa as well.
And the Target factory/warehouse which employed a lot of women in the Geelong area. Tough times ahead for businesses in Geelong. The flow on effects from this have massive implications.

Geelong will become another Bacchus Marsh.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
lefty
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: I guess they're not interested in utilization otherwise EW link would be built
Not interested in spending 18 billion for a hole in the ground you mean.

Geelong has been terribly hit by the loss of Ford and Alcoa, but you want the No.1 priority to be the friggen JO.

What an absolute joke of priorities.

Thank god we got rid of the corrupt Liberal idiots and their uncosted, no Business Case hole in the gorund, dumb stupid E-W link rubbish.

No some real infrastructure can be built in the regions like Geelong and Ballarat.

Oh but that's right only Melbourne exists in some peoples eyes, mainly Liberals, who do care an iota how the regions are going.

Maybe that's why they were wiped out in Geelong and regions.
Mate, this is slight O/T, but do you understand how retarded it is having only Citylink to travel from the east to the west. When there's an accident in the tunnel or on the westgate, it causes major head aches. Travelling from the eastern freeway, and trying to get to Williamstown its a royal PITA, having to travel through the city/punt road and onto city road. Going to the airport again is a royal PITA, travelling through bell street. I think you have no idea what it's actually like, and its only going to get worst as time goes on. Logically it makes no sense at all to not link the majority of freeway's together, therefore reducing the need to travel into a city and further congesting it.

Now having said all that, I'm not saying I don't want trains and P/T, but building a few train lines here and there (Metro Rail), does not solve the car traffic congestion. Trains are get when you work in the city, not so great if you work in the suburbs. If I look at the Metro Rail plan, building a train line to Fishermans bend doesn't solve much. Having a link to the air port is nice, but its not necessary, how many elderly are seriously going to carry around large luggage, and what exactly is wrong with people paying for taxis, I mean, how many times does one travel in a year? Business can and should pay for an airport link, or continue to pay for taxis. For the average joe blow, it would be nice to have, but its not critical.

I might add that arguing that an apple is better than an orange is just stupid. Ideally, we will need both, which is the correct way, but someone saying, I want X, and someone saying, I want Y is silly. I wish we could separate revenue generated from cars/trucks, and money generated from P/T. Then they've each have their own budget and no one can or should be able to complain what to spend it on and where. I seriously wonder how much P/T actually contributes compared to cars which the governments benefit from in terms of servicing them, rego, tickets, petrol tax etc etc.

Further to that, justifying it as a win for Geelong is not right. Yes, they've been hit hard, but you can blame Abbott for dropping the support for the car manufacturers, but more importantly at the people that live in this country who cry foul when having to chip in a few dollars to sustain one. Along with the fact that the fed liberals deciding to axe carbon tax doesn't help manufacturers here in the renewable energy sector like wind farms, in fact, removing it only ensures that power costs will continually rise rather than drop, but then again, people are stupid and don't see that free energy costs less than digging dirt from the ground. This had really nothing to do with the state Liberal party, they did not make the call to drop support for the car manufacturing sector, they did not make the call to cut renewable energy. These two issues were major problems that the state coped, and it would not of matter if Labor or Liberal were in at the time as it was a Federal decision. I don't think spending $70B on Kardinia or Skilled Stadium, whatever it is, is actually worth it. I'd rather be setting up someone more sustainable.

Now good luck to our JO plan.... and lets hope there's some fish left in the bay considering how commercial fishing has f***** it quite badly.
Also, please note, I'm not a fanboy or Lib or Lab or anyone, I'm actually a left sided person, but I don't have much faith in state Labor. The majority of people want the E/W link, but I guess the squeeky wheel gets the most attention.

Pleasing
Club Player

East West Link was a white elephant from the start the vast majority of people using the Eastern Freeway are traveling to the City or inner city suburbs. Most people in the East have no reason to go West I can't see how East West solved any problem what so ever. The traffic would still just be dumped on Punt Road and into Carlton.

It was an election stunt aimed to show a Government who had done nothing for 2 years was now finally going to do something.

Much better to finish the outer metro ring road and connect the Greensborough end to the Ringwood end of East Link. And improve Public Transport for those heading to the city.

Let me in
gringo
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: I guess they're not interested in utilization otherwise EW link would be built
Not interested in spending 18 billion for a hole in the ground you mean.

Geelong has been terribly hit by the loss of Ford and Alcoa, but you want the No.1 priority to be the friggen JO.

What an absolute joke of priorities.

Thank god we got rid of the corrupt Liberal idiots and their uncosted, no Business Case hole in the gorund, dumb stupid E-W link rubbish.

No some real infrastructure can be built in the regions like Geelong and Ballarat.

Oh but that's right only Melbourne exists in some peoples eyes, mainly Liberals, who do care an iota how the regions are going.

Maybe that's why they were wiped out in Geelong and regions.
Mate, this is slight O/T, but do you understand how retarded it is having only Citylink to travel from the east to the west. When there's an accident in the tunnel or on the westgate, it causes major head aches. Travelling from the eastern freeway, and trying to get to Williamstown its a royal PITA, having to travel through the city/punt road and onto city road. Going to the airport again is a royal PITA, travelling through bell street. I think you have no idea what it's actually like, and its only going to get worst as time goes on. Logically it makes no sense at all to not link the majority of freeway's together, therefore reducing the need to travel into a city and further congesting it.

Now having said all that, I'm not saying I don't want trains and P/T, but building a few train lines here and there (Metro Rail), does not solve the car traffic congestion. Trains are get when you work in the city, not so great if you work in the suburbs. If I look at the Metro Rail plan, building a train line to Fishermans bend doesn't solve much. Having a link to the air port is nice, but its not necessary, how many elderly are seriously going to carry around large luggage, and what exactly is wrong with people paying for taxis, I mean, how many times does one travel in a year? Business can and should pay for an airport link, or continue to pay for taxis. For the average joe blow, it would be nice to have, but its not critical.

I might add that arguing that an apple is better than an orange is just stupid. Ideally, we will need both, which is the correct way, but someone saying, I want X, and someone saying, I want Y is silly. I wish we could separate revenue generated from cars/trucks, and money generated from P/T. Then they've each have their own budget and no one can or should be able to complain what to spend it on and where. I seriously wonder how much P/T actually contributes compared to cars which the governments benefit from in terms of servicing them, rego, tickets, petrol tax etc etc.

Further to that, justifying it as a win for Geelong is not right. Yes, they've been hit hard, but you can blame Abbott for dropping the support for the car manufacturers, but more importantly at the people that live in this country who cry foul when having to chip in a few dollars to sustain one. Along with the fact that the fed liberals deciding to axe carbon tax doesn't help manufacturers here in the renewable energy sector like wind farms, in fact, removing it only ensures that power costs will continually rise rather than drop, but then again, people are stupid and don't see that free energy costs less than digging dirt from the ground. This had really nothing to do with the state Liberal party, they did not make the call to drop support for the car manufacturing sector, they did not make the call to cut renewable energy. These two issues were major problems that the state coped, and it would not of matter if Labor or Liberal were in at the time as it was a Federal decision. I don't think spending $70B on Kardinia or Skilled Stadium, whatever it is, is actually worth it. I'd rather be setting up someone more sustainable.

Now good luck to our JO plan.... and lets hope there's some fish left in the bay considering how commercial fishing has f***** it quite badly.
Also, please note, I'm not a fanboy or Lib or Lab or anyone, I'm actually a left sided person, but I don't have much faith in state Labor. The majority of people want the E/W link, but I guess the squeeky wheel gets the most attention.
A mate was working for a wind turbine firm that has pulled out and moved back overseas after the federal government pulled the emissions trading scheme planning. Victorian Liberals supported a ban on all turbines with in range of any town or house so helped kill it off. They were lobbied by a group called the landscape guardians who are a front. It was a pretty shameful episode.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Those wind turbines look so nice. It's a pity the ocean and rolling hills spoil the look of them.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Those wind turbines look so nice. It's a pity the ocean and rolling hills spoil the look of them.
No worse than any other development. Towers and shopping centres aren't any prettier. The good people of the Latrobe Valley love the look of their smoke stacks too.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Pleasing wrote:East West Link was a white elephant from the start the vast majority of people using the Eastern Freeway are traveling to the City or inner city suburbs. Most people in the East have no reason to go West I can't see how East West solved any problem what so ever. The traffic would still just be dumped on Punt Road and into Carlton.

It was an election stunt aimed to show a Government who had done nothing for 2 years was now finally going to do something.

Much better to finish the outer metro ring road and connect the Greensborough end to the Ringwood end of East Link. And improve Public Transport for those heading to the city.
The completion of the outer ring road would be fantastic but I still think the east/west link would also help ease congestion. I don't think anyone realises that not all people using the monash/westgate or eastern/tulla freeways are all going into the city. Many use these roads to go cross town as I do for my work all the time.

Fancy in this day and age (2014) there is one lane each way to go from the east or west of the city near the zoo (without going through the actual city).

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Clown Andrews and the new Labor Loonies want to keep pumping money into this stadium.

What a friggin joke.

Do they have any brains?

Why would you compare Kardinia Park to Junction Oval?

They have more brains than you!
Geelong is a regional city with a population in need of support to keep the city a viable place to live and bring up a family.
St Kilda is a suburb of Melbourne populated by pretentious trendies, of whom you are probably one.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Megamaguire
Club Player

Kardinia Park to get $70 million

evertonfc wrote:I can live with the upgrades to Kardinia Park.
It's actually important that Melbourne has a fully-functioning junior city that can take the "overflow" - and Geelong needs to be set up for this purpose.
Melbourne is well on its way to becoming too large for its own good. We want first-world lifestyles, and that means urban sprawl. First-world urban sprawl means never-ending suburbs - which need endless serving.

A far better way is to ramp up the infrastructure of regional towns and cities. Ideally, Geelong should be pushing to become a 500,000-strong city within 20 years. Imagine the load of congestion that would take off Melbourne?
We do a terrible job of rural and regional planning in Australia. Our centres outside the cities are dying and need urgent regeneration. ,(That said, money for the Junction Oval redevelopment would be handy...)
Some good points here evertonfc, Everyone benefits if the brains in the political parties embrace the notion of more longer-range planning. Geelong as an 'overflow city' makes sense in itself and on the regional argument i think it's better to invest in major regional cities/ towns than feeding the ballooning snarling beast that has become Melbourne - I'm thinking Car-City mainly when i think of the growth = sprawl model with citizens being squeezed into sardine livin goin fwd.
As for Geelong I always liked the walk through the trees to K.P (haven't done it this decade though) and echoing others I couldn't begrudge 'geewrong' getting a financial boost after the job slashing they have received. Like G.Thomas in his coaching day I think we can still learn from Geewrong and not just from their 'youth academy' but in their financial successes too !
Just to compare their performance with the Hawks over the last 8 years or so they are i think working at reducing the gap between themselves and the likes of Hawthorn. In terms of premierships the Cats have done very well and it looks like they wont be letting the Hawks put as much distance between them financially as could easily happen.
More people to move to Geelong is good for Melb. too and a bigger capacity K.P. will fill up more as a result.
They could even rent it out to the likes of us @ St.Kilda and we could do better than playing out of The Dome. :D

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

What a friggin joke.

Do they have any brains?

Why would you compare Kardinia Park to Junction Oval?

They have more brains than you!
Geelong is a regional city with a population in need of support to keep the city a viable place to live and bring up a family.
St Kilda is a suburb of Melbourne populated by pretentious trendies, of whom you are probably one.
Do you mean the unemployed, druggie, homeless trendies who are wondering around St Kilda at the moment?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kardinia Park to get $70 million

Megamaguire wrote: They could even rent it out to the likes of us @ St.Kilda and we could do better than playing out of The Dome. :D

GO SAINTS!
They've already offered the Poodles $725,000 per home game if they shift some down there.

Whilst we are re-building, I reckon that we should take up the offer.

So for example, four games would be worth $3mil or more net to us... that'd make a nice hole in our debt. :idea:

Doing the sums:
$2.9mil from those four games,
but that 'net' result, factors in that those shifted games would have drawn less than the required 30,000 breakeven crowd at Dockedlands.
So for example, a 26,000 crowd at Dockedlands costs us ~$75K. :evil:
However, move that game to Hillbilly Stadium, and we're up a net $800K on that game.
Win win? Actually... lost turned into a win. 8-)

I know certain Saintsationalists maybe loath to travel beyond their ~15km radius comfort zone, but I'm sure there's gotta' be a KFC somewhere in Hillbillytown(?) :D

Hey, CW, this sort of suggestion is right up your alley. How come you haven't posted it yet? :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Megamaguire wrote: They could even rent it out to the likes of us @ St.Kilda and we could do better than playing out of The Dome. :D

GO SAINTS!
They've already offered the Poodles $725,000 per home game if they shift some down there.

So for example, four games would be worth $3mil or more net to us... that'd make a nice hole in our debt. :idea:

Doing the sums:
but that 'net' result, factors in that those shifted games would have drawn less than the required 30,000 breakeven crowd at Dockedlands.
However, move that game to Hillbilly Stadium, and we're up a net $800K on that game.

I know certain Saintsationalists maybe loath to travel beyond their ~15km radius comfort zone, but I'm sure there's gotta' be a KFC somewhere in Hillbillytown(?) :D

Dave they aren't going to offer us the same as the WB who I gather is that pathetic name, poodles. Just because you mention things about 100 times doesn't make it right. It just makes it wrong 100 times. And speak English because the other crap is neither funny or clever, its just annoying for most humans.

Hey, CW, this sort of suggestion is right up your alley. How come you haven't posted it yet? :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

GO SAINTS!

Doing the sums:

Dave they aren't going to offer us the same as the WB who I gather is that pathetic name, poodles. Just because you mention things about 100 times doesn't make it right. It just makes it wrong 100 times. And speak English because the other crap is neither funny or clever, its just annoying for most humans.
(That's better laid out, now I can read who actually wrote what. :wink: )

P66, now that you've (once more) established that you do know what enemy team various terms of derision are referring to, :P
can you please elaborate on why the Hillbillies would not offer anyone money to shift some home matches down to you-know-where?

I mean, if their ground is vacant, and the Hillbillies stage some games there, and so turn a profit out of thin air...?

Surely you'd do the same in their situation???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

GO SAINTS!

Doing the sums:

P66, now that you've (once more) established that you do know what enemy team various terms of derision are referring to, :P
can you please elaborate on why the Hillbillies would not offer anyone money to shift some home matches down to you-know-where?

I mean, if their ground is vacant, and the Hillbillies stage some games there, and so turn a profit out of thin air...?

I don't want to call you dumb but you are. The size of the crowd matters and we aren't going to get a crowd like the WB on the other side of the city. Luckily I doubt anyone has ever employed you. They couldn't be that silly.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

GO SAINTS!

Doing the sums:

I don't want to call you dumb but you are. The size of the crowd matters and we aren't going to get a crowd like the WB on the other side of the city. Luckily I doubt anyone has ever employed you. They couldn't be that silly.
P66, I realise that fighting 'battles' on multiple fronts is taxing on your time, but sometimes you do need to read what is written a bit more carefully before jumping in.

Under such an arrangement (as above), the size of the crowd would be the problem of the Hillbillies. We (or the Poodles, or anyone else who signed up) would just turn up and play.

Then go home with a massive profit... c/f paying out to Collo' :evil: for the 'privilege' of having played that same game at Dockedlands.

PS: Luckily for me, there're a couple of 'silly' people right now. But thank you for your concern.

PPS: Luckily for us, I doubt anyone at our club has ever employed you to be involved in planning out our future directions.

However, your involvement in the billeting of our players was a much better move. And why do you always deny something that you should be proud of? :? (Besides, there's that article that used to be on the club website to prove it. :idea: )
I say sincere kudos to you on that, P66. No reason to 'hide your light under a bushel'. (Sorry of you don't get that ref... it's biblical. :wink:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Pleasing wrote:East West Link was a white elephant from the start the vast majority of people using the Eastern Freeway are traveling to the City or inner city suburbs. Most people in the East have no reason to go West I can't see how East West solved any problem what so ever. The traffic would still just be dumped on Punt Road and into Carlton.

Funniest thing I have read on here for a long time.
Just forward that transport modelling you have done to prove your point.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

IF any other team were to play games at Geelong then there would be certain caveats in the contract whereby a particular amount of crowd would be required to earn the top dollar. I'm sure Geelong will pay out $500k (or whatever) for a handful of people and a dog to turn up. It wouldn't be a blank cheque.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

GO SAINTS!

Doing the sums:

P66, I realise that fighting 'battles' on multiple fronts is taxing on your time, but sometimes you do need to read what is written a bit more carefully before jumping in.

Under such an arrangement (as above), the size of the crowd would be the problem of the Hillbillies. We (or the Poodles, or anyone else who signed up) would just turn up and play.

Then go home with a massive profit... c/f paying out to Collo' :evil: for the 'privilege' of having played that same game at Dockedlands.

PS: Luckily for me, there're a couple of 'silly' people right now. But thank you for your concern.

PPS: Luckily for us, I doubt anyone at our club has ever employed you to be involved in planning out our future directions.

However, your involvement in the billeting of our players was a much better move. And why do you always deny something that you should be proud of? :? (Besides, there's that article that used to be on the club website to prove it. :idea: )
I say sincere kudos to you on that, P66. No reason to 'hide your light under a bushel'. (Sorry of you don't get that ref... it's biblical. :wink:

You are a complete fool and Ibase that on nothing at all. I pity anyone who actually knows you. Get a life and quickly.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

GO SAINTS!

Doing the sums:

I say sincere kudos to you on that, P66. No reason to 'hide your light under a bushel'. (Sorry of you don't get that ref... it's biblical. :wink: )
You are a complete fool and Ibase that on nothing at all. I pity anyone who actually knows you. Get a life and quickly.
Whilst I'm getting another life P66, maybe you could put up a post that addresses the issues(?) There are currently several threads running in which you have yet to take up that 'opportunity'.

Here's how you could do it... :wink:

Re your and Jacks' concern, that's why I wrote the following sentence, and included the word 'if'...
"I mean, if their ground is vacant, and the Hillbillies stage some games there, and so turn a profit out of thin air...? "

So of course the Hillbillies would only do such a deal if there was some $$$ in it for them also. Yet they offered the Poodles $725K a game... and the Poodles very rarely draw significant crowds...

I haven't read the fine print (have you?), but the Poodles would hardly move some home games down there without a guaranteed significant financial pay-off. (Or is their management as incompetent as the Dreamon's recruiting department? :lol: )

PS: And I still say you shouldn't be in denial of your contributions to our club, P66. You should be proud. :D