The 80's....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The 80's....

White Winmar wrote:I 'm just glad I plated footy throughout the 80's and early 90's.
Is this your work?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

That era was absolutely atrocious and frustrating and it went on and on and on.
My godfather was the bloke who used to drive the players' gear van to the various grounds on match day, starting in the Allan Jeans era, and was sacked by the club (he was just a volunteer) on the day of Jezza's first famous drawn match as playing captain-coach against the Tiggers at the G in 1980; as he was considered one of the Mike Patterson brigade (he was).
In this respect, for me anyway, the dismal era started in 77 when I was 9, and finished in September 92 when I was 24, when we finally stopped the rot and beat the Maggies in that famous final at VFL Park, with Lockett, Frawley and Winmar leading the charge.
Of all those years, 1979 was the worst, and the two worst losses for me during this entire era were against Footscray at the Western Oval '79, and in the same year against North at VFL Park. Absolutely without hope, we were then.
And to think that right now, in 2014, we still had a worse percentage than any of those years fills me with absolute dread, it really does.
I obviously missed the late sixties and can't remember the early 70s, but anyone who lived through that era and actually went to games would probably not have this Utopian/ Valhalla-type attachment to Moorabbin. Great atmosphere for two or three matches every year, but that time has passed.

FWIW my two favourite wins during this era were against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval in 1983 and Carlton at Moorabbin in 1989, with honourable mentions for the wins against Hawthorn at Moorabbin 1990 and against Footscray at Moorabbin in 1987.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I 'm just glad I plated footy throughout the 80's and early 90's.
Is this your work?
Bloody predictive text! :D :D :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Johnny Favier
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:That era was absolutely atrocious and frustrating and it went on and on and on.
My godfather was the bloke who used to drive the players' gear van to the various grounds on match day, starting in the Allan Jeans era, and was sacked by the club (he was just a volunteer) on the day of Jezza's first famous drawn match as playing captain-coach against the Tiggers at the G in 1980; as he was considered one of the Mike Patterson brigade (he was).
In this respect, for me anyway, the dismal era started in 77 when I was 9, and finished in September 92 when I was 24, when we finally stopped the rot and beat the Maggies in that famous final at VFL Park, with Lockett, Frawley and Winmar leading the charge.
Of all those years, 1979 was the worst, and the two worst losses for me during this entire era were against Footscray at the Western Oval '79, and in the same year against North at VFL Park. Absolutely without hope, we were then.
And to think that right now, in 2014, we still had a worse percentage than any of those years fills me with absolute dread, it really does.
I obviously missed the late sixties and can't remember the early 70s, but anyone who lived through that era and actually went to games would probably not have this Utopian/ Valhalla-type attachment to Moorabbin. Great atmosphere for two or three matches every year, but that time has passed.

FWIW my two favourite wins during this era were against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval in 1983 and Carlton at Moorabbin in 1989, with honourable mentions for the wins against Hawthorn at Moorabbin 1990 and against Footscray at Moorabbin in 1987.
Thanks for bringing up that win against Fitzroy in 83! Absolutely amazing win that was....complete strangers hugging each other in the outer after the final siren...completely off the leash the excitement was that day. I'll never forget it.

The Footscray win, was that the one when Gary Odgers unloaded a long bomb deep in time-on to seal the game, or was that in 85?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yep, that's the Footscray game you're thinking of.

And that Fitzroy game at the Junction Oval had one of the most amazing third quarters of all time. Goals after goals. The two Sidebottom brothers were handpassing to each other at one stage and they were playing for opposing clubs. Max Crow played up forward and we knocked Fitzroy off the top of the the ladder that day.
Fantastic conditions for footy that day, sushine and a sea breeze. That was back in the days when teams kicked 8-12 goals in a quarter, not 7 in an entire game.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Yep, that's the Footscray game you're thinking of.

And that Fitzroy game at the Junction Oval had one of the most amazing third quarters of all time. Goals after goals. The two Sidebottom brothers were handpassing to each other at one stage and they were playing for opposing clubs. Max Crow played up forward and we knocked Fitzroy off the top of the the ladder that day.
Fantastic conditions for footy that day, sushine and a sea breeze. That was back in the days when teams kicked 8-12 goals in a quarter, not 7 in an entire game.
Mmmm, that's the Junction Oval where Dave wants to move back to.

Fitzroy v St Kilda in 1983 at the Junction Oval - 11 goals each in the second quarter :shock:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Ajantis wrote:All the players didnt like ! Darrel Bulldog as a coach...Apprently he wasnt a people's coach ( its not a personal attack on darrel ).
By "Bulldog" I assume you refer to Baldock? But for the life of me, I don't understand how any true St.Kilda supporter would refer to him by that name.

spot on mate......you have spotted the troll...
A shame if true, Sting. The moderators have been fantastic in making Saintsational a troll-free zone in the last six months or so.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
stinger wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Ajantis wrote:All the players didnt like ! Darrel Bulldog as a coach...Apprently he wasnt a people's coach ( its not a personal attack on darrel ).
By "Bulldog" I assume you refer to Baldock? But for the life of me, I don't understand how any true St.Kilda supporter would refer to him by that name.

spot on mate......you have spotted the troll...
A shame if true, Sting. The moderators have been fantastic in making Saintsational a troll-free zone in the last six months or so.

Its just bloody predictive text. Why do people look for the worst in others. I can understand Stinger but not you.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Its just bloody predictive text. Why do people look for the worst in others. I can understand Stinger but not you.
Fair call, Plugger. It's never all too wise to make assumptions about others right off the bat.

I am more than happy to give the OP the benefit of the doubt if they can go back edit their OP :idea:

Playon
Club Player

It didn't stop there, Spider used to be hot and cold, one of the reasons was because he was on the piss until 3am or later the night before game day. Well that's from one of his past neighbors and used to create quite a ruck-ass (pun intended) in the hood . Played hungover.
Culture was a problem for a long time.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:It didn't stop there, Spider used to be hot and cold, one of the reasons was because he was on the piss until 3am or later the night before game day. Well that's from one of his past neighbors and used to create quite a ruck-ass (pun intended) in the hood . Played hungover.
That's all good but Spider didn't play till the '90's!

spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember the '80s era all too well. I spent a lot of time around the club then along with mates who were involved one way or the other. Terrible undiscipined leadership from the top, no vision for the future, no understanding of what it took to build a successful club- it was a real headless chicken running around the farmyard and I used to come away shaking my head in despair from listening to some of the drivel from commitee people and players in the social club after games. The club just saw the solution to everything as getting a couple of proven players here and there, pick up a premiership coach, put them in a room together and that will solve the problem. Fast forward to 2013 Saints and after the Watters sacking, I again had to shake my head in disbelief as I thought this was the '80s all over again- a club that instead of supporting its senior coach like a successful club would, rather caves in to a few disgruntled people and a couple of sooks. Happy New year all.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Fast forward to 2013 Saints and after the Watters sacking, I again had to shake my head in disbelief as I thought this was the '80s all over again- a club that instead of supporting its senior coach like a successful club would, rather caves in to a few disgruntled people and a couple of sooks. Happy New year all.
Are you suggesting we should have stuck it out with Watters?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Are you suggesting we should have stuck it out with Watters?
To be fair, the little fella was really on fire at the end.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Sainternist wrote: Are you suggesting we should have stuck it out with Watters?
To be fair, the little fella was really on fire at the end.
HNY Doc! Still in form in 2015.

Playon
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:
Playon wrote:It didn't stop there, Spider used to be hot and cold, one of the reasons was because he was on the piss until 3am or later the night before game day. Well that's from one of his past neighbors and used to create quite a ruck-ass (pun intended) in the hood . Played hungover.
That was the point, when did the 80's really end or has it?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I remember the '80s era all too well. I spent a lot of time around the club then along with mates who were involved one way or the other. Terrible undiscipined leadership from the top, no vision for the future, no understanding of what it took to build a successful club- it was a real headless chicken running around the farmyard and I used to come away shaking my head in despair from listening to some of the drivel from commitee people and players in the social club after games. The club just saw the solution to everything as getting a couple of proven players here and there, pick up a premiership coach, put them in a room together and that will solve the problem. Fast forward to 2013 Saints and after the Watters sacking, I again had to shake my head in disbelief as I thought this was the '80s all over again- a club that instead of supporting its senior coach like a successful club would, rather caves in to a few disgruntled people and a couple of sooks. Happy New year all.

Oh, please get off it.

Yes we have had big issues over the years but you can't compare what happened in the 80s to the dismissal of Watters. Completely different issues.

I just wonder how you had time to attend Sunday church given all the time you spent around the club.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
spert wrote:I remember the '80s era all too well. I spent a lot of time around the club then along with mates who were involved one way or the other. Terrible undiscipined leadership from the top, no vision for the future, no understanding of what it took to build a successful club- it was a real headless chicken running around the farmyard and I used to come away shaking my head in despair from listening to some of the drivel from commitee people and players in the social club after games. The club just saw the solution to everything as getting a couple of proven players here and there, pick up a premiership coach, put them in a room together and that will solve the problem. Fast forward to 2013 Saints and after the Watters sacking, I again had to shake my head in disbelief as I thought this was the '80s all over again- a club that instead of supporting its senior coach like a successful club would, rather caves in to a few disgruntled people and a couple of sooks. Happy New year all.

Oh, please get off it.

Yes we have had big issues over the years but you can't compare what happened in the 80s to the dismissal of Watters. Completely different issues.

I just wonder how you had time to attend Sunday church given all the time you spent around the club.
I went to church services early on Sunday mornings SaintPav, just when some of the players and officials were getting home from another allnighter after the game :D ...and while people keep dragging up the past, I'm sure to respond. Sure Watters is gone, but as far as the football world and potential sponsors go, all they see and all they want to see, is yet again, the unsuccessful Saints sack another coach..sounds very '80s to me. A successful club like Hawthorn would have seen his contract out and then released him, but professionalism has never been a big priority with us sadly, and 2014 season summed it up for me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Oh, please get off it.

I went to church services early on Sunday mornings SaintPav, just when some of the players and officials were getting home from another allnighter after the game :D ...and while people keep dragging up the past, I'm sure to respond. Sure Watters is gone, but as far as the football world and potential sponsors go, all they see and all they want to see, is yet again, the unsuccessful Saints sack another coach..sounds very '80s to me. A successful club like Hawthorn would have seen his contract out and then released him, but professionalism has never been a big priority with us sadly, and 2014 season summed it up for me.

Except you just continue to ignore all the evidence that the bloke was completely off tap no matter how any say it. Im not into sacking coaches before the term finishes but he lost just about everyone. Its time you accept all the evidence.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Oh, please get off it.

Except you just continue to ignore all the evidence that the bloke was completely off tap no matter how any say it. Im not into sacking coaches before the term finishes but he lost just about everyone. Its time you accept all the evidence.
Spert, thanks for your good natured response but i agree with Plugger on this..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
That was the point, when did the 80's really end or has it?
I think the 80s ended in September 1992 when we beat Collingwood in the Elimination Final at Waverley. Others, like Russell Holmesby and Jules Feldman, are of the opinion that our era of perennial underachivement was a year before, in September 1991, when we fronted up to the Cats in an Elimination Final at VFL Park, and lost narrowly.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:I think the 80s ended in September 1992 when we beat Collingwood in the Elimination Final at Waverley. Others, like Russell Holmesby and Jules Feldman, are of the opinion that our era of perennial underachivement was a year before, in September 1991, when we fronted up to the Cats in an Elimination Final at VFL Park, and lost narrowly.
...and we wouldn't have lost that final at all if Ablett hadn't knocked out both Burkey and Davey Grant. (And maybe if Plugger hadn't missed a couple of easy ones.)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Pffft.
What we are in now is nothing like the 80s.

Imo

darylcowie
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Yep, that's the Footscray game you're thinking of.

Mmmm, that's the Junction Oval where Dave wants to move back to.

Fitzroy v St Kilda in 1983 at the Junction Oval - 11 goals each in the second quarter :shock:
WOW, weren't their shorts tight back in those days!

Interesting to see Allan Sidebottom having an influence at the centre bounces, but not around the ground, that's why he never cut it as a VFL ruckman for me.

Also interesting to see that my namesake was playing on Bernie Quinlan, as if he needed any help to get a kick (Quinlan that is).

Our mosquito fleet looked quite effective though: Packham, Meehan and Daryl Cunningham all winning plenty of the ball.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Pffft.
What we are in now is nothing like the 80s.

Imo

You're right, they're not the same.

But last year's for and against percentage of barely 60% was much worse than anything those sides circa 1977 - 1990 dished up. THAT is a major worry.