Onya Gil - lower food prices at The MCG!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Onya Gil - lower food prices at The MCG!

Simple. Don't take kids, or bring your own food.

Sheesh, talk about sweating the important stuff about football :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Simple. Don't take kids, or bring your own food.

Sheesh, talk about sweating the important stuff about football :roll:

Or don't go at all and watch it on foxtel. Don't by a membership then you can afford the foxtel. All sorted. Let some other c$%#% pay for the team to exist. The problem with society right there. The good thing is the kids prefer soccer and they can attend the games as they are at better times of day and the sport is more relevant to them. AFL will start to contract it's dominance over the next few decades and the more they scare off fans the worse it will get. They got cocky and lost a lot of what they had built up. Now they are desperately grabbing at the petty gripes of the people in a Tony Abbott style show of control. I think things like the food are more symbolic of a general disdain that has set in for a lot of fans. A bit like the guy who can't stand the pain of job insecurity and mortgage stress taking it out on boat people. It's more symbolic than anything. The food won't fix it.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Or don't go at all and watch it on foxtel.
I do that sometimes
gringo wrote: Don't by a membership then you can afford the foxtel.
Not quite. But maybe. The TV rights are more important than membership anyway.
gringo wrote: All sorted. Let some other c$%#% pay for the team to exist.
Don't call Rupert that, what has he ever done to you?
gringo wrote: The problem with society right there.
Yup - society is to blame
gringo wrote:The good thing is the kids prefer soccer and they can attend the games as they are at better times of day and the sport is more relevant to them.
The bad thing is that soccer is a great game to play, a crap game to watch.
gringo wrote:AFL will start to contract it's dominance over the next few decades and the more they scare off fans the worse it will get.
All this from food prices, nice extrapolation there gringo. Tell me is the food cheap at soccer?
gringo wrote:They got cocky and lost a lot of what they had built up. Now they are desperately grabbing at the petty gripes of the people in a Tony Abbott style show of control.
stats don't bear out your assertion. Membership is way up on, crowds also. Broadcast rights set to be as big or bigger than ever. AFL have always had control
gringo wrote: I think things like the food are more symbolic of a general disdain that has set in for a lot of fans.
Don't buy the food then.
gringo wrote:A bit like the guy who can't stand the pain of job insecurity and mortgage stress taking it out on boat people. It's more symbolic than anything. The food won't fix it.
No but the "gameday experience" will. I always thought the gameday experience was the footy.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I miss The Peanut Man.

Footy's not the same without him....

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:I always thought the gameday experience was the footy.
That is the salient point.
Ever since ground rationalisation and the demise of the reserves, the AFL have been wondering what to do in the lead up to games.
Grounds don't fill up until just before the start of the game.
The meaningless replay of a past encounter on the TV's don't cut it, the silly competitions on the ground don't cut it.
People go to the footy to watch the bloody footy.
If they wanted to listen to conversation drowning, loud music and drink overpriced alcohol, they'd go a bloody night club.

Wherever possible the AFL should play reserves games prior to the main game. Get people out of the bars and into the seats to watch the support act. I know it's unlikely when there are three games on at Etihad on some weekends...but where there is only one or two then get the VFL feeder team of the home team playing before the main game.

Footy used to represent the best value sporting option going around...You'd often get two quality games of footy for the price of admission.

On the food...It has never been cheap compared to the "real world" but it was never as over-priced as now...and, no, footy is not the only culprit. Cricket is no better.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:I always thought the gameday experience was the footy.
That is the salient point.
Ever since ground rationalisation and the demise of the reserves, the AFL have been wondering what to do in the lead up to games.
Grounds don't fill up until just before the start of the game.
The meaningless replay of a past encounter on the TV's don't cut it, the silly competitions on the ground don't cut it.
People go to the footy to watch the bloody footy.
If they wanted to listen to conversation drowning, loud music and drink overpriced alcohol, they'd go a bloody night club.

Wherever possible the AFL should play reserves games prior to the main game. Get people out of the bars and into the seats to watch the support act. I know it's unlikely when there are three games on at Etihad on some weekends...but where there is only one or two then get the VFL feeder team of the home team playing before the main game.

Footy used to represent the best value sporting option going around...You'd often get two quality games of footy for the price of admission.

On the food...It has never been cheap compared to the "real world" but it was never as over-priced as now...and, no, footy is not the only culprit. Cricket is no better.
And especially for the young fans, food is an essential part of the experience. A hot pie, or chips was essential to the fun of the day, much in the way a cold beer was the go for the older brigade. It's why the niche was exploited by money hungry catering companies. It just went too far. It's a classic case of what the market will tolerate. Now we know. The people of Rome have spoken and Emperor Gillon has responded. Well done and about time.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
I do that sometimes
gringo wrote:The good thing is the kids prefer soccer and they can attend the games as they are at better times of day and the sport is more relevant to them.
gringo wrote:AFL will start to contract it's dominance over the next few decades and the more they scare off fans the worse it will get.
All this from food prices, nice extrapolation there gringo. Tell me is the food cheap at soccer?
gringo wrote:They got cocky and lost a lot of what they had built up. Now they are desperately grabbing at the petty gripes of the people in a Tony Abbott style show of control.
stats don't bear out your assertion. Membership is way up on, crowds also. Broadcast rights set to be as big or bigger than ever. AFL have always had control
gringo wrote: I think things like the food are more symbolic of a general disdain that has set in for a lot of fans.
Don't buy the food then.
gringo wrote:A bit like the guy who can't stand the pain of job insecurity and mortgage stress taking it out on boat people. It's more symbolic than anything. The food won't fix it.
No but the "gameday experience" will. I always thought the gameday experience was the footy.
I reckon they have lost a lot of what made the footy great. The whole experience of going to the games at the old suburban grounds, the tribal feel, the intimacy of the grounds and a whole lot of the experiential stuff is lost now and there is not enough of a difference. The participation is down, the attendances are down and you said memberships are not what it's about. Sports that only show on pay TV lose mass exposure and disappear. They are also going to have to deal with internet access to any sport live anywhere in the world. The TV right will only last so long at current values. I don't have the answers but they need this to be a kick arse season.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: I reckon they have lost a lot of what made the footy great. The whole experience of going to the games at the old suburban grounds, the tribal feel, the intimacy of the grounds and a whole lot of the experiential stuff is lost now and there is not enough of a difference. The participation is down, the attendances are down and you said memberships are not what it's about. Sports that only show on pay TV lose mass exposure and disappear. They are also going to have to deal with internet access to any sport live anywhere in the world. The TV right will only last so long at current values. I don't have the answers but they need this to be a kick arse season.
I agree with a lot of the above.

WTF is a "gameday experience"?

I am hearing songs and fireworks???????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Really?

20/20 has to do that because it is a poor imitation of the real thing.

Does football have to do such rot?

We have constant advertisments at 1 billion decibels at the breaks. Some flog with a microphone trying to "rev" up the crowd (like the game doesn't do that), we have a all sorts of things to distract us from what we are there to see - the bloody football.

If the sport (no not the product) cant get the crowd excited, loud pop songs and halftime competitions wont drag the crowds through the gates.

Gameday experiences is so contrived, and so lazy, it is ads for betting, and loud music, bloody hell don't we deserve to be treated as adults and allowed to watch the footy and go home?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Beer, Food and Valium should all be free at every game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
I do that sometimes
Don't buy the food then.
I reckon they have lost a lot of what made the footy great. The whole experience of going to the games at the old suburban grounds, the tribal feel, the intimacy of the grounds and a whole lot of the experiential stuff is lost now and there is not enough of a difference. The participation is down, the attendances are down and you said memberships are not what it's about. Sports that only show on pay TV lose mass exposure and disappear. They are also going to have to deal with internet access to any sport live anywhere in the world. The TV right will only last so long at current values. I don't have the answers but they need this to be a kick arse season.

What does sports only shown on pay TV gpt to do with AFL footy? And what did you mean that kids prefer to watch soccer? Doesn't show on TV or people at the games. They prefer to play it because parents are soft these days and it is an easy sport to teach, less injuries so less people suing and also kids are getting softer by the year. Soccer has been more popular to play than AFL for years. The gap is bigger for the reasons I suggested not because of suburban grounds