Jack Steven recommits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven recommits

St Chris wrote:Great news - there was absolutely no way the "brains trust" could have sold it to the masses if we'd let him walk.

He was the most critical signing for this club since Roo was reportedly being wooed to head to the Gold Coast, and to lock him in for 5 years is a great result. Now it's up to Jack to repay that faith and get back to his B&F form.
Great news. Jack will be one of the foundation stones we will build our future on. So yes, I agree with your comments completely.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Membership well up and past 30k already, players resigning, new sponsorships, we've had an outstanding off season off field.
The on field stuff hopefully isn't too far away.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Membership well up and past 30k already, players resigning, new sponsorships, we've had an outstanding off season off field.
The on field stuff hopefully isn't too far away.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
FQF
SS Life Member

Next on the list must be Armo and Billings

minneapolis
Club Player

A great performance by the Management Team. This was a must win and they did it.
I remember when they signed this guy as an underage player who would take a couple of years to develop. And boy did he.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Great work to resign Steven!! Stoked about that news. Liked the way he was devloped under you guessed it, the man who can't develop talent, Ross Lyon!! Thought we should have brought more of our young guns in the last 3 seasons through via a forward pocket position as opposed to the back pocket or back flank, but time will tell on that front.

Great news for the club! He's looking super fit and ready to have a big year i hope!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Imagine how long he'd signed for if we trained somewhere decent. :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:citywest will be heartbroken that we have kept one of our stars.

Good to read, hope Jack gets back to 2013 form.
+ 1

busso mick
Club Player

Great news before the season has started, a real tonic for everyone involved with the club. Also one less thing for all the nervous nellies to worry about.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Outstanding news, if we'd lost him to FA, our compo could have been good, but we would have been taking one step forward and two or three back. Also, a small yet most significant achievement by the club.

bigballs
Club Player

remboy wrote:Imagine how long he'd signed for if we trained somewhere decent. :D
Jack has just signed on till the end of 2020, so he's obviously not too worried about where he trains.

Just as a matter of interest........where would that training somewhere decent be?

longtimesaint
Club Player

FQF wrote:Next on the list must be Armo and Billings
I'm not sure about Armo but surely Billings signed as part of the future fest!

One year will be our year
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Great news - well done Jack!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

longtimesaint wrote:
Sure he was the last one

You are garbage - Enough said
bigballs
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
Sure he was the last one
Billings has signed until the end of 2017.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Great news !

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:There's been lots of speculation over Jack Steven in recent times.

Are we better off with him on our list, or with the draft pick that would come to us should he depart?

While that is interesting to ponder, there is a significant difference between allowing a player to leave, because the player wants to leave, and actually pushing him out the door.

The draft pick that potentially comes to the club should be seen as compensation; not as a reward.

An announcement this morning that Jack Steven has re-signed would be fantastic news.

Rebuilding is never easy. However a recent B & F winner should not be ushered out if the soul of the club is to be maintained.
Sensible post. I think the consensus on here was that if he wanted to stay - then lets do it properly and sign him up for his career. If he wants to go - well then its best to let him go and we demand pick 2.

As its turned out - he wants to stay. Thats a good result. But we were never going to lose on this one. Hes a Sainter for life and probably our most important player right now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
Sure he was the last one
Billings has signed until the end of 2017.
Id like to see us with Newnes, Steven, Savage, Webster, Billings all playing together alongside Dunstan, Weller, Ross and and Armo.
I think that would be a decent midfield.

If the Tiges really offered pick 12 for Armo - I would have taken it. Trouble is why would Armo leave and take a pay cut anywhere else.
Hed be on a fortune at the Saints.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 26 Mar 2015 8:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

First off props to Jack. Its a real show of loyalty and dedication to this club. The temptation to go somewhere else and start playing finals would have been strong. Its going to be really tough for the next few years and great to see him willing to be in the trenches. It's a reflection that there is a good vibe at the club and players know the club is going in the right direction and want to be a part of building something special.

After Rooey, Jack is the the face of the club - young, fresh faced, energetic - so I think they would have thrown a lot at him. I'm guessing they front loaded his contract to tempt him with a big lump of money early. That then frees up some of our salary cap in a couple of years if/when we go after a free agent or two. That would also explain risking a 5 year contact on a guy who has struggled with serious foot problems stopping him getting out on the ground for extended periods the last couple of seasons.

Unfortunately due to his less than stellar kicking I'm not sure Jack will every truly be elite but he'll still be a damn good player with his pace and energy and ball getting ability.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:First off props to Jack. Its a real show of loyalty and dedication to this club. The temptation to go somewhere else and start playing finals would have been strong. Its going to be really tough for the next few years and great to see him willing to be in the trenches. It's a reflection that there is a good vibe at the club and players know the club is going in the right direction and want to be a part of building something special.

After Rooey, Jack is the the face of the club - young, fresh faced, energetic - so I think they would have thrown a lot at him. I'm guessing they front loaded his contract to tempt him with a big lump of money early. That then frees up some of our salary cap in a couple of years if/when we go after a free agent or two. That would also explain risking a 5 year contact on a guy who has struggled with serious foot problems stopping him getting out on the ground for extended periods the last couple of seasons.

Unfortunately due to his less than stellar kicking I'm not sure Jack will every truly be elite but he'll still be a damn good player with his pace and energy and ball getting ability.

Greg Denham whose mail IMO is sometimes poor said it was a 700K a year contract. Surely if that's the case its front loaded but its still an unbelievable amount. And I reckon his kicking is good when he can steady before he kicks it. Its improving every year.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:First off props to Jack. Its a real show of loyalty and dedication to this club. The temptation to go somewhere else and start playing finals would have been strong. Its going to be really tough for the next few years and great to see him willing to be in the trenches. It's a reflection that there is a good vibe at the club and players know the club is going in the right direction and want to be a part of building something special.

Greg Denham whose mail IMO is sometimes poor said it was a 700K a year contract. Surely if that's the case its front loaded but its still an unbelievable amount. And I reckon his kicking is good when he can steady before he kicks it. Its improving every year.
I think the problem with Stevens kicking is he lacks the power to be penetrating. He's a little guy and he doesn't have the muscly, tree trunk legs of Montagna and Ablett. He doesn't have the leverage to really kick through it so he tends to bobble kick it with his stubby little legs.

Vazelos
Club Player

Huge news he is our best mid fielder and the only one with real genuine line breaking pace. He is super exciting to watch. A credit to him as its not easy being in that mid field at the moment.On his perspective 5 years is a big contract term and I am sure the dollars would acknowledge his importance to the team.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great interview with Jack. Top bloke. Doesnt like all the media BS. Just likes playing footy. Champ.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I agree he can kick well it's just he's usually broken away before kicking and is at full pace. His value in FA is probably around that but he's been a low paid player in the last few years so he deserves it. Hopefully mostly front loaded. The old commodore and op shop clothes might get an upgrade now.