Flog Maher bags "only 9,800 members" in attendance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Flog Maher bags "only 9,800 members" in attendance

That membership figure includes a number of 3 game members, interstate and overseas members. My wife is a 3 game member but she won't go to nearly that many games. I spent nine years out of Melbourne and probably saw nine home games in that time with my full membership.
The stat is meaningless unless shown with figures from other teams.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Look, Maher is a flog fullstop no matter what he says about saints crowds or not.
I call him "you blokes", as he used to use this phrase in nearly every damn interview he did. He is a bogan at the very highest of the order.
Now, IF he COULD just finish a damn sentence BEFORE starting the next one, maybe I could stomach him.

While Im at it, worst pairing ever on SEN bringing in Gaze to work with Maher in the mornings. He too is a complete stooge and often more unbearable than you blokes.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I think from a marketing perspective, showing the number of member barcodes scanned is a great iniative.

Maybe it will encourage more members to turn up? Really don't know as it's a first.

I hope other clubs follow and maybe then Flog will be shown up to be what he is.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I remember when we first moved to Etihad and people were worried that the deal only guaranteed seats for about 10k members. The club stated at that time that on average only about a third of members attended each match. Not sure if that's still an accurate figure now but I assume they did their research at the time and that wasn't far off the mark.
Just because we have 30k members, it doesn't mean they will all go to every game. I noticed, looking at the names on the wall at Etihad that a bloke called Brendan Goddard was a member last year. I can't imagine he attended many games though.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Why care what Andy Maher says? He's entitled to an opnion. It doesn't make it right.

I actually think he raises a valid point - where are our members? Melbourne had 10,000 more people at their game.

That said, it doesn't bother me who raised it. It's more an internal issue for fans and the club to discuss, I'd have thought.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I remember when we first moved to Etihad and people were worried that the deal only guaranteed seats for about 10k members. The club stated at that time that on average only about a third of members attended each match. Not sure if that's still an accurate figure now but I assume they did their research at the time and that wasn't far off the mark.
Just because we have 30k members, it doesn't mean they will all go to every game. I noticed, looking at the names on the wall at Etihad that a bloke called Brendan Goddard was a member last year. I can't imagine he attended many games though.
Pretty sure as a 200+ game player, BJ gets an automatic life membership of St Kilda.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:
remboy wrote:I remember when we first moved to Etihad and people were worried that the deal only guaranteed seats for about 10k members. The club stated at that time that on average only about a third of members attended each match. Not sure if that's still an accurate figure now but I assume they did their research at the time and that wasn't far off the mark.
Pretty sure as a 200+ game player, BJ gets an automatic life membership of St Kilda.
That would probably explain it. Surprised I didn't bump into him.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Why care what Andy Maher says? He's entitled to an opnion. It doesn't make it right.

I actually think he raises a valid point - where are our members? Melbourne had 10,000 more people at their game.

That said, it doesn't bother me who raised it. It's more an internal issue for fans and the club to discuss, I'd have thought.
Now that's a more sensible discussion point. Too sensible for the likes of him to think of.

The difference of a day during Easter is significant. Our slot could've accounted for a few thousand difference, but not the full 10K.

I guess Melbourne fans have a lot more reason than us to be optimistic about the season also.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Haven't we missed the point in Maher's taunting of "only 9, 800 members"or closer the estimate of 19800 crowd attendance?

Out of the 18 000 or what ever crowd that attended I'm guessing around 99.99% of the crowd were barracking for the Saints.

The GWS Supporters were minuscule in number and even less so in voice and crowd noise. Sometimes when they scored a goal at the other end of the ground, no response came from their cheer squad and supporters until the goal umpires waved the two flags. The silence was deafening .

So he can sound off at St Kilda supporters and I think he was more than misguided in his observations about St Kilda supporters.

Maybe he should have focused on the amount of money the AFL is tipping in for GWS and they are getting virtually nil in return. And by nil in return I mean the supporter is not growing and truth be known is shrinking.

The Disch
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Look, Maher is a flog fullstop no matter what he says about saints crowds or not.
I call him "you blokes", as he used to use this phrase in nearly every damn interview he did. He is a bogan at the very highest of the order.
Now, IF he COULD just finish a damn sentence BEFORE starting the next one, maybe I could stomach him.

While Im at it, worst pairing ever on SEN bringing in Gaze to work with Maher in the mornings. He too is a complete stooge and often more unbearable than you blokes.
+1
Gaze has made me leave SEN
A dumber person in the world there cannot be.