Hickey forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey forward

Jacks Back wrote:

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't address the issue I was trying to make and that is how many talls can we play in the forward line if Hickey is played as a forward as probably only 2 talls and a 3rd (more mobile) tall seems to be the order of the day. Unless we have 3 talls who can rotate off the bench but it seems the bench is only for midfielder rotations nowadays.
I do not view Membrey as a tall.

With the options that we currently have, given form and where they are in development I can see:

Bruce as FF (Has shwon to bea god kick on goal, so you want him as your tall that is most often within range)
Hickey floating around CHF, to midfield and relief ruck- say 10 minutes per quarter
Roo with a roving commission, but playing well up the ground from HF to wing....and go to target out of defenceand so will drift down to HB too.
Longer mainly ruck - say 20 minutes a quarter
With some bench rotations this year not all 4 will always be on the ground together.

The above allows Bruce to play as a dedicated key forward...and for Roo to use his very good judgement to be were he needs to be.
Longer's main strength is his tapwork and is only so so around the ground. So if you do not play Longer as the No1 Ruck, then you do not play him in the 22.
Hickey is more versatlie, and even though he can play No 1 ruck, team balance is better if e plays the "Stanley" role.

Hickey is actually quite mobile, and very good ground skills and second efforts for a big guy. His last quarter against the Dons was very very good, and for a lot of that he was well up the ground.

IF or WHEN White, Lee or McCartin demanad a senior game by good form, then it would et interesting as to whether you go with Longer or Hickey. I suspect that Hickey will get better as he builds match fitness after his interupted pre-season. White is very mobile and can play asa big flanker, and so Membrey is the one that seems to have displaced him for now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintjake
Club Player

Re: Hickey forward

Hickey forward is a good move for post Roo life.

McCartin/Bruce/Hickey as three talls
Membrey as a third
Lonie and Billings is a good forward set up.
McCartin Membrey and Bruce all create contests and bring the ball to the deck if they can't mark it.

Lonie and Billings are both super smart footballers, they get to the right spots. And the four other forwards will be licking their lips if they seem Lonie/Billings get the ball 60m+ from home.