David Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: David Armitage

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:A few years ago I would've been pissed off that Paddy wasn't an instant hit due to our crap recruiting of dud after dud.

Different now - look at Dunstan, Sinclair and Lonie. All hits from day one. So now I have patience and confidence that for some of the big boyz like Paddy and HJ it may take a few years.
Think the same. That's why I hope they persevere with Spencer White - he is a classic case, in my book, of a guy with talent that will need a few more years in the system to really find his feet.
Problem is I think the club's patience seems to be wearing thin with him. I am still waiting for him to really dominate at VFL level but I don't see a reason why you can't carry a guy like this on your list particularly when there is clear upside.

Im not saying this is happening even though it could be especially after being dropped to the thirds last week. No way a player not doing the right thing on the track should be carried for the hope of him coming good when others who do the right thing on the track get delisted.
By the sounds of what Richo said he was very unhappy with having to send him back there. The downside of having a short injury list and a set amount of spots at Sandringham mean someone has to go and the guys about to possibly be selected are obviously the ones going to stay in the seniors. When do we get our own team in the VFL?

Although when you look at someone like Simpkin who is obviously never going to get a go, the potential of Spencer in comparison is a pretty easy decision.

No it isn't that simple. Again im not talking about White but if a player is doing he wrong thing on the track and off the track and other players know that then it would be very bad example to re sign that person. White may not be doing that but there is no logical reason for him being dropped to the thirds unless there is an issue. And more to the point what are these fantastic things White has done in nearly 2 and half years of footy? And I don't buy this asthma thing. I reckon about 5 players in every club would have asthma based on things I have seen over the years.

I don't know about a set amount of spots. I would be pretty sure if White was doing everything right he would have played reserves last week instead of the thirds.

Part of Sandy's alignment agreement was for them to have a minimum amount of players in the senior team each week.

stjay
Club Player

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:A few years ago I would've been pissed off that Paddy wasn't an instant hit due to our crap recruiting of dud after dud.

Different now - look at Dunstan, Sinclair and Lonie. All hits from day one. So now I have patience and confidence that for some of the big boyz like Paddy and HJ it may take a few years.
Think the same. That's why I hope they persevere with Spencer White - he is a classic case, in my book, of a guy with talent that will need a few more years in the system to really find his feet.
Problem is I think the club's patience seems to be wearing thin with him. I am still waiting for him to really dominate at VFL level but I don't see a reason why you can't carry a guy like this on your list particularly when there is clear upside.

Im not saying this is happening even though it could be especially after being dropped to the thirds last week. No way a player not doing the right thing on the track should be carried for the hope of him coming good when others who do the right thing on the track get delisted.
By the sounds of what Richo said he was very unhappy with having to send him back there. The downside of having a short injury list and a set amount of spots at Sandringham mean someone has to go and the guys about to possibly be selected are obviously the ones going to stay in the seniors. When do we get our own team in the VFL?

Although when you look at someone like Simpkin who is obviously never going to get a go, the potential of Spencer in comparison is a pretty easy decision.

No it isn't that simple. Again im not talking about White but if a player is doing he wrong thing on the track and off the track and other players know that then it would be very bad example to re sign that person. White may not be doing that but there is no logical reason for him being dropped to the thirds unless there is an issue. And more to the point what are these fantastic things White has done in nearly 2 and half years of footy? And I don't buy this asthma thing. I reckon about 5 players in every club would have asthma based on things I have seen over the years.

I don't know about a set amount of spots. I would be pretty sure if White was doing everything right he would have played reserves last week instead of the thirds.

That was my take on it as well. I heard Richo speak about the quota at Sandy but if you're performing well despite the quota you're highly unlikely to be dropped.

stjay
Club Player

FQF wrote:Simpkin is a classic depth role player who you need on a list so that when someone like Dempster gets injured, he can come in a play the role to an adequate level. In fact, he might be the replacement for Dempster in the long term. In the last few years our backline has lost a lot of experience in Gwilt, Blake and soon Fisher and Dempster — I think Simpkin will be retained.
Interesting. My impression is that he has both Lee and Goddard ahead of him now. Could be wrong but I think he is in real trouble in terms of retaining his spot on the list.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

stjay wrote:
Interesting. My impression is that he has both Lee and Goddard ahead of him now. Could be wrong but I think he is in real trouble in terms of retaining his spot on the list.
and surely you could just top up on year to year basis with a 24-26 yr old consistent GOP player from the VFL /SAFL who wants to have a crack at the big show

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Oh and as for the point about Armitage taking time..
if I remember rightly in that year the club drafted three Qld'ers - Only one of them developed into an AFL player & we still have him.

Seeya
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Gutsy thread after a 45 possession game - going out on a limb!

You could see the maturity in ARmo last year when Lenny and Steven were out and he was getting a hard tag but just kept cracking in doing the 1%ers instead of disappearing like he had habit of doing before. This year he's added really good spread and endurance to his game to make him more well rounded and damaging. He linked up some beautiful bits of play running straight lines last week. It's helps Armo when we have other players fighting for hard ball to release him from purely in and under. He jumps out to me as the next captain.

elizabethr
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
elizabethr wrote:Descended into the usual farce

Yep we couldn't have a little joke when Armo name is mentioned. Lighten for gods sake.
U lighten up u weak 4th grade Amateur C.

nothing to say
loris
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yep we couldn't have a little joke when Armo name is mentioned. Lighten for gods sake.
Go elizabethr...you tell 'im. Hey, Lizzie does the 'r' stand for regina? If yes, I bow and curtsey to you M'lady :wink: :wink: How are the corgis M'am? :P

elizabethr
Club Player

They good Doris
But Phil is demented
Oh so sent to try us...

nothing to say
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Really. That is all you have? Armo must be so proud. And we call it D grade down here, not 4th division and we also have a 3 time AFL premiership player playing in our side.

elizabethr
Club Player

Is he an ex Brissy Lion?

nothing to say
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Is he an ex Brissy Lion?
Yes, and plugs is batting for the other side now due to his excitement.

Not that there is anything wrong with that eh Lizzie?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.