Schneider and Sinclair

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: Schneider and Sinclair

Great post and really tough call. Shame we can't rookie sippos in lieu of Sinclair

#1 Ryder fan
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Richo and the coaching staff often talk about getting games into the young guys. Sinclair is one of those emerging talents we must continue to get games into. The vision is for the future, as good as Schneider has been, Sinclair stays on the list. Schneider will get his chance again if/when another injury arises.
There is a balance too. You can't really expect a guy at 19 in his first season to keep it up for 23 games. He has had a pretty good taste but for adaptability Schneider has to stay. Sinkers is a small forward where Schneider is a mid rotation as well. Sinclair will be a senior player next year and have a good career, no rush.

Saint wagga
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Richo and the coaching staff often talk about getting games into the young guys. Sinclair is one of those emerging talents we must continue to get games into. The vision is for the future, as good as Schneider has been, Sinclair stays on the list. Schneider will get his chance again if/when another injury arises.
There is a balance too. You can't really expect a guy at 19 in his first season to keep it up for 23 games. He has had a pretty good taste but for adaptability Schneider has to stay. Sinkers is a small forward where Schneider is a mid rotation as well. Sinclair will be a senior player next year and have a good career, no rush.
I think SInclair rotates thru the middle as well. So far he doesn't show any signs of needing a rest, a bit of an overated phrase if you ask me. If the team is performging well and winning every few weeks, i' pretty sure, knowone will want a 'rest'. Winning is the best recovery tool in the business. That said, Schnieders numbers are just way ahead of sinclairs at the moment, but a lot can change in 2 weeks before the deadline...

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Can we upgrade Sinclair to Senior list now?
Or do we need to have a retirement first?

Nee!
Playon
Club Player

Well if you go by what the coach says, age is no barrier and players get selected on form, Schnieds would have to play. Sinclair has been great but Schneids has been better. It also might open a spot for others eg. Curren, Minch, etc etc etc, we have a lot of players that haven't either played this year or played very little.

Sinclair isn't going anyhere, I'm sure he'll be back sooner than later.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont think a rookie can be promoted permanently to the senior list during the season. You have to wait for draft day to do that.

loris
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont think a rookie can be promoted permanently to the senior list during the season. You have to wait for draft day to do that.
As we did with Eli...... promoted to the senior list after the season ended, when we had a few vacancies, with retirements and delistings.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Well if you go by what the coach says, age is no barrier and players get selected on form, Schnieds would have to play. Sinclair has been great but Schneids has been better. It also might open a spot for others eg. Curren, Minch, etc etc etc, we have a lot of players that haven't either played this year or played very little.

yeah thats a good point. Sinclair getting a rest gives some of those guys like Siposs, Markworth,Curren, Minch etc a chance to get a game and see what we have. It's ridiculous throwing away a player without giving them a game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Playon wrote:Well if you go by what the coach says, age is no barrier and players get selected on form, Schnieds would have to play. Sinclair has been great but Schneids has been better. It also might open a spot for others eg. Curren, Minch, etc etc etc, we have a lot of players that haven't either played this year or played very little.

yeah thats a good point. Sinclair getting a rest gives some of those guys like Siposs, Markworth,Curren, Minch etc a chance to get a game and see what we have. It's ridiculous throwing away a player without giving them a game.

No it isnt, Its ridiculous playing a guy who hasn't shown enough just to give him a game.

The_Merchant
Club Player

For me schnieds gets upgraded. At the current stage, he offers the team a lot more. Sinclair will still learn a lot playing in the vfl. There he will play on ball and not have to wear the subs vest every second week. It isn't like he doesn't play footy at all if he isn't elevated, it might actually help with his progression playing in the 2's for a while.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair needs to build on a stellar start to his career. I think throwing a guy back to the 2's when he's earnt the right to be given an opportunity may be the worst thing we could do. Let's not put the brakes on the kid and change his momentum.

The kid looks like he belongs and is not daunted by being in the centre of the action. I mean that literally because I see him win the contested footy and I saw him at centre bounces against Brisbane where he banged in and got the clearance. There are only positives to be gained by playing him.

The fans want effort and we want our team to be competitive but most of all we want to see the rebuild take shape. I think if Sinclair and DMac and Lonie and Acres and Dunstan and Billings were not performing we'd understand why Schneids keeps his spot but that's not the case. The kids are competitive.

As others have mentioned we have a half dozen experienced guys and good on field leaders and emerging leaders as well as Chips Ray and Gilbo coming back. I don't care how many mistakes Sinclair makes or how many off days he has (we know Schneids has had bad days too).

Sinclair is showing he is a smart footballer and he usually makes good decisions. He is rellishing the challenge and I believe he will step up.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Austinnn wrote:Great question, Plugger.

Tough to answer, but it has to be Adam getting promoted as mentor for the younguns. Sinclair is gonna play over 200 games for us, he can wait a year.

More important than draft picks are players learning in the heat of the battle
If Sinclair is going to be a gun and play that many games then he may hold playing in the reserves against us when it comes time for his next contract.

But I think dragit has come up with an interesting scenario that if Gilbert and Ross come back then what is the point of also playing Schneider? Too many experienced players doesn't give the new players a chance to get games into them and the new guys are the future not the old guard.
True. If for argument's sake we had:

Fisher
Riewoldt
Montagna
Dempster
Schneider
Ray
Gilbert

All fit and in form, do we play them? 7 old guys is almost a third of the team. Surely there's a limit.

That's the situation we could be in after the bye. Fisher recovers, Schneids takes the rookie upgrade spot, Ray and Gilbo fully regain form and fitness.

What do we do?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Austinnn wrote:Great question, Plugger.

Tough to answer, but it has to be Adam getting promoted as mentor for the younguns. Sinclair is gonna play over 200 games for us, he can wait a year.

More important than draft picks are players learning in the heat of the battle
If Sinclair is going to be a gun and play that many games then he may hold playing in the reserves against us when it comes time for his next contract.

But I think dragit has come up with an interesting scenario that if Gilbert and Ross come back then what is the point of also playing Schneider? Too many experienced players doesn't give the new players a chance to get games into them and the new guys are the future not the old guard.
True. If for argument's sake we had:

Fisher
Riewoldt
Montagna
Dempster
Schneider
Ray
Gilbert

All fit and in form, do we play them? 7 old guys is almost a third of the team. Surely there's a limit.

That's the situation we could be in after the bye. Fisher recovers, Schneids takes the rookie upgrade spot, Ray and Gilbo fully regain form and fitness.

What do we do?
So many questions, so many questions. :?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
lefty
Club Player

Honestly, Schneider....

Sinclair will be back bigger and better next year. Give him time, he's far exceeded expectations.

Winmar
Club Player

Schneids definitely. The young guys usually drop off, and smaller players like Lonie will learn a lot about being an intelligent footballer by being on the field with him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:
.....smaller players like Lonie will learn a lot about being an intelligent footballer by being on the field with him.
Did Squizzy Taylor need a couple of years in the NEAFL before he was given a solid run?

Or.. how 'bout at the Saints...with your logic we should have seen Saad and Millera rip it up with Milney by their side.

Is Ballantyne an intelligent footballer and that's why Walters is a star? Come on...please...