Hawthorn moving training base to dingley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stjay
Club Player

Re: Hawthorn moving training base to dingley

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
stjay wrote:
Well, we shall see. Player academies are the future IMO.
Can't see the AFL allowing any Vic team to have a Player Academy.
But most of the northern clubs have them, Port have one, the Crows have one and we have what we call a "player academy".
I am sure I read somewhere that this is the big lesson being taken from European football.
Even with the draft points system, if you had a young gun come through your academy you would have first option to pay up with draft points for him.
And let's face it, who wouldn't?
This is the future of how you get access to high-end talent without sacrificing performance.

Not a hope. And I don't think the crows or Port have one. We certainly don't. Only the Northern clubs have them because we need the game to grow in that area.
Google away my fellow Sainters.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
stjay wrote:
But most of the northern clubs have them, Port have one, the Crows have one and we have what we call a "player academy".
I am sure I read somewhere that this is the big lesson being taken from European football.
Even with the draft points system, if you had a young gun come through your academy you would have first option to pay up with draft points for him.
This is the future of how you get access to high-end talent without sacrificing performance.

Not a hope. And I don't think the crows or Port have one. We certainly don't. Only the Northern clubs have them because we need the game to grow in that area.

You do realise that's just a name for their seconds side?

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
stjay wrote:

You do realise that's just a name for their seconds side?
No, its not.
The link
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... n-afl-list
But they also have a second Indigenous academy initiative.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:They look like poos and wee-eeessss
And they smell like them to...
Agree

And the proposed site was the old tootals rd tip so there will be plenty of brown and yellow under foot .

The council are closing the landfills in that area by 2018 , stating nearby residents years of protest about dust and smell .
Perhaps its more to do the hawks 50 million dollar development .

A development happening in the so called ' green wedge ', which may not be of any benefit to the local community as i'm sure most of the facilties will be off limits to the general public . I wonder how many councillor's will be jumping up and down against that !
Time will tell .

In red white and black from 73
FQF
SS Life Member

If all goes to plan, by the time Hawthorn move in, we will be at the top of the ladder and they will be at the bottom. Which teams will the locals want to support then?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:May be a silly question but what happens to AFL Park ?
They are keeping that as well.

Rosco
Club Player

If hawthorn being within 15 kms of Moorabbin is a problem, how will Collingwood / Carlton / North Melb / Melb / Richmond cope being so close to each other?

stjay
Club Player

Rosco wrote:If hawthorn being within 15 kms of Moorabbin is a problem, how will Collingwood / Carlton / North Melb / Melb / Richmond cope being so close to each other?
My gut feel is they will all have their own issues but the best facilities will attract the best talent...I think.

farquhar
Club Player

Rosco wrote:If hawthorn being within 15 kms of Moorabbin is a problem, how will Collingwood / Carlton / North Melb / Melb / Richmond cope being so close to each other?
They squashed poor old University and Fitzroy. These things happen in threes, so who is next? Take your pick. :D

Time for goal-kicking practice
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A little ironic if you think about it when you consider all the players they scored off us down the Peninsula in the 70s and 80s when it should have been designated as the Saint's zone. Then we move down there 5 years ago only to move out again when they announce the Dingley move and to potentially crowd us about, again.

Staying in Seaford might end up being better for us in the long term or a 30 year time frame. It would mean having to go through a fair but of pain over the next ten years but in the long run, it might be worth it. Not that I or anyone can prove this theory.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stjay
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:A little ironic if you think about it when you consider all the players they scored off us down the Peninsula in the 70s and 80s when it should have been designated as the Saint's zone. Then we move down there 5 years ago only to move out again when they announce the Dingley move and to potentially crowd us about, again.

Staying in Seaford might end up being better for us in the long term or a 30 year time frame. It would mean having to go through a fair but of pain over the next ten years but in the long run, it might be worth it. Not that I or anyone can prove this theory.
Funny you should mention that, was thinking something similar.
If the future of footy unfolds that way - and I am simply positing where I think the current thinking is at (happy to be wrong) in clubland - then thinking strategically, maintaining a Seaford presence (housing an academy in part) might be a way of denying them access the local Pennisula talent.

Like I said, I am just reading the tea leaves here but I don't think the AFL has said "no academies for Vic clubs" and with the precedent already set by interstate clubs quite rightly Vic clubs could argue "How can we compete?".

lefty
Club Player

28 hectares is friggen huge.

What the hell is Morrabbin, 5?

Hope we're future proofing, as a lot of teams are going to have at least two ovals to mimic Ettihad and the MCG, and I'd hate for us to fall behind, and then try relocate again and again...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We currently have one of each at Seaford. Something we WILL NOT have at Moorabbin.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-clu ... ng-centre/

Spurs training... well, training suburb is probably the best in the world.

Good on them for going for something so big.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Playon
Club Player

Poached Hawthorn email:

Email to members:-

As a valued member, you would be aware that for the past three years the club has been in the process of conducting a feasibility study on the future of Waverley Park.

This has been a very thorough and comprehensive project, and the Board has received regular updates on its progress over that period.

Since relocating to Waverley Park in 2006, this site has served the club extremely well. In that time, we have grown in all areas of our business.

At the end of 2014, we sent a small delegation overseas to tour some of the world’s best training and administration facilities, which has put us in a better position to make the right decision for the club and our members.

The three year feasibility study concluded that Waverley Park now has a number of limitations, which will restrict any future expansion, growth and development. As a result it was in the best interests of the club to explore the option of an alternate site.

Our key vision, to be the destination club, is one of the main objectives within our strategic plan and this means providing world-class training and administration facilities to attract the best players, coaches and staff.

Most other AFL clubs have developed new state-of-the-art facilities and we have rapidly fallen down the ladder in this respect.

Furthermore, we desire a facility that will allow our increasing number of members to feel part of the club and to create a destination that is accessible to all. Our present facility is not conducive to this requirement, which we regard as fundamental to aligning with our values as the family club.

Over the past few years, the club has identified and explored a short list of 15-20 potential sites throughout Melbourne’s south eastern corridor, and a 28 hectare site in Dingley has been of significant interest due to its location, size and capability.

Following further analysis of the land, a working party has recommended the Dingley site could meet the future needs of the club, its members, players, coaches and staff.

As such, I am pleased to inform you the club has put a conditional offer to purchase the identified parcel of land, and we have 18 months to conduct further due diligence on the site.

This decision has been made following an extensive process that has included consultation with the Board, leadership group, coaching and management staff; an overseas study tour and the investigation of potential alternative sites throughout Melbourne’s south eastern corridor.

If, after the 18 month investigation, the Dingley site does not suit the club’s requirements we are not obligated to purchase the property.

Should it eventuate, the site will allow for the development of a world-class training and administrative facility which will provide greater prospects for member interaction, community engagement and future expansion.

It is important to note that this project is in the exploration phase and any potential development would be a 5-10 year undertaking.

CEO Stuart Fox and I, along with the Board and management, are focused on establishing the best option to future proof Hawthorn Football Club for our most important stakeholders – you, our members and supporters.

This is a significant decision for the future of our club and its members, and rest assured it has been made after exhaustive research and due diligence.

We are determined to place the club at the forefront of elite sporting and community facilities, and to ensure any future home of the Hawks is a place where our valued members and supporters feel welcomed and engaged.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:We currently have one of each at Seaford. Something we WILL NOT have at Moorabbin.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-clu ... ng-centre/

Spurs training... well, training suburb is probably the best in the world.

Good on them for going for something so big.
You're right about only having one oval at Moorabbin as there is no room for another. Is that a good thing or bad? It appears to be bad as all the new facilities seem to have at least the two ovals.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stjay
Club Player

Playon wrote:Poached Hawthorn email:

Email to members:-

As a valued member, you would be aware that for the past three years the club has been in the process of conducting a feasibility study on the future of Waverley Park.

This has been a very thorough and comprehensive project, and the Board has received regular updates on its progress over that period.

Since relocating to Waverley Park in 2006, this site has served the club extremely well. In that time, we have grown in all areas of our business.

At the end of 2014, we sent a small delegation overseas to tour some of the world’s best training and administration facilities, which has put us in a better position to make the right decision for the club and our members.

The three year feasibility study concluded that Waverley Park now has a number of limitations, which will restrict any future expansion, growth and development. As a result it was in the best interests of the club to explore the option of an alternate site.

Our key vision, to be the destination club, is one of the main objectives within our strategic plan and this means providing world-class training and administration facilities to attract the best players, coaches and staff.

Most other AFL clubs have developed new state-of-the-art facilities and we have rapidly fallen down the ladder in this respect.

Furthermore, we desire a facility that will allow our increasing number of members to feel part of the club and to create a destination that is accessible to all. Our present facility is not conducive to this requirement, which we regard as fundamental to aligning with our values as the family club.

Over the past few years, the club has identified and explored a short list of 15-20 potential sites throughout Melbourne’s south eastern corridor, and a 28 hectare site in Dingley has been of significant interest due to its location, size and capability.

Following further analysis of the land, a working party has recommended the Dingley site could meet the future needs of the club, its members, players, coaches and staff.

As such, I am pleased to inform you the club has put a conditional offer to purchase the identified parcel of land, and we have 18 months to conduct further due diligence on the site.

This decision has been made following an extensive process that has included consultation with the Board, leadership group, coaching and management staff; an overseas study tour and the investigation of potential alternative sites throughout Melbourne’s south eastern corridor.

If, after the 18 month investigation, the Dingley site does not suit the club’s requirements we are not obligated to purchase the property.

Should it eventuate, the site will allow for the development of a world-class training and administrative facility which will provide greater prospects for member interaction, c
ommunity engagement and future expansion.

It is important to note that this project is in the exploration phase and any potential development would be a 5-10 year undertaking.

CEO Stuart Fox and I, along with the Board and management, are focused on establishing the best option to future proof Hawthorn Football Club for our most important stakeholders – you, our members and supporters.

This is a significant decision for the future of our club and its members, and rest assured it has been made after exhaustive research and due diligence.

We are determined to place the club at the forefront of elite sporting and community facilities, and to ensure any future home of the Hawks is a place where our valued members and supporters feel welcomed and engaged.

Nice pick up.
Now we just need someone from Anonymous to hack them for their strategy doc's. :D That's a joke! I don't condone skullduggery unless I directly benefit. :wink:

Playon
Club Player

Their plan is to become rubbish in the future.

They'll also save a fortune on tip fees

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Their plan is to become rubbish in the future.

They'll also save a fortune on tip fees
"We're a smelly team at Hawthorn....."

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Hi all,
This is the time where you need to think like I did, for Mark Thompson and his dodgy property deal at Armstrong Creek, Geelong.

This WILL Impact your club, as Hawthorn must have a relationship with the City of Kingston to have this section of land in Dingley. Hawthorn will now be lobbying the City of Kingston for as much funds as possible.

The Dingley locals like think of their Village as a closed off part of Melbourne (I’ve dealt with them in a previous job).

You need to ask yourself the following:

- What Land Zoning does this land current have (check DPCD or Kingston Plannign Scheme)
- Will this land be re-zoned in the near future
- Does any Hawthorn FC officials have a relationship/link to Councillors/Senior Managers at the City of Kingston?
- Does any Hawthorn FC officials have a relationship/link to Councillors/Senior Managers at the EPA? (I know one Hawthorn FC Board Member has investments in Wind Farms)
- Was this land sold exclusively to Hawthorn, or was it sold by Tender?
- Were Hawthorn FC members informed via previous AGMs/Board Meeting Minutes that the club was looking to invest in a new home?
- The original 1999 Mirvac/State Govt/AFL deal for Waverley Park, are there any clauses there that impact on this deal?
- Are there any Council Meeting Minutes/Official Correspondence available under FOI from the City of Kingston that mention anything about Hawthorn FC legally acquiring this land?

They’re the questions I’d be asking.

Thanks.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:Hi all,
This is the time where you need to think like I did, for Mark Thompson and his dodgy property deal at Armstrong Creek, Geelong.

This WILL Impact your club, as Hawthorn must have a relationship with the City of Kingston to have this section of land in Dingley. Hawthorn will now be lobbying the City of Kingston for as much funds as possible.

The Dingley locals like think of their Village as a closed off part of Melbourne (I’ve dealt with them in a previous job).

- What Land Zoning does this land current have (check DPCD or Kingston Plannign Scheme)
- Does any Hawthorn FC officials have a relationship/link to Councillors/Senior Managers at the City of Kingston?
- Does any Hawthorn FC officials have a relationship/link to Councillors/Senior Managers at the EPA? (I know one Hawthorn FC Board Member has investments in Wind Farms)
- Were Hawthorn FC members informed via previous AGMs/Board Meeting Minutes that the club was looking to invest in a new home?
- The original 1999 Mirvac/State Govt/AFL deal for Waverley Park, are there any clauses there that impact on this deal?
- Are there any Council Meeting Minutes/Official Correspondence available under FOI from the City of Kingston that mention anything about Hawthorn FC legally acquiring this land?

Thanks.

Rushie our money has already been approved so who cares what the Hawks get. Who cares about the land zone. Seriously. Who cares if they have relationships with any Kingston people. Who cares how the land was sold. Why do we care if the Hawks members were told anything. Why do we care about the Waverley deal. And who cares about council minutes. Conspiracies are your go. Your questions are a waste of time. Maybe you get onto this Rushie and change the hawks mind like you have arranged WADA appealing the Essendon case.

The move by the Hawks has no effect on us and we also have no right to worry about what they are doing. Its their business and nothing to do with us.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It is mostly green wedge.

Be more worried about the methane though.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Thanks.

Rushie our money has already been approved so who cares what the Hawks get. Who cares about the land zone. Seriously. Who cares if they have relationships with any Kingston people. Who cares how the land was sold. Why do we care if the Hawks members were told anything. Why do we care about the Waverley deal. And who cares about council minutes. Conspiracies are your go. Your questions are a waste of time. Maybe you get onto this Rushie and change the hawks mind like you have arranged WADA appealing the Essendon case.

The move by the Hawks has no effect on us and we also have no right to worry about what they are doing. Its their business and nothing to do with us.

Well, I care. I don't want this monstrous home base for the Hawks in our backyard.
It is not about conspiracy theory, this is about long term strategic planning by another club to gain a beachhead in our heartland.
I am not trying to be hysterical about this - this is how competitive business is done. And people need to wake up to the existential threat this poses into the long term.
If you can't see what is happening at a league level and how strategically this facility has been positioned then you're blind.
Try to put petty rivalries aside because this is actually an issue where we all need to come together.

It is easier to be apathetic or ignore it and hope it goes away but it won't, it will only get worse from here. We actually have to try to do something.
At the very least voice your concerns to the club.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

stjay wrote:If you can't see what is happening at a league level and how strategically this facility has been positioned then you're blind.
Try to put petty rivalries aside because this is actually an issue where we all need to come together.
I like the boy. Good logical thinker.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks.

Well, I care. I don't want this monstrous home base for the Hawks in our backyard.
It is not about conspiracy theory, this is about long term strategic planning by another club to gain a beachhead in our heartland.
I am not trying to be hysterical about this - this is how competitive business is done. And people need to wake up to the existential threat this poses into the long term.
If you can't see what is happening at a league level and how strategically this facility has been positioned then you're blind.

It is easier to be apathetic or ignore it and hope it goes away but it won't, it will only get worse from here. We actually have to try to do something.

Firstly it is none of the saints business. We left the Kingston council and now you want to whinge to them for letting another AFL side in. Why would they care about what we think. And they are Km from us anyway. About 8 I reckon. And I cant see what is happening at league level so if you could explain it that would be great. I cant see how it even slightly effects us. Its hysterical crap IMO. And nothing to do with rivalries. If we all got together we still cant stop it because its none of our business. I don't even think the club would really care. The hawks were obviously buying this land before we announced we were coming back so there is no conspiracy that they are trying to get into our turf. Id love to hear how you think it effects us long term. Sounds way over the top. I certainly have no interest in stopping them moving to Dingley. None at all. I will leave it for those who think they can somehow stop it. For what reason I have no idea.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks.

Firstly it is none of the saints business. We left the Kingston council and now you want to whinge to them for letting another AFL side in. Why would they care about what we think. And they are Km from us anyway. About 8 I reckon. And I cant see what is happening at league level so if you could explain it that would be great. I cant see how it even slightly effects us. Its hysterical crap IMO. And nothing to do with rivalries. If we all got together we still cant stop it because its none of our business. I don't even think the club would really care. The hawks were obviously buying this land before we announced we were coming back so there is no conspiracy that they are trying to get into our turf. Id love to hear how you think it effects us long term. Sounds way over the top. I certainly have no interest in stopping them moving to Dingley. None at all. I will leave it for those who think they can somehow stop it. For what reason I have no idea.

That's fine. You don't want don't think its anything and its all hyperbolic crap then great - don't worry about it.
I am not going to get into a p*ssing contest with you and activate egos, it is a waste of time.

For those that do want to know what is being talked about at the league level then read the following link:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... hh30v.html

After reading that article then think again about the Hawks planned new home base in context.
They are planning for the next 100 years not the next 10-15.