There's mistakes but then it gets to being cheating.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Re: There's mistakes but then it gets to being cheating.

sainters4eva wrote:There have been 3 or 4 games this year when the umps have given a series of free kicks close to goal,to the opposition,within a ten minute period and at a critical time in the game.This prompts the question as to whether our defensive skills are very bad under pressure or the umps are trying to give the other team an advantage.
I agree with what you have said re the 3 or 4 games - not sure about what questions that prompts though

What I saw yesterday was that from a point about when we were within a goal and the game was 'on' the umps went on a free kick spree of about 10-0 and the game slipped out of our reach. Our young team was always going to loose to this outfit yesterday but it must be demoralising for these young blokes going hard at it against more mature players and being hurt by the umpiring

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
sainters4eva wrote:There have been 3 or 4 games this year when the umps have given a series of free kicks close to goal,to the opposition,within a ten minute period and at a critical time in the game.This prompts the question as to whether our defensive skills are very bad under pressure or the umps are trying to give the other team an advantage.
I agree with what you have said re the 3 or 4 games - not sure about what questions that prompts though

What I saw yesterday was that from a point about when we were within a goal and the game was 'on' the umps went on a free kick spree of about 10-0 and the game slipped out of our reach. Our young team was always going to loose to this outfit yesterday but it must be demoralising for these young blokes going hard at it against more mature players and being hurt by the umpiring
Correct on all counts. We were with them in every aspect of the game then the umpires gave four or five really poor frees there way. Most in the forward half to.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I'm typically not an umpire basher but this is all getting a bit ridiculous now. I'm ok with mistakes. I'm not ok with inconsistency.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:When we're a better team, we'll get a better run from the umps.
Is that because they're corrupt or just incompetent?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

lennyhaze wrote:
gringo wrote:
linz wrote:I agree, some of the frees given were petty and perplexing.
I hope it doesn't mean we need to do more acting lessons to win a game of football.
Duck your head and diving at the opportune time could mean the difference between winning and losing.
Bit sad really if that's the way the game is heading.
Shenton bent to pick up the ball and a Hawks player dropped his knees into the front of his head and couldn't win a free but the Hawks dropped the knees and won frees after the AFL said they were getting rid of the rule. The kicking in danger must have ben taken out of the rules as they twice did very dangerous kicks out of the hands of our players including Jack Steven. It ruins the enjoyment for fans and adds nothing to the game. The umpiring is getting worse. I actually think I hate the whole AFL now. They are incompetent idiots with no focus or ability to run their competition. Is there a way an alternative ticket could get up and sack them all?

Weird person. Hate the afl? Got to laugh and there is this guy called curly who thinks the geary deliberate wasn't. Of course it was one of the most deliberates I have seen. Umpiring struggled today though

You are a very abrasive type aren't you. You should go well on here. I can hate who ever I want. As an organisation they have lost their way. The drugs scandal the tanking an inability to address any kind of deficiencies are all making me hate them. I went to the game with friends who are not members so had to line up for about 45 minutes in the cold to get the free kids tickets because the free ones would not load on line. It happened in the bulldogs game too. I will not bring anyone next time. There was some potential members for the future who had a horrible experience. The food is just as expensive but smaller, the game was ruined by the umpires who snuffed any interest. It's got some real issues.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
lennyhaze wrote:
gringo wrote:
I hope it doesn't mean we need to do more acting lessons to win a game of football.
Duck your head and diving at the opportune time could mean the difference between winning and losing.
Shenton bent to pick up the ball and a Hawks player dropped his knees into the front of his head and couldn't win a free but the Hawks dropped the knees and won frees after the AFL said they were getting rid of the rule. The kicking in danger must have ben taken out of the rules as they twice did very dangerous kicks out of the hands of our players including Jack Steven. It ruins the enjoyment for fans and adds nothing to the game. The umpiring is getting worse. I actually think I hate the whole AFL now. They are incompetent idiots with no focus or ability to run their competition. Is there a way an alternative ticket could get up and sack them all?

Weird person. Hate the afl? Got to laugh and there is this guy called curly who thinks the geary deliberate wasn't. Of course it was one of the most deliberates I have seen. Umpiring struggled today though

You are a very abrasive type aren't you. You should go well on here. I can hate who ever I want. As an organisation they have lost their way. The drugs scandal the tanking an inability to address any kind of deficiencies are all making me hate them. I went to the game with friends who are not members so had to line up for about 45 minutes in the cold to get the free kids tickets because the free ones would not load on line. It happened in the bulldogs game too. I will not bring anyone next time. There was some potential members for the future who had a horrible experience. The food is just as expensive but smaller, the game was ruined by the umpires who snuffed any interest. It's got some real issues.

And I can say its weird. And thanks for telling us about the Etihad issues which are nothing to do with the AFL. I find there are supporters who, when a side is struggling, find others things to whinge about to try and hide the struggle of the side they support. Those same people wouldn't give a stuff if are winning. By the way if you are struggling for free kids tickets next time I will pay for them. They are about $2 each. Now stop with this hate stuff. It really no good for your health. Smile and you will feel better. I went yesterday and had a great day baring the result. Beers only cost $7 a stubbie and pies were $3 and the same size. Meet some nice people and got out of the day only spending $140. All good IMO.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I wonder if its because we are low on the ladder, that we get the lesser skilled umpires? I don't usually worry too much about the umpires, as there are usually swings & roundabouts, but the Hawks got several goals from dubious frees yesterday. Poor umpiring has become top of mind now with a lot of Saints supporters.

My question is - "what is the Club doing about it?' They won't be writing to supporters, but it would be nice to hear something about questions being put to the AFL.

Freebird
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:When we're a better team, we'll get a better run from the umps.
Why, it should not matter what end the infringement happened just because of your position on the ladder..unless the umps are not adjudicating fairly.....Umps all over the world cheat why would it be different in the AFL.

Umps not having to answer for their disparity of 50 / 50 decisions Is inadvertently tolerating corruption!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I wonder if its because we are low on the ladder, that we get the lesser skilled umpires? I don't usually worry too much about the umpires, as there are usually swings & roundabouts, but the Hawks got several goals from dubious frees yesterday. Poor umpiring has become top of mind now with a lot of Saints supporters.

My question is - "what is the Club doing about it?' They won't be writing to supporters, but it would be nice to hear something about questions being put to the AFL.

Im sure they speak to the AFL constantly if they think it is an issue. They probably get umpires to training occasionally.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Is there any videos on the net that highlight free kicks? I know the AFL video used to have little tags for goals and behinds, is there such a thing for frees (that does not require AFL pass etc)

It would be interesting to review the timing and location of the frees.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Freebird
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:Is there any videos on the net that highlight free kicks? I know the AFL video used to have little tags for goals and behinds, is there such a thing for frees (that does not require AFL pass etc)

It would be interesting to review the timing and location of the frees.
What, and have the umps answerable for their decisions. Can't have that you will have no umpires.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If this were soccer, you would know the umpires are on the take. But for Aussie Rules, maybe it is because the umpies dont like clubs near te bottom. It is not only the Saints that cop crap umpiring, it is on whenever a low placed team plays a top team.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
lennyhaze wrote:
gringo wrote:

And I can say its weird. And thanks for telling us about the Etihad issues which are nothing to do with the AFL. I find there are supporters who, when a side is struggling, find others things to whinge about to try and hide the struggle of the side they support. Those same people wouldn't give a stuff if are winning. By the way if you are struggling for free kids tickets next time I will pay for them. They are about $2 each. Now stop with this hate stuff. It really no good for your health. Smile and you will feel better. I went yesterday and had a great day baring the result. Beers only cost $7 a stubbie and pies were $3 and the same size. Meet some nice people and got out of the day only spending $140. All good IMO.

So you are running two names now Plugger. One of you is enough, but I guess they can only ban one of you then.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

So you are running two names now Plugger. One of you is enough, but I guess they can only ban one of you then.

I am not lennyhaze. It is a bit weird I did say weird though. I can assure you I aren't that person.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I just thought. Do umpires ever get dropped because of games where they have favoured one of the teams? Not to my knowledge. Maybe the whole umpiring coaches thing should be dropped. It is a joke the standard that it is currently at.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

After last night's game the differential in frees for as against frees against is minus 147.

Look out Brissy, we are fast closing in on you for last place.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The umpiring was terrible again yesterday. It affected the margin but not the result.
And it's not the free kicks they pay but the ones they don't pay. Three free kicks in a half where, statistically, we were dominant - except on the scoreboard - is not good enough and totally unbalanced. We were first to the ball and yet had more tackles - usually those two stats will have a positive influence on the free kicks.

For the record, Geary's deliberate was the correct call - even though it was a harsh call...and shows the ridiculous interpretation of "deliberate". If he'd rushed a behind in that manner then it would be fine but, somehow, the boundary line is different?

The missed free kicks to us are costing us a chance to win the games. The club not only needs to address this but needs to be seen to be addressing this issue. It can't be allowed continue unopposed.
Enough is enough!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well done plugs. You "only" spent $140. And that's just you. Imagine taking a few kids also that don't eat $3 pies bit want a $6.50 hotdog, $6 chips, $5.50 drinks etc.

Imagine going every second week rather than a couple of times a year (we play interstate a lot) and the cost can be horrendous.

Glad you say it's not the AFL's fault. They don't run the ground but have a huge interest in it as the major tenant.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Well done plugs. You "only" spent $140. And that's just you. Imagine taking a few kids also that don't eat $3 pies bit want a $6.50 hotdog, $6 chips, $5.50 drinks etc.

Imagine going every second week rather than a couple of times a year (we play interstate a lot) and the cost can be horrendous.

Glad you say it's not the AFL's fault. They don't run the ground but have a huge interest in it as the major tenant.

I got chips at $6.50 for large for 4 kids and they were the size of a matchbox. Then drinks and the rest. Its not good cheap entertainment. I pay a family membership already. The AFL allow us the dogs and the SA teams to be bullied into the terms of the stadium operators.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scott Gullan from the Herald Sun described the free against Dempster as horrible.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:What really pissed me off was that at quarter time we had had enough of the play to be in front and must have been ahead in every key metric except one.
But instead we already found ourselves a few goals down due to inept? Umpiring decisions - the "soft frees in front of goal" metric.
Metric? Not imperial?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Extraordinary how there are no threads like this when we win and don't get smashed by 11 goals by a clearly superior side.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Extraordinary how there are no threads like this when we win and don't get smashed by 11 goals by a clearly superior side.
There is and was a thread after Brisbane.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Extraordinary how there are no threads like this when we win and don't get smashed by 11 goals by a clearly superior side.
I disagree with you.
I don't think anybody is saying the 'poor umpiring' cost us the game.
BUT I too was there yesterday and from my vantage point (lvl 2, section 38) the umpiring was terribly inconsistent and there can only be 1 answer as to why.
Incompetence from at least one of the 3 umpires in charge - #1 seemed terrible. I don't believe the umpires are cheats.
BUT I do believe they are 'guessing' far more then they should be.
AND they are positioning themselves terribly if they are legitimately 'missing' all the free kicks that they appear to be (to me and others)

I agree with the Umpire's Advocate on saintsational (plugger66) that the umpires make some mistakes but in the main pay what they see.
Where he and I (and most probably you?) differ in our opinions is that I expect (even demand) consistency.
If Geary's 'deliberate' was the correct call then why wasn't it paid again when other players technically infringed that rule?
There was a free kick paid aginst us for the 'chopping of arms' and yet it was blatantly obvious to everyone watching at the ground (except the 3 spectacle sponsored martians) that Roughead (and others)were continually pushing, holding, shepherding, tunnelling their opposition? Josh Smith (Bruce) has been getting 'mugged' for weeks but gets basically no protection from the umpires. Why isn't he entitled to the same 'technical breaches' that Roughead et al are?

I don't begrudge Hawthorn's free kicks (except any mistaken ones).
I just want all free kicks to be paid.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I disagree with you.
I don't think anybody is saying the 'poor umpiring' cost us the game.
BUT I too was there yesterday and from my vantage point (lvl 2, section 38) the umpiring was terribly inconsistent and there can only be 1 answer as to why.
Incompetence from at least one of the 3 umpires in charge - #1 seemed terrible. I don't believe the umpires are cheats.
BUT I do believe they are 'guessing' far more then they should be.
AND they are positioning themselves terribly if they are legitimately 'missing' all the free kicks that they appear to be (to me and others)

I agree with the Umpire's Advocate on saintsational (plugger66) that the umpires make some mistakes but in the main pay what they see.
Where he and I (and most probably you?) differ in our opinions is that I expect (even demand) consistency.
If Geary's 'deliberate' was the correct call then why wasn't it paid again when other players technically infringed that rule?
There was a free kick paid aginst us for the 'chopping of arms' and yet it was blatantly obvious to everyone watching at the ground (except the 3 spectacle sponsored martians) that Roughead (and others)were continually pushing, holding, shepherding, tunnelling their opposition? Josh Smith (Bruce) has been getting 'mugged' for weeks but gets basically no protection from the umpires. Why isn't he entitled to the same 'technical breaches' that Roughead et al are?

I don't begrudge Hawthorn's free kicks (except any mistaken ones).
I just want all free kicks to be paid.
There was a hawks clearing kick that went straight out of bounds for no free kick. It was no different but in the minds of the umps. They pay mystery frees in the ruck but Ceglar was pulling Longers arms down so he couldn't get a hand to the ball but that was legal. Bruce was obviously infringed upon on several occasions. It was so one sided it was embarrassing.