Team v Power. Hickey, Membrey, McKenzie for Roo, Lonie, Gilbo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Power. Hickey, Membrey, McKenzie for Roo, Lonie,

I will just throw up the last two premiers as proof it can work.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
#gosaintas
Club Player

Of course it can work if one of them can play fwd. If Hickey or Holmes can play fwd then it will work in tandem with Longer. If not then it won't. It's not that hard Plugger.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:We might be testing a Longer/Hickey ruck combo to come into affect next year when the sub rule is dumped. Hickey rucking a bit longer than just pinch hitting ala a Bruce type of cameo.
I hope you're right on all counts.

If the sub rule goes I think he will be a pretty handy duo. I actually thought Hickey looked pretty good in the forward line at times this season, for a bloke of his size I think he does a really good job of holding the ball in the forward 50. He just isn't quite up to AFL level if he needs to stay up there for 80-90% of the game. If he could squeeze a bit more time in the ruck I think he could establish himself.

Still haven't heard how getting rid of the sub means you will play 2 ruckmen. Why would you? Longer can do 80% of the game. Why play another just for 20%. Funny how the Hawks were the choice of sides to say 2 ruckmen work. Well under pressure last night it worked terribly. I really think the days of 2 ruckmen are very cluse to over unless one of them is a genuine forward. On that has does 4 tealls work tomorrow? The ball is going to come out of our backline that quickly if we don't mark it especially against the run of Port.

Hawkes made it work pretty well in back to back Grand Finals.
Yep they could have probably played 5 ruckmen. If you can explain how the set up works with 2 ruckmen I would be very interested.
Well we somehow have to have a proper look at Hickey in the ruck. Maybe we rest Longer for a bit longer during the next few matches with Hickey then going into the ruck. We then rotate Hickey, Bruce, Membrey and McCartain through the bench when Longer is rucking thereby giving us three talls (assuming Membrey is a tall in this which he probably isn't) at all times and not 4 in the forward line.

I think it would be worth it to see if it is a viable alternative when the sub rule has gone. And let's be clear here, I want us to win but I am also a realist and realize that they are more likely to win than us (hence the betting odds).

Repeating, we really need to have a good look at Hickey in the ruck for extended periods to make a decision and the only other way of doing this (besides Longer getting dropped or injured) is the above scenario.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Of course it can work if one of them can play fwd. If Hickey or Holmes can play fwd then it will work in tandem with Longer. If not then it won't. It's not that hard Plugger.

really Who could have guessed. I don't think any of the 3 can play well forward for any length of time and that's why I asked the question. IMO the days of 2 ruckmen are just about over.