Now that we have pick 5.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now that we have pick 5.....

Con Gorozidis wrote:Very interesting is that Knightmare has Hopper, Mills, Keays in his top 5. All academy players. He rated Keays as better than PArish if we are looking for a fast line breaking and versatile mid.

If we nominate Keays with our pick 5 it would force the Lions into an awkward situation if they have already used their pick 2 on Schache. They will only just have enough points remaining to take him.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/k ... t-40703313

Brisbane - Ben Keays (QLD – BRISBANE ACADEMY – MID/FWD)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 82.3kg, DOB: 23/02/1997
Recruited from: Brisbane Lions
Range: 1st round – 2nd round
Profile: Strong marking, goalkicking midfielder.

Knightmare has him 4th on his overall rankings.

So my theory is that if we nominate him it at 5 - it forces Brisbane to use their pick 20 on him and knocks out their pick 20. This moves us up one spot in the 20s.
I've been following knightmare for years now and appreciate his work however his opinion is not the be all and end all. The guys that write for Bound for Glory (mainly sports journo students that watch most TAC footy games) say knightmare rarely attends junior games and provides misleading info all over Bigfooty.

From my personal observations of knightmare I find he's partial towards academy players to the extreme. It's like he's Eddie Maguire's mouthpiece. He totally overrated them.

Mills is certainly a gun and prolly the best mid in the draft. Hopper is a bull but has his limitations. He's very inside. Keays has made his reputation dominating division 2 national champs, has good runs on the board but his competition must not be dismissed. He's definitely a first round prospect though.

Last year it was said that Parish would've gone pick 1 as an underager and ahead of Petracca, Brayshaw, Paddy etc. you would like him. He's a tough country lad that busted his finger early in the year and played out the game. He ended missing a month after that injury.

Another thing I will say about knightmare is he always undervalues outside mids and ones that don't have a lot of size. He didn't rate Josh Kelly one bit in his draft year.

I'm not trying to rag on knightmare (even know I prolly have) I'm just saying also look at guys like Brett Anderson and Cal Twomey for reference. They are the best in the business imo.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Important to note that KNightmare has GWS pulling in three top 10 picks. Now I dont think that can be done using the points system.

If it is - well its just a f*cking joke and we have no chance beating them in the next decade.
If that happens along with Sydney's picks I'm borderline throwing in the towel on this corrupt league.

Carlton and Brisbane could be getting first band compo, pushing us out even further. All this talk of equilisation and here we are getting screwed. We still need 2 very good drafts to be any chance of a premiership, but as long as AFL can snag the Sydney market who gives a f*** right.

I reckon we just saw the end of any chance off a premiership in the next 10 years. West Coast must have been deliberately aided to make top 2, that umpiring was as deliberately one sided as WWF. They get a home final that Julie Bishop was already crowing about the financial figures of. At the end of the day the competition is not even close to equal. It's like some teams in the race are on motor bikes and we have our hands tied behind our back and a box on our head.

We are like some one on the dole getting handed a few cheques to shut us up while the AFL hand out ridiculously advantageous gifts to some teams. Free agency has been disastrous for the lower teams. Carlton are almost criminally neglectful in the eyes of their supporters if they keep Kruizer.

The incredible unfathomably generous draft concessions received by GWS and GCS are going to mean they will rein over the comp for a long time. They also want to prop up teams like WCE, Freo, Adelaide etc because they will stop soccer taking their markets. A few of the big Melbourne clubs need to be successful to keep local pockets emptying but we won't go anywhere anytime soon.

The competition is so weighted against us that unless we have some insane luck in drafting talent like the Dogs we will just be a middler for years. I will follow the boys and enjoy the characters and improvement but see nothing as far as success coming. We might scrape into a few finals eventually but won't win anything in a system that isn't equal. We will lose all our kids to the big boys and over pay for a few scraps to come back our way- there are always a few drunks or addicts we can nab.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Very interesting is that Knightmare has Hopper, Mills, Keays in his top 5. All academy players. He rated Keays as better than PArish if we are looking for a fast line breaking and versatile mid.

If we nominate Keays with our pick 5 it would force the Lions into an awkward situation if they have already used their pick 2 on Schache. They will only just have enough points remaining to take him.

Brisbane - Ben Keays (QLD – BRISBANE ACADEMY – MID/FWD)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 82.3kg, DOB: 23/02/1997
Recruited from: Brisbane Lions
Range: 1st round – 2nd round
Profile: Strong marking, goalkicking midfielder.

Knightmare has him 4th on his overall rankings.

So my theory is that if we nominate him it at 5 - it forces Brisbane to use their pick 20 on him and knocks out their pick 20. This moves us up one spot in the 20s.
I've been following knightmare for years now and appreciate his work however his opinion is not the be all and end all. The guys that write for Bound for Glory (mainly sports journo students that watch most TAC footy games) say knightmare rarely attends junior games and provides misleading info all over Bigfooty.

From my personal observations of knightmare I find he's partial towards academy players to the extreme. It's like he's Eddie Maguire's mouthpiece. He totally overrated them.

Mills is certainly a gun and prolly the best mid in the draft. Hopper is a bull but has his limitations. He's very inside. Keays has made his reputation dominating division 2 national champs, has good runs on the board but his competition must not be dismissed. He's definitely a first round prospect though.

Last year it was said that Parish would've gone pick 1 as an underager and ahead of Petracca, Brayshaw, Paddy etc. you would like him. He's a tough country lad that busted his finger early in the year and played out the game. He ended missing a month after that injury.

Another thing I will say about knightmare is he always undervalues outside mids and ones that don't have a lot of size. He didn't rate Josh Kelly one bit in his draft year.

I'm not trying to rag on knightmare (even know I prolly have) I'm just saying also look at guys like Brett Anderson and Cal Twomey for reference. They are the best in the business imo.

There are some fair points there about Knightmare but he is pretty good over all. Definitely doesn't rate guys who don't win their own ball as highly. Kelly isn't exactly a definite yet even though he's looking good. Maybe he had a point on him. On the academy kids- he was right on Heeney. He looks a jet and possibly the best of his year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Take it with a grain of salt - but Knightmare reckons Parish is not all that good and not all that quick. He rates Mills and Hopper as a class above.
Make of that what you will.
He also reckons Curnow is ok - but not that flash. He reckons Tucker and Mathieson are nothing special either. He does rate Francis highly though.

I don't get the Curnow obsession either. He has almost been turned into Jake Stringer and Nat Fyfe's love child so far. He could be a Bontempelli but maybe not. I don't want to be too speculative with that pick. Francis was a bit of a Hugh Goddard- he peeked early and then everyone seemed to lose interest the closer it gets. He's like an undersized marking defender. Probably similar to Dempster. I love Dempster but wouldn't give up a top 6 pick for him. His best looks like Brendon Goddard though so can see why he is loved by KN.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: I reckon we just saw the end of any chance off a premiership in the next 10 years. West Coast must have been deliberately aided to make top 2, that umpiring was as deliberately one sided as WWF. They get a home final that Julie Bishop was already crowing about the financial figures of. At the end of the day the competition is not even close to equal. It's like some teams in the race are on motor bikes and we have our hands tied behind our back and a box on our head.

We are like some one on the dole getting handed a few cheques to shut us up while the AFL hand out ridiculously advantageous gifts to some teams. Free agency has been disastrous for the lower teams. Carlton are almost criminally neglectful in the eyes of their supporters if they keep Kruizer.

The incredible unfathomably generous draft concessions received by GWS and GCS are going to mean they will rein over the comp for a long time. They also want to prop up teams like WCE, Freo, Adelaide etc because they will stop soccer taking their markets. A few of the big Melbourne clubs need to be successful to keep local pockets emptying but we won't go anywhere anytime soon.

The competition is so weighted against us that unless we have some insane luck in drafting talent like the Dogs we will just be a middler for years. I will follow the boys and enjoy the characters and improvement but see nothing as far as success coming. We might scrape into a few finals eventually but won't win anything in a system that isn't equal. We will lose all our kids to the big boys and over pay for a few scraps to come back our way- there are always a few drunks or addicts we can nab.
Cheer up matey.