Luke Delaney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Delaney

Combination of a new club, a coach believing in him again probably produced last year.

Clearly struggles with self belief as the minute dropped...

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Give the guy the opportunity to improve. He may just surprise one or two folk next year.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Joffrey
Location: Iron Throne - or wherever in the Seven Kingdoms that I can find a decent WiFi hotspot.

thejiggingsaint wrote:Give the guy the opportunity to improve. He may just surprise one or two folk next year.
We've missed him the last few weeks.

The Sam's and Dempster are, A/ not big enough and B/ more damaging elsewhere.............. than to be played on the opposition gorillas.

Sure, Luke mightn't give us much run out of defence. But he doesn't need to. If he negates a gorilla, then the Sams and Dempster are freed up to do that job for us.

Currently, we are losing some (much?) of their run, and they are struggling against bloke who are too physically big to be ideal match ups. I see that ironically as a lose/lose situation for us.

Misunderstood.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Joffrey wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Give the guy the opportunity to improve. He may just surprise one or two folk next year.

The Sam's and Dempster are, A/ not big enough and B/ more damaging elsewhere.............. than to be played on the opposition gorillas.

Sure, Luke mightn't give us much run out of defence. But he doesn't need to. If he negates a gorilla, then the Sams and Dempster are freed up to do that job for us.

Currently, we are losing some (much?) of their run, and they are struggling against bloke who are too physically big to be ideal match ups. I see that ironically as a lose/lose situation for us.
But we were playing Goddard to get experience. We can't have all of Delaney, Goddard, Fisher and Dempster playing down back at the same time. It looks like Delaney was sacrificed for Goddard to gain experience unfortunately this has led to what you said Joffrey about a lose/lose as Fisher and Dempster has had to do the main defending.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Joffrey wrote:

But we were playing Goddard to get experience. We can't have all of Delaney, Goddard, Fisher and Dempster playing down back at the same time. It looks like Delaney was sacrificed for Goddard to gain experience unfortunately this has led to what you said Joffrey about a lose/lose as Fisher and Dempster has had to do the main defending.

Agreed, but Fisher and Dempster are not long term propositions

And Luke can still come in to do a job...
Whilst Sam and Sean are ahead, I guess the coaches will work Luke's offensive game... Or At the very least, his ability to take contested marks

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Joffrey wrote:

Agreed, but Fisher and Dempster are not long term propositions

And Luke can still come in to do a job...
Whilst Sam and Sean are ahead, I guess the coaches will work Luke's offensive game... Or At the very least, his ability to take contested marks
Delaney is pretty good one on one and his defensive game is ok.

His problem is that he is too slow and has no offensive game. From what I have seen he can't run the ball out of the backline and looks to hand pass backwards.

I can't see him improving this aspect of his game at his age.

The way the game has gone I can't see him playing a major role if we are to shoot up the ladder. He's a backup.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think he is OK as a serviceable defender, and is a strong player, so I think there's a place for him in the seniors, but as the club insists on playing old players until they drop, then he will just have to be patient.