Looking back at 09 and 10 off-seasons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hayes66
Club Player

Re: Looking back at 09 and 10 off-seasons

It's my opinion
And I'm entitled to it[/quote]

Firstly. Yes it's your opinion and you are entitled to it and so is everyone else entitled to an opinion.

My opinion is Jamie Cripps is not as soft as you say.
Now I'll give you a fact. He played in aside that was in a Grand Final.
Statistically he was very high up in defensive pressure acts.
Opinion, he had a poor Grand Final but I think he had a good year.
Opinion, I believe he is a better player than Robert Eddy.
Fact, he will play more games than Robert Eddy.

Now the other players you mentioned.
Fact, Patterson, Polo are recycles.
Who do you think would of picked those?
The recruiter or coach?
My opinion is they were coach driven.
Secondly you mentioned Johnson.
What pick was he?
Top ten?
Top thirty. Maybe
No, top fifty maybe?
Please enlighten us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:It's my opinion
And I'm entitled to it
Firstly. Yes it's your opinion and you are entitled to it and so is everyone else entitled to an opinion.

My opinion is Jamie Cripps is not as soft as you say.
Now I'll give you a fact. He played in aside that was in a Grand Final.
Statistically he was very high up in defensive pressure acts.
Opinion, he had a poor Grand Final but I think he had a good year.
Opinion, I believe he is a better player than Robert Eddy.
Fact, he will play more games than Robert Eddy.

Now the other players you mentioned.
Fact, Patterson, Polo are recycles.
Who do you think would of picked those?
The recruiter or coach?
My opinion is they were coach driven.
Secondly you mentioned Johnson.
What pick was he?
Top ten?
Top thirty. Maybe
No, top fifty maybe?
Please enlighten us.[/quote]

I still remember Willy J having a sliding doors moment, he ran off his man and kicked long and missed a goal. Should have passed it to a forward or nailed it. I don't think Ross could handle that much exuberance from a back man. Never got another go. He had some good traits big Will, he was worth the late pick.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:Mark Hutchings???
Exception or just not good enough?
Barlow??

Coaches can only improve the cattle they have.

Many on this site have a way over-inflated view of the cattle that Lyon had to work with. Ignore the top 7 and you have a pretty ordinary list.

We had diabolical recruiting fora long time including the time Lyon was at the club. That he overcame that is to his credit.

If you do not have the the best list you have to be creative in how you use your players and get the most out of them including your "GOPS". That is what Lyon does well.

He got a good but not great list at Freo, and IMO Freo have gone well under Lyon relative to te talent of their list.

Saints went better after Lyon arrived. Feo went better after Lyon arrived and in neither case was it due to the recruiting staff.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There was a poster who people tried to run out of town, when he dared to critisise the drafting (and development) in that period... At the time.

Now it's allowed

There have always been posters who have argued the toss on drafting selections.

Just some has weird theories of pic being important.

On Howard, EVERYONE was surpised at the time. The footy world view back then was that the Doggies may rookie him, and so JB using pick 27 on him took everyone by surprise.

But that unfirtunately was JB,a "gut-feel" recruiter over-rated by most.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ripplug66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
BigMart wrote:There was a poster who people tried to run out of town, when he dared to critisise the drafting (and development) in that period... At the time.

Now it's allowed

On Howard, EVERYONE was surpised at the time. The footy world view back then was that the Doggies may rookie him, and so JB using pick 27 on him took everyone by surprise.

In defence of Bevo he was working on the smell of an oily rag. I think considering the money spent on recruiting by our cub he did better than can be expected. And I think that is proven when Peake got here. More money spent but even worse results.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Now it's allowed

In defence of Bevo he was working on the smell of an oily rag. I think considering the money spent on recruiting by our cub he did better than can be expected. And I think that is proven when Peake got here. More money spent but even worse results.
So plugs just because Bevo was underfunded meant he had to go against the grain?

Surely if you didn't have the funds and had half a brain you'd monitor what the experts are saying (eg Emma Quayle as an example) and feed a fair bit off other people's work if you can't get that first-hand exposure??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ripplug66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Now it's allowed

So plugs just because Bevo was underfunded meant he had to go against the grain?

Surely if you didn't have the funds and had half a brain you'd monitor what the experts are saying (eg Emma Quayle as an example) and feed a fair bit off other people's work if you can't get that first-hand exposure??

Surely you are taking the piss? No one could seriously post that otherwise. Where did people have Fisher, Steven, Joey, Dal, Goose? And who do you choose to follow? Quayle? Does she just get order right or their ability? What about all the others? Its got to be a piss take.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: I think in a club like Hawthorn or Geelong the coaching staff is so big you know where you are sitting in the plans. I think when Ross was with us there were not enough staff to really spend time talking through the progression for their career. I heard Geelong have one coach for every 4 players or something including VFL. Under Ross we had 3 assistants and a VFL coach I think. I guess it's about selling the vision to the player and seeing it through. I have spoken to a few fringe guys and spoken to a relative of a player and there is a suggestion that we still aren't great if you aren't playing regular seniors.
Good point about the coaches. Coaches and support staff are obviously outside the salary cap so no evening out there. Hawthorn have someone who teach their players how to run with the correct technique. If they get can even 0.2% advantage all it takes is five of those things and they are 1% up on most of the clubs in the comp. It all adds up.

All clubs are going to have discontented players, usually the ones struggling to break into the firsts so it wouldn't surprise me if Saunders, Curren, Minchington grumble about seeing young guys waltz straight into the firsts under Richo and feel they are being neglected. The reality may be for some of the fringe guys that the boat has sailed a bit for them. They weren't in a good development environment during their key development years and Richo is going to naturally more biased to guys they he had a hand in drafting. Maybe there is an element of investing time in players they think have the best chance of being quality AFL and not investing so heavily in the fringe. But the Minch showed if you get some serious game on then its not too late and you won't just be ignored.

its not going to get any eaiser from Curren, Saunders, Minch, Wright, Murdoch as quality keeps coming in so they need to be a desperate as all hell and try to get an edge to their game. The ones who don't make it at AFL are the ones who tend not to have weapons

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Now it's allowed

hey, why even bother paying recruiters - we should just go with the media picks. great idea!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Now it's allowed

hey, why even bother paying recruiters - we should just go with the media picks. great idea!
Well it would save us some cash!

Picks 1-20 are the easy ones. It's the gems found with later picks that clubs love and should be what good recruiters are judged on.

[quote="saintsRrising"][quote="hayes66"]Mark Hutchings???
Exception or just not good enough?

[/qu

We had diabolical recruiting fora long time including the time Lyon was at the club. That he overcame that is to his credit.

Absolutely spot on!! You have really done your research. Name one player drafted between 07- 010 that would get a game with a top 8 side.

Just one!!!

Shocking diabolical as you say!!!

And to think during that time we had top picks!! An absolute disgrace. I am glad that peanut recruiter is back at Geelong.

hayes66
Club Player

Picks 1-20 are the easy ones. It's the gems found with later picks that clubs love and should be what good recruiters are judged on.

Another good point. Between 07- 010 and this what really gets up my nose we had two picks in the top twenty. And we wasted them on McEvoy and Lynch!!!!
What have they done???
And with our later picks what did we get??
Bugger all I will tell you!!