More delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: More delistings

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CURLY wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
CURLY wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Saad had to go
Our Saad and Milera trade from GWS a few years ago seems like a big win for them.
Wasn't it only for a downgrade by a couple of picks?
Yeah got Seb Ross with the pick.
I'm sure this was one of Pelchen's masterstrokes. Trade pick 20 for Milera and Saad.

Saad Milera and 25.
Crozier went at 20 and we got Ross at 25.

So so far these guys look pretty even. So Pelchen didnt really lose anything on this trade.
Really?

Well that was a s*** draft!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ace
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
CURLY wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Our Saad and Milera trade from GWS a few years ago seems like a big win for them.
I'm sure this was one of Pelchen's masterstrokes. Trade pick 20 for Milera and Saad.
He actually traded pick 20 for pick 25 and got Saad and Milera as well.
We used pick 25 of Sebastion Ross
Also don't forget that draft already had 10 under age kids not availble because GWS had taken them the previous season.
Pick 20 would be worth pick 30 in a normal draft and pick 25 worth pick 35.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CURLY wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
CURLY wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

Saad Milera and 25.
Crozier went at 20 and we got Ross at 25.

So so far these guys look pretty even. So Pelchen didnt really lose anything on this trade.
Even so Con, those that don't like the Pelican will paint a bleak picture.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Another way to look at the trade is as been pointed out it was really worth 10 picks later and that it gave us 3 chances of getting a player to make it, and the one that has is Ross.

Once you get into the twenties+ there is no certainty that any player will get toa goodly number of games.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

or another way to look at is through the points system. The difference between pick 20 and 25 = 156 points = ~pick 59.

So we got Milera AND Saad for pick 59.

Was worth a shot. We really gave up nothing for those two. Was always a long shot. Can understand Pelchen's thinking.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Seems to me that it was still a good trade regardless of the outcome. Both Saad and Milera looked like decent players at one point or another. Ross looks like he'll make it.

It didn't work out but still

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If Farren Ray never plays at StK again... Thanks for a good career at the saints.

A more than solid performer (like Schnieder) and great bloke. During a very successful period he was important player, and in a tough period he was a strong contributor.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:If Farren Ray never plays at StK again... Thanks for a good career at the saints.

A more than solid performer (like Schnieder) and great bloke. During a very successful period he was important player, and in a tough period he was a strong contributor.

This is a fair assessment of the value of Farren Ray. Biggest knock on him when he was traded from the Bulldogs was his disposal under pressure. This never really got better, however his contribution to the Saints over 7 years has been very strong and he is a deserved 200 AFL game career player.

You are garbage - Enough said
loris
Saintsational Legend

Gee feel for the Simpkin brothers, not only has Tom been delisted from the Saints, I notice Jonathon has been chopped from the Hawthorn list now.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
BigMart wrote:If Farren Ray never plays at StK again... Thanks for a good career at the saints.

This is a fair assessment of the value of Farren Ray. Biggest knock on him when he was traded from the Bulldogs was his disposal under pressure. This never really got better, however his contribution to the Saints over 7 years has been very strong and he is a deserved 200 AFL game career player.
+1

A no bulls*** player that just went about his job quietly and for the most part effective. Can't ask for more than that.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Farren and Saad are both fantastic guys who will be missed for their off field contribution. Ray is one of the gentlemen of AFL and will be missed. We need some guys to step up and make the club their own. We need a few characters in the place. We seem to have shy and uptight in the youth department. maybe Jake Carlisle needs to get them on the gear to bing them all out of their shells.

joeyjohnw
Club Player

From the looks of it this means we will have 1 more spot on the list for a smokey/delisted free agent, and possibly a rookie spot as well. It looks as though if there is a player we like that is available in the rookie draft we will pick him up, if not, we take Ray. The senior spot I believe should be for a delisted free agent: Jonathan Simpkin or Zac O'Brien. Both are midfielders with plenty of class and potential. Simpkin being a player on the wrong side of the Hawks' 22, but only marginally, and O'Brien a very talented player getting 30+ disposals in the NEAFL most weeks but had the run-in with Leppitsch and needs a change of scenery. Either of those would add some great midfield depth.

ripplug66
Club Player

joeyjohnw wrote:From the looks of it this means we will have 1 more spot on the list for a smokey/delisted free agent, and possibly a rookie spot as well. It looks as though if there is a player we like that is available in the rookie draft we will pick him up, if not, we take Ray. The senior spot I believe should be for a delisted free agent: Jonathan Simpkin or Zac O'Brien. Both are midfielders with plenty of class and potential. Simpkin being a player on the wrong side of the Hawks' 22, but only marginally, and O'Brien a very talented player getting 30+ disposals in the NEAFL most weeks but had the run-in with Leppitsch and needs a change of scenery. Either of those would add some great midfield depth.

Surely there is no benefit in getting Simpkin. He is about 27 years old. Not our age range. They obviously have someone in mind though but I hope it is someone no older than 24 years of age.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

ripplug66 wrote:
joeyjohnw wrote:From the looks of it this means we will have 1 more spot on the list for a smokey/delisted free agent, and possibly a rookie spot as well. It looks as though if there is a player we like that is available in the rookie draft we will pick him up, if not, we take Ray. The senior spot I believe should be for a delisted free agent: Jonathan Simpkin or Zac O'Brien. Both are midfielders with plenty of class and potential. Simpkin being a player on the wrong side of the Hawks' 22, but only marginally, and O'Brien a very talented player getting 30+ disposals in the NEAFL most weeks but had the run-in with Leppitsch and needs a change of scenery. Either of those would add some great midfield depth.

Surely there is no benefit in getting Simpkin. He is about 27 years old. Not our age range. They obviously have someone in mind though but I hope it is someone no older than 24 years of age.
He's 28 would be a stupid move to get him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

He's 28 would be a stupid move to get him.
Right age for North Melbourne though

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It would be a JOKE if we go for Simpkin. We wasted two Rookie spots on Schneider and Saad last year. Rookie Spots should be used mainly for players who have at least some hope of making it. Much rather see Ballard on our list than Simpkin.

lefty
Club Player

We wouldn't go for J.Simpkin as he doesn't fit our age bracket.
He could however be a good fit for someone aiming to finish top four, like North, Freo, WC etc.

Sad about T.Simpkin, full respect for that guy, was one tough nut. Alan just never seemed to play him which was disappointing. I really liked the way he went about it, especially in 2012 IIRC.

On Ray, I don't mind if he stays one more year on the list, hes still a good player, I think he turns 30 next year so he's not 'done' so to speak. Such a strong overhead mark for his size in the back line.

I'm probably more concerned with Holmes, Minchington, Shenton, Pierce, Delaney, and to a further extent Geary's disposals are pretty ordinary but cant question commitment.

ripplug66
Club Player

lefty wrote:We wouldn't go for J.Simpkin as he doesn't fit our age bracket.
He could however be a good fit for someone aiming to finish top four, like North, Freo, WC etc.

Sad about T.Simpkin, full respect for that guy, was one tough nut. Alan just never seemed to play him which was disappointing. I really liked the way he went about it, especially in 2012 IIRC.

On Ray, I don't mind if he stays one more year on the list, hes still a good player, I think he turns 30 next year so he's not 'done' so to speak. Such a strong overhead mark for his size in the back line.

I'm probably more concerned with Holmes, Minchington, Shenton, Pierce, Delaney, and to a further extent Geary's disposals are pretty ordinary but cant question commitment.

I don't get your point. Shouldn't go for Simpkin but rookie an older player.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 8d60b40856
FARREN Ray wants to play on at a third club and says the steep cut in interchange rotations will suit his powerful running game.

Ray, 29, was delisted by the rebuilding Saints on Friday with the club leaving the door ajar to place him on next year’s rookie list.

But the popular clubman would prefer to sign elsewhere as a delisted free agent, keeping him on a senior list.

Delisted free agency opened on Saturday and runs until November 9.

Ray - who is not bitter and understands St Kilda’s direction - has played 205 games in 12 seasons with his durability and consistency widely recognised.

He has played a key mentor role for young Saints Blake Acres and Daniel McKenzie and formed a close bond with No.1 draft pick Paddy McCartin this year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ray would be handy on the Rookie list. A bit of experience to come in if we get a few injuries. It could give one of the kids a chop out later in the year when they get burnt out - we all saw how our performances dipped in the last six games of this year - don't want to see all of those floggings again next year thanks very much.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ripplug66
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Ray would be handy on the Rookie list. A bit of experience to come in if we get a few injuries. It could give one of the kids a chop out later in the year when they get burnt out - we all saw how our performances dipped in the last six games of this year - don't want to see all of those floggings again next year thanks very much.

But wont the players have another 10 to 20 games under their belt. And later in the year this year is when Schneider wasn't played. I'm sure that would happen with Ray. They aren't going to want to play him later in the year because they will be working on the side for the following year. The rookie list should be for fluke draft picks. Try 4 and one might work.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Schnieder worked.

Developing a club, squad of players is about more than just game day... And more than just the AFL 22.

Ray would be a handy back up player, but more so a good role model and mentor for younger players

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Schnieder worked.

Developing a club, squad of players is about more than just game day... And more than just the AFL 22.

Ray would be a handy back up player, but more so a good role model and mentor for younger players

Thanks for telling us Schneider worked. I'm sure most knew that. And if Ray was all those things then they should have kept him. And I don't think we need those things anyway. Its not like we have no experience and every year we have more as the players get older. Waste of a spot IMO. Hope the club feel the same.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

How many role models do we need?
We have Dempster, Roo, Montagna, Geary, Armitage.

If the kids cant figure it out for themselves they are never going to figure it out.

We need more young talent.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I reckon we have a ready made role model in Jake Carlisle for the kids anyway

You are garbage - Enough said