Blake Acres $51 rising star

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blake Acres $51 rising star

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Blake has still got some improving to do before i'd consider him part of a best 22 that was pushing for the 8.

The fact he was dropped shows he has to convince others as well.
I highly doubt that is the mindset of the selection panel. I am pretty sure they arent thinking well he hasnt impressed or 'convinced' wayne42. We better drop him.
They wont even be thinking whether he is 'best 22'. They will be merely thinking of his development as an individual. Blake is going to be a slow burn. Think David Mundy. A big midfielder who did stuff all until he was 22-23. They coaches will be just developing him along at his own pace.
An AFL .com article quoted the following comments from Richardson Con,

(Acres') last couple of games have shown some improvement. He's had a couple of really strong quarters in each of those games," Richardson said.

"We as a team need to move on from just being OK. We need to be better than OK.

"Are we OK with three quarters? No we're not. Are we OK with inconsistent performance from an individual? No we're not.

"We think he's on the right track. He's going to be a very good player for us for a long time."

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Blake has still got some improving to do before i'd consider him part of a best 22 that was pushing for the 8.

The fact he was dropped shows he has to convince others as well.
I highly doubt that is the mindset of the selection panel. I am pretty sure they arent thinking well he hasnt impressed or 'convinced' wayne42. We better drop him.
They wont even be thinking whether he is 'best 22'. They will be merely thinking of his development as an individual. Blake is going to be a slow burn. Think David Mundy. A big midfielder who did stuff all until he was 22-23. They coaches will be just developing him along at his own pace.
An AFL .com article quoted the following comments from Richardson Con,

(Acres') last couple of games have shown some improvement. He's had a couple of really strong quarters in each of those games," Richardson said.

"We as a team need to move on from just being OK. We need to be better than OK.

"Are we OK with three quarters? No we're not. Are we OK with inconsistent performance from an individual? No we're not.

"We think he's on the right track. He's going to be a very good player for us for a long time."
Wow ok. To me it sounds like they are setting a really high standard for Blake. I guess they say "Hey if you can play that well in the 3rd qtr, why aren't you doing that for the other 3?" He can have a slightly laconic style which those good ball readers sometimes have but they obviously want him to drive himself to get to a four quarter performance. See this is great to know what the logic of the selection committee is. But we only find out because a reporters asks the question. They should explain why players are dropped in the selection report vid.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Ofcourse all players have attached to the back of their jumpers, those GPS (???) thingys that measures their output over the game. So they can't hide from the effort they are making over 4 quarters.
And I'm sure coaching staff had their eyes trained throughout the game on aspects of Acres game he was to pay attention to.

Whilst I thought it was one of Acres better games. I noticed last year, he seems to pick up the pace of the game when a lot of the initial pace has lessened. I noticed that again on Saturday.

When he pushes into the forward 50 and an opposing defender rebounds with the ball, he doesn't place great pressure on the ball carrier, he is more prone to zone & fill a hole. Possibly that is the instructions he has to follow.

There was one instance in the final quarter, when a PA player was clearing down the wing into PA forward half. Acres was chasing him. He had no chance of getting the PA player, but he did noticeably ease up on his chase. So no pressure at all was placed on the PA player, that could have forced an error. At the time I thought if that was Newnes, Greary, Steven, Dunstan or Lonie - even if they had no chance of catching the player, they would not have eased up on their chase, they would be pressuring the player until he had disposed of the ball.

I don't think defensive pressure is a natural part of Acres game, pity because he has some , IMO, Dal Santo like skills, that I think are quite sublime at times, especially getting through traffic in the centre.

He is one of my favourites so I hope he can work on what the coaches want him to do, so he can eventually string a number of games together in the firsts, as I think the team needs a player of his size and skills to step up this year.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Similar comments tonight from Richo on SEN. basically, great third quarter, but no consistency and if guys are playing with greater consistency at Sandy they will take the spot. But did say he would be an extremely important player for us.

I think he's right. He's such a deceptively big guy; he'll get there.

Always loyal
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Similar comments tonight from Richo on SEN. basically, great third quarter, but no consistency and if guys are playing with greater consistency at Sandy they will take the spot. But did say he would be an extremely important player for us.

I think he's right. He's such a deceptively big guy; he'll get there.
But other, more experienced players don't do much or first game players don't do much but don't get dropped??? Not sure why their picking on 8cres. :?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I reckon he has been told
what he needs to do umpty times and they are clearly not giving him an inch. Does seem harsh, because game time on the big stage surely beats out a stint in the twos. Fingers crossed he returns from purgatory soon.

Always loyal
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

17 possies at 1/2 time for Sandy. Wonder if Richo's watching.

SS Life Member

Sounds like he is taking on board the lessons from Richo. I have really high hopes for him. I think he'll be a great player for us long term. Really good size & will do well once he adjusts to the pace of the game.