Our recent coaches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our recent coaches

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Grant Thomas had virtually no budget at his disposal to recruit the best support staff (medical and training).
Lyon had all those things. The footy club put itself on the back foot financially to get behind Lyon and win us a flag.

GT built the team that Lyon couldn't get across the line.

Both coaches have their flaws but if the Footy First admin had been in place when GT was coach then who would have known what he could have done.

If we're rating coaches then I'd go back one more from Alves and rate Sheldon an 8. He took the club from party town to professional bringing the mindset that we needed to become a club that doesn't tolerate anything but commitment to the job. He took us to our first final in 18 years and made us a competitive outfit able to beat any team on any day at any venue. Winmar's dispute over money in '93 started the derailment of Sheldon's tenure...we didn't make the finals that year and Kenny lost his job.
Thomas had a better team. To put Thomas ahead of Lyon is laughable
I don't think that I put GT ahead of Lyon...I merely put it out there that it would have been interesting to see what Thomas could have done with Lyon's budget on the footy department.

Clearly, Lyon was a better tactician than Thomas.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Isn't funny to look back on the coaches from the past. Their departure from the club either left us in tears or with absolute relief to see the back of them.

It's going to be fascinating to see the direction Richo can take us in the long term, of course, providing he is going to be a long term coach. He's in his third season and the fruits of his labour are only beginning to bud. I really hope he's in for the long haul. I'm sure most of us would agree that we've grown tired of the coaches coming and going through the club's revolving door.

Looking back at all the coaches from the 21st century, I would rate Grant Thomas as our best. He really did the hard yards with our club and obviously bled red, white and black the whole time.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Both coaches have their flaws but if the Footy First admin had been in place when GT was coach then who would have known what he could have done.
It would have been a disaster as the Westaway Footy First Admin made the club go backwards at an alarming rate. Westaway was by far the worst thing at the Saints this millenium. It is only since GW has departed that the Board has gotten its act together including the appointment of Matt Finnis as CEO.

The previous admin before they were turfed out had already begun expanding the football, medical and recruiting departments. They did well in increasing revenue and righting the football ship. Sadly fell apart somewhat due to GT/RB fall-out.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 14 Apr 2016 4:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I remember a game at Jihad vs. Adelaide I think in the mid
noughties when we were flying.

GT was coach and our game plan revolved around straight down the guts get it forward to the Train/Kosi/Hamill/Milney etc as quickly as possible and score heavily.

The Crows instigated a massive whole-team defensive flood, and our whole game plan was snookered and we lost easily.

Tactically, on game day especially, GT at times was really found out.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote: Both coaches have their flaws but if the Footy First admin had been in place when GT was coach then who would have known what he could have done.
It would have been a disaster as the Westaway Footy First Admin made the club goes backwards at an alarming rate. Westaway was by far the worst thing at the Saints this millenium. It is only since GW has departed that the Board has gotten its act together including the appointment of Matt Finnis as CEO.

The previous admin before they were turfed out had already begun expanding the football, medical and recruiting departments. They did well in increasing revenue and righting the football ship. Sadly fell apart somewhat due to GT/RB fall-out.
Agreed about Westaway but the fact remains that Lyon had far more money and resources at his disposal than Thomas. It would have been an interesting experiment to run to see what would have happened.

Legendary
Club Player

Imagine if Ross Lyon had accepted GT's job offer to become his senior assistant at the end of 2005...

Wonder how things would have worked out then??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Here's my penny's worth.

2/10 Watson..... At least he had a go. Wasn't his fault that he wasn't up to the job.

0/10 Blight...... Should have been charged with fraud and larceny as a servant. Gaol would have been too good for him.

7/10 Thomas... Father figure who should have been allowed to finish what he started. The boys would have died in the trenches for him

5/10 Lyon... .... Cost us two premierships, Ball and our then immediate future.

2/10 Watters... Got drunk drinking his own bathwater. A terrible choice and a real disappointment.

6/10 Richo... Let's wait and see. So far so good. Former filth player although, I wont hold that against him. For now. :D

To the top
SS Life Member

Interesting.

One of the kid's produced the 2005 AFL Guide last night - which we dissected.

Ackland - Taken with 2nd Round Draft Pick to cover a ruck weakness
Baker
Ball - Injury savaged his career from the expectations off his first 2 seasons
Blake
Brooks - Serious knee injury
Clarke R - Had played one game until then
Clarke X - Roadblock in 2004 after 2 brilliant seasons prior
Dal Santo
Ferguson - Made most of a spate of injuries
Fiora _ Traded by Richmond for Heath Black
Fisher - Injury
Fisher - Thrown to the wolves on the back of the Club's injury crisis
Gehrig
Goddard - suffered a mid year slump
Gram - persistent hamstring problems
Guerra - lack of form and suspension in the second half of 2004
Gwilt - 63 from Noble Park
Hamill - knee injury in Round 22 ruled him out of the finals
Harvey
Hayes
Hudgden - Missed first 5 matches. Missed 4 with a broken thumb late in the season
Jones
Koschitzke - remains injury prone
Maguire - a bout of osteitis pubis Missed 8 games
McGough - 3rd Round selection in 2004
McQualter - First Round pick in 2004
Milne - kicked only a further 5 majors (from Round 16)
Montagna - hamstring injury ruined finals campaign
Murray
Peckett - appearing in just 9 games in H&A
Penny - - missed 4 with a hamstring injury from Round 15
Pfitzner
Powell - surprise omission from Qualifying Final
Riewoldt
Schwarze
Stone - promoted to Senior List for 2005
Thompson
Voss - breaking his jaw in Round 7

O'Donnell
Mullins

I am of the view that 2004 was the year - as was 2005 but again injuries impacted.

The enduring question was did Thomas push a young side just too far in 2004 and could the List have been better managed to protect the introduction of these young players - and the Drafting of McQualter (1st Round), Ackland (2nd Round) and McGuogh (3rd Round) with the first 3 picks (then Gwilt) plus the up-grade of Stone plus the trading for Fiora from Richmond?

Those Draft, Trade and upgrade decisions probably accounted for our soft under belly which ultimately cost us Flags in 2009 and 2010.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Here's my penny's worth.

2/10 Watson..... At least he had a go. Wasn't his fault that he wasn't up to the job.

0/10 Blight...... Should have been charged with fraud and larceny as a servant. Gaol would have been too good for him.

7/10 Thomas... Father figure who should have been allowed to finish what he started. The boys would have died in the trenches for him

5/10 Lyon... .... Cost us two premierships, Ball and our then immediate future.

2/10 Watters... Got drunk drinking his own bathwater. A terrible choice and a real disappointment.

6/10 Richo... Let's wait and see. So far so good. Former filth player although, I wont hold that against him. For now. :D
Particularly harsh on Lyon...
His tenure could easily be broken down by year...
2007 - 4/10: should never have redrafted Gehrig and had a great team but failed to make the finals.
2008 - 6/10: we were lucky to finish top 4...It's only because Essendon failed to show up in the last round that we found ourselves in the top 4. We did have a great win against the Hawks in the H&A though.
2009 - 9.5/10: 19 wins in a row...All but won the flag. Lost three games by a combined total of less than 20 points.
2010 - 9/10: Harder year. Had one more shot at the flag and drew the Grand Final and we finished 3rd despite not having Roo available for most of the season with his hamstring injury. The Lovett trade had not worked and it was obvious that there was a lack of talented youth coming through.
2011 - 5/10: Terrible start to the year...1 win and a draw from the first 7 games. Recovered to finish 6th but lost to Sydney. Hadn't played enough kids and the evidence of neglectful drafting was evident for all to see. His final act to ditch the club for Freo was a surprise but his expectation to lock away a long term deal when we were 1 from 7 games was the height of arrogance.

If we judge him solely on his tenure of how he left the club from when he arrived then he is a poor 4/10...But if we look at how close we got to two flags then he is an 8/10. I tend to look at the latter.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Coaches at AFL level are measured by success, and a premiership is the objective. Apart from Jeans, no other coach has got us a premiership, and all the bull about toe pokes and balls bouncing the wrong way is fantasy.
Some coaches and administrations gave us hope along the way- remember Mike Patterson in the '70s...we almost got a finals gig then and the team was playing great footy. The Doc got us playing great footy, as did Kenny Sheldon who got us into the finals.
Thomas and Butters got the club in a position where we almost got into a GF, Lyon had a system which relied on team discipline but had no other tricks up his sleeve, and still hasn't. Watters coached with a knife in his back, and was never able to coach in his own right- 'nuff said. Richo seems to be a scientific style of style of coach, but needs to string wins together in year three or he too will be put under the microscope.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Imagine if Ross Lyon had accepted GT's job offer to become his senior assistant at the end of 2005...

Wonder how things would have worked out then??
He wouldn't have listened.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

9/10
For coaches who don't deliver success??
We were favourites in 09 and had a charmed run with injuries.
Alves lost the plot at StK I heard. Couldn't control them in 98.

Thomas was value for what he achieved. A turn around in culture and empowered the young players with that responsibility

Lyon was a strong match day tactician... Who coached a team.... Not a list.
However his inability to evolve the team with new tactics and youth left us in dire straits

Watters may well have been an ok coach.... But lost the older 'Lyon' players ... And had a power battle with Pelchen, the CEO and his assistant... Perhaps an inferiority complexion?

AR
Great with kids... Players play for him as a team, he has sold the 'journey' well
Match day coaching is still to be determined

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: The enduring question was did Thomas push a young side just too far in 2004 and could the List have been better managed to protect the introduction of these young players - and the Drafting of McQualter (1st Round), Ackland (2nd Round) and McGuogh (3rd Round) with the first 3 picks (then Gwilt) plus the up-grade of Stone plus the trading for Fiora from Richmond?

Those Draft, Trade and upgrade decisions probably accounted for our soft under belly which ultimately cost us Flags in 2009 and 2010.
A little known fact of that era though was that it was an especially weak draft that year and that in the comparison of what we got, to what was on offer, we actually likely came out on top...
Mark LeCras went in the 30s and Ivan Maric at 40, but that's really about it... and the latter would not have helped our ruck situation... and the former, well we had Milne and Guerra

degruch
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I am of the view that 2004 was the year - as was 2005 but again injuries impacted.
Completely agree...we were so close in 2004 it almost made me cry. We lost possibly the best Prelim of all time, it had absolutely everything, 100 goals, pitch invasion, stunning comeback, fast free-flowing footy, we were one soccer off the ground away from time on, coming home like a steam train. We didn't make the GF, but whoever did had a battle weary Brisbane awaiting...arguably, we were equally, if not more capable than Port of picking them off. But it wasn't to be.

2005 was a disaster as far as injuries were concerned, but we still powered on, only to produce a less than spirited effort against Sydney. Although, West Coast were pretty good that year, we would have had them in Victoria. Still disappointing.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
His tenure could easily be broken down by year...
2007 - 4/10: should never have redrafted Gehrig and had a great team but failed to make the finals.
2008 - 6/10: we were lucky to finish top 4...It's only because Essendon failed to show up in the last round that we found ourselves in the top 4. We did have a great win against the Hawks in the H&A though.
2009 - 9.5/10: 19 wins in a row...All but won the flag. Lost three games by a combined total of less than 20 points.
2010 - 9/10: Harder year. Had one more shot at the flag and drew the Grand Final and we finished 3rd despite not having Roo available for most of the season with his hamstring injury. The Lovett trade had not worked and it was obvious that there was a lack of talented youth coming through.
2011 - 5/10: Terrible start to the year...1 win and a draw from the first 7 games. Recovered to finish 6th but lost to Sydney. Hadn't played enough kids and the evidence of neglectful drafting was evident for all to see. His final act to ditch the club for Freo was a surprise but his expectation to lock away a long term deal when we were 1 from 7 games was the height of arrogance.

If we judge him solely on his tenure of how he left the club from when he arrived then he is a poor 4/10...But if we look at how close we got to two flags then he is an 8/10. I tend to look at the latter.
Leigh Matthews coached Collingwood to a flag in 1990 and coached the Lions to 3 in a row. When lethal departed no-one said he wasn't a great coach due to the state of the squads and the health of their lists. Therefore I agree with your analysis that Lyon shouldn't be judged solely on where the list was when he departed.

With coaches like Lyon and other coaches similar in recent history who got close like Rocket Eade with the Dogs or the Dees with Northey and Neil Daniher we remember how close they got but I think it's important to analyse their entire tenure and rate each year as above.

Mathematically I think you've nailed it. Coaches use statistics because they remove subjective opinion.
I'd be giving Ross 9.5 in season 2010 because of Rooy going down and the fact that we backed up after '09, but I'd only give him 9/10 in 2009 because we failed after being so dominant in h&a - so that still adds up to 18.5 for both years. I’d be a bit more generous and say he gets a pass for 2007 and we increase the score to a 5/10 due to him being a first year coach...let's also increase both 2008 and 2011 to say 7/10 and 6/10.
If you add these few extra points and divide the total by 5 that gives Lyon a 7.5 out of 10.

5+7+9+9.5+6= 37.5
37.5 divided by 5= 7.5

That's pretty good compared to our history and compared to a lot of coaches going round, but Lyon imo is not a better coach than Stan or Grant or even Kenny Sheldon. He certainly doesn’t qualify as great.

Lyon is over rated as a coach for St Kilda from some of the regulars here on SS due to the sycophants in media like Roos and Wallsy. Imo history shows that coaches are judged for what they deliver - not what they nearly deliver.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

GT knew tactics weren't his strength, that's why Rendell was his right hand man, they were a team.

Much like Sheldon and Hudson were a team, until the club busted the partnership, why i don't know. :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
To the top
SS Life Member

With Sheldon and Hudson, the Club did not know with who the primary responsibility lay with when performance ebbed - so they sacked both!

True!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it great seeing other sides copping pressure. Collingwood' s decision to extend Buckley during the nab challenge was idiotic.
Buckley
Hardwick
Hinkley
Lyon

All copping it. All under the pump.