Heppell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Heppell

Playon wrote:Well the figure being bandied around is $1mil a year, is he worth that? No way is hell. I'd rather pass, sure he's a good player but he's no Ablett or Fythe.
If we can get him for the right price, sure why not
You might just find we are interested in one of the Dopers, but not necessarily he of the dreadies. Think more KPP, and an actual mate of Carlisle's (and he dudn't have many left out that way - but this one is).

Then consider where we might be a little deficient soonish (current key defenders are how old, and one of them isn't actually a key defender - more "3rd tall"?).

Preferentially placed, us, so I'm told, and a very small field in the race thus far. He hasn't sued 'em yet, but he will.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Playon wrote:Well the figure being bandied around is $1mil a year, is he worth that? No way is hell. I'd rather pass, sure he's a good player but he's no Ablett or Fythe.
If we can get him for the right price, sure why not
You might just find we are interested in one of the Dopers, but not necessarily he of the dreadies. Think more KPP, and an actual mate of Carlisle's (and he dudn't have many left out that way - but this one is).

Then consider where we might be a little deficient soonish (current key defenders are how old, and one of them isn't actually a key defender - more "3rd tall"?).

Preferentially placed, us, so I'm told, and a very small field in the race thus far. He hasn't sued 'em yet, but he will.
who

Playon
Club Player

Well we'd be mad not to look at the bombers fire sale, but Hurley at 900k? When we're so desperate for mids. Would be a great pickup but really were at the stage where we need to address our midfield issues, sure we can do it by the draft but will they be ready when its time to challenge? and if we pick up duds?

We only have a certain amount of cash, where best to spend it?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

With Carlisle and Goddard our key backs are set for the next 5-7 years. We do not need Hurley and especially not on the coin being bandied around IMO.

The way the game is going, we need 4 players the likes of Jimmy Webster to make up the other 4 defensive spots next to the above mentioned talls, and as such either he or Goddard would be surplus to needs.

184-190 cm running types that can play short and medium that use the ball well. x4.

Hurley is a high-ish possession winner for a key back, but he'll never be able to play the running/rebounding role as well as a smaller and lighter player.

Heppell is pretty much exactly what we need. He just needs to move the ball forward more as he does crab a lot and is poor on the meters gained. The anti Jack Steven.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's worth 750-800 max

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally i think Hurley is overrated.

He should be elite. He is good at best

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure why people think anyone will leave Essendon.
Hird said they were waiting for the truth to come out and they have an ace up their sleeves.
Oh wait. Hahahahahahahaha

elizabethr
Club Player

Ho hum...yawn

nothing to say
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Personally i think Hurley is overrated.

He's very good against taxi drivers!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Rosco
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:I'm not sure why people think anyone will leave Essendon.
Hird said they were waiting for the truth to come out and they have an ace up their sleeves.
Oh wait. Hahahahahahahaha

But goose, he still hasn't had a chance to tell his side of the story...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:At 24 and 189cm and theway he plays he would be a great get to complement the mids and team we currently have. Our list very much needs a player like him.
It sure does. I'd say he's almost the new Goddard.

I really like his maturity, his natural leadership and his foot-skills. And we're about an hour closer to his home town of Leongatha if he ever needs to nip home :)

I dare say a year out of the game will have extended his career by another year at the back-end. Getting away from the sport for a year and getting your body perfect isn't a bad thing at all.

We've got the cap space, the ambition, the list profile. He ticks everything we need. Four-year deal, 750k per year.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saint_J
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:would have him at the saints
Me to hope it could happen, he can be hot a cold but he has class and his best is match winning.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Personally i think Hurley is overrated.

Agree, over rated, much prefer Heppell

Nee!
supersaints
Club Player

Be cautious with any Bomber fire sale, the end already burnt us twice.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Not suggesting we should take on the undreaded "H", just that there might be some interest, from both sides of the negotiating table.

And, let's face it, we took the salary cap pain, focused on getting kiddies and lesser lights, so that we would find ourselves in a cap position to be able to cast a wide net among the higher end talent.....around about now.

On the Goddard thing, I reckon we need to give him time. He's a big unit, has had a couple of setbacks and may take longer than we think. Ergo, I wouldn't be crossing any "types" off the list of what we need.

An interesting case in point is the side currently sitting on top of the ladder. The modern prototype side doesn't have the number of big forwards the Kangaroosters send out each week. Petrie, Waite, Brown spend a lot of time on the ground together. Last week against Melbourne, Goldstein kept adding the the size forward, and yesterday they added Wood at 192'ish cms.

I'm not mentioning that from the perspective of having to combat such a side with big defenders, rather that one template does not fit all sides as they try to improve.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SMS
Club Player

Saints are looking phenomenol.

In a few years we will be looking back saying WOW Bruce kicked off the contracts for all players.

We just signed a gun KPF for $500k a year. WHAT? Thats amazing and he has set the standard. Jake Carlisle is a gun has bought in and at $550k per year another bargain. IMO we will become te next dynasty of 2-4 flags on the back off all the players buying in and signing very reasonable contracts. So if heppel wants in?? He can play for $500k or go away.

We should be more concerned with getting players better and signing everyone we have now like ross, mackenzie, freeman, minchy, weler, sinclair billings lonie etc. we have amazing depth atm. The boys have geniune chemistry and leadership. VERY EXCITING.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Saints are looking phenomenol.

In a few years we will be looking back saying WOW Bruce kicked off the contracts for all players.

We just signed a gun KPF for $500k a year. WHAT? Thats amazing and he has set the standard. Jake Carlisle is a gun has bought in and at $550k per year another bargain. IMO we will become te next dynasty of 2-4 flags on the back off all the players buying in and signing very reasonable contracts. So if heppel wants in?? He can play for $500k or go away.

We should be more concerned with getting players better and signing everyone we have now like ross, mackenzie, freeman, minchy, weler, sinclair billings lonie etc. we have amazing depth atm. The boys have geniune chemistry and leadership. VERY EXCITING.

Best depth that i can remember.

We have potentially 30 odd afl standard footballers.

In 2009 2010 the figure was more like 18 or 19.

Everyone acknowledged our bottom 4 werepretty ordinary.