I think Minch has made it.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: I think Minch has made it.

Minchington eyeing permanent spot

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-1 ... anent-spot

Good on him

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:LATE BLOOMERS exactly!

Dees and dogs talk crap saying average age is same or lower why is everyone saying saints are youngest???

We have 30 players under 50 games. We have only 11 who have played 50-200 games. We are the mpst inexperienced side in the comp.

Very exciting as we should be bottom and struggling but we are already playing some very good football. In 2018 we'll have 20 players in the 50-200 game experience bracket. It will be a joke. We will smash everyone.
This is a good point. If you have a game with 10x30yos and 10x20yos versus 20x25yos the average is the same but you would back the team with the 25yos every day of the week. So because our list is so uneven and we have so few players at peak age - our average age doesnt tell the true story.

On Saturday we had 12 blokes under the 50 game mark. The Hawks had 7. When Gibson, Roughead and Hill come back in Hawthorn probably drop to only 4 or 5 blokes under 50 games. Big difference there.

The Doggies had 10 blokes under the 50 game mark playing on Saturday. Melbourne had 11. So we still have more kids than both.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Minchington is very good. Too good for the VFL.

Not sure the drawback?

Maybe engine?.... But he smashes the numbers in the VFL playing on ball.

He is quick, skilled (especially by foot) and clever... Plus tough
His defence is as good as his offence and his tackle numbers extraordinary

I think Lonie, Weller, Billings, Minchington, Armitage, Dunstan, Steven, Ross, Acres
Should all rotate through
Inside Mid x 3
HF x 2
FP x 2
INT x 2
Spares
Templeton, Curran

Outside
Wing x 2
Running back
Int

Savage, Newnes, Montagna, Gilbert/Riewoldt

5 defenders
Fisher, Dempster, Geary, Webster, Roberton (Lee)

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Was disappointing today.

Just couldn't find the ball.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Was disappointing today.

Not the lone ranger though.....a very disappointing effort all round.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Still got 7 tackles atleast, I'd move him to lonies position who got 0 tackles, not great if your there for forward 50 pressure. Lonie rest, Acres into the middle, or Gresham for a like for like swap.

longtimesaint
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:Was disappointing today.

Not the lone ranger though.....a very disappointing effort all round.
I don't know about cementing a permanent spot but he is likely to lose his place next week.
We have to give Acres a decent chance and reward the players who played well for Sandy.

One year will be our year
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

not by todays game. I like him a lot but he was found wanting

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Always had real doubts, mainly because he doesn't have anything to separate him from the morass of ordinary footballers.

Today those doubts became concerns - I doubt he'll make it.

And, yes, Lonie needs a rest - he's a 2nd year player coming off a 1st year where he outperformed. What is he? 19?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Crikey people are quick to write players off. Even posters who are measured and mostly balanced are keen to consign blokes to the dustbin. He's played 12 games.

I know that more blokes don't make it at the top level than those who do, but the tendency to consign blokes to the bin is nuts.

Last year it was Dunstan who was no good. Seb Ross was not going to make it. Young blokes need time.

Have a read of this article from yesterday's Age about Seb Ross's journey. He's been in the system five years and only now is he starting to blossom. He's now regarded as 'emerging', after five years.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/r ... odhsg.html

bigred
Saintsational Legend

7 tackles.

Even if you cant get the ball, you can still chase and tackle.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Breakout AFL game followed by an ordinary game. He's shown this before. He needed to make every post a winner this season with all the good young smalls we have. Not giving up on him but consistency at AFL level is what its about if you want to make it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Minch is a bloke that I reckon provides the spark a team needs to win games of footy. He's also working hard if you look at his stats over the last month or so in both VFL and AFL.

He's earnt his spot in the seniors because he makes good decisions and he's shown he can match it at this level. I'd be dropping Lonie or resting Joey or anyone else with minor niggles.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What about playing him in the middle for more then 2 centre bounces? I think he is more of a mid than a small forward and we should give him extended runs in the middle rather than leaving him in the forward line.

Rest Lonie & McCartin (both did nothing) and bring in Curren and Membrey. Plus rest Joey for a week and bring in 8cres.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
longtimesaint
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:What about playing him in the middle for more then 2 centre bounces? I think he is more of a mid than a small forward and we should give him extended runs in the middle rather than leaving him in the forward line.

Rest Lonie & McCartin (both did nothing) and bring in Curren and Membrey. Plus rest Joey for a week and bring in 8cres.
I wouldn't rest McCartin as a big key forward needs games and to create some synergy with Bruce.
Lonie perhaps a rest for Acres.

One year will be our year
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

7 tackles equals about 15 possessions given the lack of tackling from many others.

So even though he had only 6 possessions he should definitely get a gig next week as he was applying pressure acts, which I thought was a non negotiable from the coach.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:7 tackles equals about 15 possessions given the lack of tackling from many others.

So even though he had only 6 possessions he should definitely get a gig next week as he was applying pressure acts, which I thought was a non negotiable from the coach.
Something like 6 players had 0 tackles and a couple had 1. so at some points in the game we would have been fielding 18player with almost half of whom hadn't laid a tackle. It's pretty poor. Have to reward anyone with 5+ tackles given everyone elses lack of effort.