Votes v GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Votes v GWS

When the game was up for grabs in the first qtr we had 58% kicking efficiency to their 73%. The game was pretty much over at quarter time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Armo, Montagna, Steven, Gilbo were terrible at times but...even our captain was guilty of turning it over on multiple occasions by foot. He was still probably bog for Saints and I thought Sav was not too far behind

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Lot of love for Ross here which IMO is misplaced.

Has excellent disposal over 25m or so but is average over distance and is too easily cut out of games.

Not impactful enough
Seb laid 9 tackles for the match, more than any other player on the ground. 6 of his mates didn't lay any.

He was also our second best player after our gallant captain.

There are still posters around who don't like the fact that Ross showed them up as crap judges of football talent.

Misplaced love? Rubbish.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ross is gradually improving and will continue to as the year goes on, but like the rest of our midfield, they just don't hurt the opposition with their disposals- yesterday's match was a classic example.

Freebird
Club Player

Has excellent disposal over 25m or so but is average over distance and is too easily cut out of games.

Not impactful enough
This..
we can't carry 3 slow mids unless they heavily impact. Our mids do ok everyone is happy with Ross/Armitage/Dunstan but the opposition cut us up carry create and kick goals not handball chip sideways/backwards.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Votes v GWS Giants

5 - Riewoldt
3 - Savage
3 - Armitage
2 - Ross
2 - Steven

Hold your ground :shock:
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Roo
Ross
Hickey
Lee
Steven

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Not impactful enough
Seb laid 9 tackles for the match, more than any other player on the ground. 6 of his mates didn't lay any.

There are still posters around who don't like the fact that Ross showed them up as crap judges of football talent.

Misplaced love? Rubbish.
And we're a bottom 4 team and we were SMASHED in the middle in the last.

I'm not saying he's a bad player... if you read my posts, I've actually been a big fan of his in the past...
And credit where credit is due, his overall performance has improved. He's not damaging though and he's not anywhere close to being a match winner.

He's in the same bracket as a bunch of other players who look good when were winning and not so good when we're losing but he's not impacting the game enough. The majority of his disposals are shorter kicks (which he does really well) but his inability to (at this point) break lines and hit up the forwards from a distance hurts.
From yesterday I def reckon Newnes was more impactful on the contest then Ross was and would have him ahead (and I've been very critical of Newnes in the past).

And even though he's a lot more inconsistent I reckon Acres' best is better than Ross' and I back Dunstan in ahead of him too (at this stage) because Luke takes more risks and occasionally one will come off.

I think it's nonsense that ppl don't want to give Ross his due because they may have criticised him in the past. Really poor comment.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not impactful enough

Misplaced love? Rubbish.

I'm not saying he's a bad player... if you read my posts, I've actually been a big fan of his in the past...
And credit where credit is due, his overall performance has improved. He's not damaging though and he's not anywhere close to being a match winner.

He's in the same bracket as a bunch of other players who look good when were winning and not so good when we're losing but he's not impacting the game enough. The majority of his disposals are shorter kicks (which he does really well) but his inability to (at this point) break lines and hit up the forwards from a distance hurts.
From yesterday I def reckon Newnes was more impactful on the contest then Ross was and would have him ahead (and I've been very critical of Newnes in the past).

And even though he's a lot more inconsistent I reckon Acres' best is better than Ross' and I back Dunstan in ahead of him too (at this stage) because Luke takes more risks and occasionally one will come off.

I think it's nonsense that ppl don't want to give Ross his due because they may have criticised him in the past. Really poor comment.

But a true comment all the same.

Luke ahead of Seb? That may be your opinion, but its certainly not mine.

Dont think the coach agrees with you on Acres either.

Acres may in time be a better footballer but he certainly isnt at the moment or he would be in the side ahead of Seb.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not impactful enough

Misplaced love? Rubbish.

Complete nonsense. To say that Dunstan is ahead of Ross is ridiculous. Dunstan this year is having almost zero impact in any game, he has barely reached 20 disposals in any one game, does not break lines and has no defensive impact. Ross has now gone way past him. Ross is now only behind Steven and armo in our midfield rotations. He doesn't fumble ever, is cool under pressure and makes great decisions. He has also improved his run and is now finding space, he took 4 uncontested marks this week and provided great link up through the midfield

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Can we please just stick to giving vote on this thread?

If you want to argue start another thread!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan is really struggling IMO

He doesn't touch the footy enough

elizabethr
Club Player

5 Roo
4 Hickey
3 Armo
2 Ross
1 Lee

nothing to say
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not impactful enough

Misplaced love? Rubbish.

Complete nonsense. To say that Dunstan is ahead of Ross is ridiculous. Dunstan this year is having almost zero impact in any game, he has barely reached 20 disposals in any one game, does not break lines and has no defensive impact. Ross has now gone way past him. Ross is now only behind Steven and armo in our midfield rotations. He doesn't fumble ever, is cool under pressure and makes great decisions. He has also improved his run and is now finding space, he took 4 uncontested marks this week and provided great link up through the midfield
To elaborate, what I said was I back Dunstan in. By that I meant that he will be the better player over time. Happy to acknowledge that that wasn't articulated clearly.

Whilst certainly not as consistent, Dunstan takes the game on more. Like in the first quarter where he got himself into position to have that gimme shot at goal that he sprayed...
He takes on opponents, backs himself to beat them and lives and does by the results. Sometimes they come off, sometimes they don't.

Personally I respect that type of game more.

You don't see Ross in those types of positions. Yes Ross is fitter and knows how to get in to space better but when he gets the ball, what does he do with it..? Takes the safe and easy option.
Sure he's composed but like I've said repeatedly, he is not at this point hurting the opposition.

Have you ever noticed how this season, we're regularly having 15-20minp patches where we can seldom get the ball our half forward line? Like the first quarter on Sunday...
Do you know why that it?

It goes something like this...
We get the ball after a behind. Chip it around... eventually run out of options whilst the opposition fills up space ahead, bomb it forward... lose possession, it comes back. We eventually get it in a contest as our backs bring it to ground... we hand ball around, a player wins a contest, passes it to a guy like Ross on the run who chips it 30m forward to a safe option. This stops play and the whole wretched cycle starts again.

Like I said before... I have nothing against Sebastian, and he has clearly improved and hopefully will continue to do so... but he doesn't take the game on enough... he's not damaging. He plays safe and slow football.
To move his game forward, he needs to be able to back himself as the guy who gets the ball, beats his opponent and hits Paddy on the chest or kicks the goal himself.

As far as Acres go... obviously Ross has him covered for consistency but I think Acres best quarter of football this year (the third vs Port) has been better than most quarters Ross produces even though Ross is playing better games. It again comes down to impact. At some point you need a player to be able to do the hard/skillful things... navigate through traffic, burn off the opponent, kick the ball long to advantage, have the shot himself... find space and be on the end of something thing... he needs that oomph. And I hope he finds it.

Saynta I don't know how you figure you can get into the heads of forumites and grasp their psychology when reviewing players but based on what I've read, I doubt your reasons for thinking people are embarrassed to admit they were wrong are based in reality. I'd love to see you explain, but doubt you will.

Trixilver
Club Player

5 Reiwoldt
4 Hickey
3 Savage
2 Bruce
1 Sinclair

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not impactful enough

Misplaced love? Rubbish.

To elaborate, what I said was I back Dunstan in. By that I meant that he will be the better player over time. Happy to acknowledge that that wasn't articulated clearly.

Whilst certainly not as consistent, Dunstan takes the game on more. Like in the first quarter where he got himself into position to have that gimme shot at goal that he sprayed...
He takes on opponents, backs himself to beat them and lives and does by the results. Sometimes they come off, sometimes they don't.

Personally I respect that type of game more.

You don't see Ross in those types of positions. Yes Ross is fitter and knows how to get in to space better but when he gets the ball, what does he do with it..? Takes the safe and easy option.
Sure he's composed but like I've said repeatedly, he is not at this point hurting the opposition.

Have you ever noticed how this season, we're regularly having 15-20minp patches where we can seldom get the ball our half forward line? Like the first quarter on Sunday...
Do you know why that it?

It goes something like this...
We get the ball after a behind. Chip it around... eventually run out of options whilst the opposition fills up space ahead, bomb it forward... lose possession, it comes back. We eventually get it in a contest as our backs bring it to ground... we hand ball around, a player wins a contest, passes it to a guy like Ross on the run who chips it 30m forward to a safe option. This stops play and the whole wretched cycle starts again.

Like I said before... I have nothing against Sebastian, and he has clearly improved and hopefully will continue to do so... but he doesn't take the game on enough... he's not damaging. He plays safe and slow football.
To move his game forward, he needs to be able to back himself as the guy who gets the ball, beats his opponent and hits Paddy on the chest or kicks the goal himself.

As far as Acres go... obviously Ross has him covered for consistency but I think Acres best quarter of football this year (the third vs Port) has been better than most quarters Ross produces even though Ross is playing better games. It again comes down to impact. At some point you need a player to be able to do the hard/skillful things... navigate through traffic, burn off the opponent, kick the ball long to advantage, have the shot himself... find space and be on the end of something thing... he needs that oomph. And I hope he finds it.

Saynta I don't know how you figure you can get into the heads of forumites and grasp their psychology when reviewing players but based on what I've read, I doubt your reasons for thinking people are embarrassed to admit they were wrong are based in reality. I'd love to see you explain, but doubt you will.

i rest my case. :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Well that's a bit disrespectful

Whether my opinion is right or wrong, I took the time to write a detailed post both expanding on my view and responding to your observations. You could have returned at least returned the courteousy

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

111 Riewoldt
67 Hickey
45 Savage
43 Ross
27 Lee
27 Steven
14 Dempster
7 Armitage
5 Bruce
4 Dunstan
4 Newnes
3 Sinclair
3 Webster

Therefore:
5 Riewoldt
4 Hickey
3 Savage
2 Ross
0.5 Lee
0.5 Steven

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!