20 years ago. Trevor Barker. RIP

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: 20 years ago. Trevor Barker. RIP

Barks was my hero when I was a kid.

When I was about seven years old, my Grandfather took me down to Linton Street to have a look around the place. Went through the rooms and such. The place was pretty much empty, with just some admin staff rolling around and they didn't care what we did or where we went.

So we were walking through and went into a common room where Barks and Gary Sidebottom were playing table tennis. Barks being Barks was incredibly friendly to the seven year old toting a woolen guernsey with number 1 on the back. So he took us through the whole place on a bit of a tour. He grabbed a footy and gave it to me, then we went up the race onto the ground. He spent the best part of an hour kicking a football around with me. Trying to teach me to handball properly etc etc... Pretty much did a footy clinic with him.

Can you imagine what that was like for a football mad seven year old? I will never, ever forget it.

I followed Barks to Sandringham and started going to games when he coached which is why I still follow them pretty closely now. Got to see the two premierships which was a real thrill as even through junior footy I had never been a part of one.

I wish he had the chance to coach St.Kilda. He was a pretty damn good coach.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

this was posted on VFL footy in the 80's
the highlights of the game 2 days after his passing- with trubute at beginning

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
the dome
Club Player

Trevor Barker. RIP

I wasn't a Saints supporter at the right time to see Trevor play for St. Kilda but I happened to very briefly meet him on the beach oval at a pre-season st. Kilda hit-out. Trevor seemed to me to embody a certain kindness to go along with his legendary bravery which was very humbling in the brief few seconds in which we exchanged hellos. I felt grateful for having met Trevor that day but humbled as I thought back on how close it was to his passing away and the realisation that he looked like he was dealing with a great deal of pain.
No wonder Trevor Barker was loved & appreciated by so many.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:this was posted on VFL footy in the 80's
the highlights of the game 2 days after his passing- with trubute at beginning

A good page to follow on the facebook. Two guys run it. One of them is a long time occasional poster on this site.

https://www.facebook.com/VFL-Footy-in-t ... 606973828/

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"