Midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

elizabethr
Club Player

Re: Midfield

Steven is incredibly Overated

nothing to say
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
As to this year unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of options as there is not much on offer in our reserves at Sandy. Acres has shown flashes, and one whole game, but that is all. We need whole games.
I'm not sure why Acres was dropped but I want to see him in the team and also our other youth like Minchy provided with more opportunities for them to produce more of those 'flashes.' Consistency is only gained through experience.

I don't think we should be comparing Acres or Minchington's output versus the senior players or even guys that have played 50-100.

Hickey only just notched up his 50th and yet last year there were a few arm chair critics ready to write him off.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Steven is incredibly Overated
He's the best we've got so that is why he is rated by most of us. Another couple like him and the midfield sould be respectable rather than poor to average

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
As to this year unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of options as there is not much on offer in our reserves at Sandy. Acres has shown flashes, and one whole game, but that is all. We need whole games.
I'm not sure why Acres was dropped but I want to see him in the team and also our other youth like Minchy provided with more opportunities for them to produce more of those 'flashes.' Consistency is only gained through experience.

I don't think we should be comparing Acres or Minchington's output versus the senior players or even guys that have played 50-100.

Hickey only just notched up his 50th and yet last year there were a few arm chair critics ready to write him off.
I was not saying to not play Acres again, but rather that we do not have a lot of midfield options, and in particular good ones.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:By some miracle we need to Acres and Freeman to come good and become consistent guns.
we arent going to make finals with Armo, Dunstan and Ross.
Steven is a lone wolf out there a lot of the time.
Freeman needs to forget about football until his hamstrings are perfect - next year.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintbob
SS Life Member

I'd compare Matt Crouch to Blake Acres, the difference is Crouch has been given extended time in the midfield where Acres is played forward with the occasional run through the midfield.

These two were both drafted in 2014, Acres @ 19( 15 games) and Crouch @ 23 (33 games)

Acres is a natural mid who gets lost up forward, I understand Richo is trying to add that defensive side to his game but I also believe this can be taught whilst he spends more time in the midfield.
This is how Crouch is being taught, and don't get me wrong Crouch is still a work in progress but he is way ahead of Acres in terms of development because he has been allowed to play as a mid.

Crouch wouldn't get a game as a HFF, because like Acres he'd get lost.
Last edited by saintbob on Mon 06 Jun 2016 1:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I might be wrong but I think Temps is going to make it. He wont be a star but I see him as best 22 material and a good role player in 2-3 years.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:I'd compare Matt Crouch to Blake Acres, the difference is Crouch has been given extended time in the midfield where Acres is played forward with the occasional run through the midfield.

These two were both drafted in 2014, Acres @ 19(15 games) and Crouch @ 23 (33 games)

Acres is a natural mid who gets lost up forward, I understand Richo is trying to add that defensive side to his game but I also believe this can be taught whilst he spends more time in the midfield.
This is how Crouch is being taught, and don't get me wrong Crouch is still a work in progress but he is way ahead of Acres in terms of development because he has been allowed to play as a mid.

Modern game you need to play multiple positions... Very few get only midfield time from first run - need to earn it.

Matt Crouch only came in to replace Thompson and good luck to him.

If Acres wants to play seniors, he'll need to earn his spot where he is put. Just like the players playing midfield right now have.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Roberton is the classic down hill skier of whom I have never been a fan. For a tall 194cm player he plays like a midget, goes to ground far too often and is out bodied by players much smaller than him.
I was once a huge fan of Roberton and considered him a long term gun but he has lost my support this year. I agree he plays small. He doesnt really contest in the air. He isn't fast and has an unreliable kick.

Another one of our players who is good on paper and 'in theory' but sadly lacking in reality.

He sounds like a star on paper. 194cm skilful bloke who can run all day with a ton of courage and a mean tackle. What's not to like?

Like Gilbo - he is great on paper but very ordinary in the 2 hours every weekend that count.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Roberton... :evil: :shock: :roll:
Big numbers against poor teams when nobody is on him.
He will never, ever help in a final. 194 but cannot compete in the air and no real second efforts at all.
One percenters? Zero percent from him.
Compare him to Weller, yes they're different sizes, but several times I've seen Mav outnumbered and still get the ball out to a runner. He competes and has grunt.
Dylan wants the east receive. Lazy, not a team player.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Roberton... :evil: :shock: :roll:
He will never, ever help in a final. 194 but cannot compete in the air and no real second efforts at all.
Compare him to Weller, yes they're different sizes, but several times I've seen Mav outnumbered and still get the ball out to a runner. He competes and has grunt.
Dylan is the smallest 194cm player in the league. Think of him as 10cm shorter and it makes sense.

He is fine with Fish and Dunpster in support, or maybe Calrisle and Lee next year. It won't be Goddard until 2018 now sadly

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Non-competitive team efforts such as yesterday, fall right back at the feet of the coach. After three years I still see no real system or style in AR' s coaching apart from the team playing like a bunch of headless chickens in a paddock, and on days where they are all running in the same direction, we might win a game against equally bad opposition.
The football dept should be hauled over the coals for presenting such a rabble yesterday, and as this is now the second embarrassing effort in one season, heads should roll. If a business were run like this, they would be shutting up shop.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Non-competitive team efforts such as yesterday, fall right back at the feet of the coach. After three years I still see no real system or style in AR' s coaching apart from the team playing like a bunch of headless chickens in a paddock, and on days where they are all running in the same direction, we might win a game against equally bad opposition.
The football dept should be hauled over the coals for presenting such a rabble yesterday, and as this is now the second embarrassing effort in one season, heads should roll. If a business were run like this, they would be shutting up shop.
Agree Spert but I dont think sacking Richo is the answer. He has a support crew who, apart from the defensive coach and ruck coach have all been at the club far too long. It would be fine if the club had been sucessful over that period but they have been the complete opposite. Too many under performers who were no where to be seen when the walls were caving in around Richo yesterday. Richo has tried to stay upbeat but things are wearing him down and the club need to realise this and and act swiftly at years end.

It is a significant issue when of 22 players only probably 1 beat his opponent yesterday and that was Geary.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintspremiers wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:Roberton... :evil: :shock: :roll:
Dylan is the smallest 194cm player in the league. Think of him as 10cm shorter and it makes sense.

He is fine with Fish and Dunpster in support, or maybe Calrisle and Lee next year. It won't be Goddard until 2018 now sadly
Roberton will never ever be our version of the Cat's Harry Taylor or the Hawks' Gibson, he doesn't bring enough hunger to game day.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Try Robbo as an outside mid...

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:Be interesting to see how many changes Richo makes? Probably one if he has his way. Goddard injured.

Dunstan, Gilbert and Billings are obvious outs for me, but you watch he wont drop them.
Roberton is the classic down hill skier of whom I have never been a fan. For a tall 194cm player he plays like a midget, goes to ground far too often and is out bodied by players much smaller than him.

Time to give Minchington & Templeton consistent midfield game time to replace Dunstan & Billings.

Brandon White to debut in lieu of Gilbert.
Hilarious!!! Yep lets drop Dunstan and Billings for two blokes who have proved on numerous occasions that they just cant get the footy at the elite level and have you ever seen Brandon White play? He will be a good footy player but he is so far off playing its really not even worth mentioning.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Steven is incredibly Overated
Have you got rocks in your head?

The kid is a champion.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Champion??

Has he ever been an AA

He's a good player

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is no way Minchington and/or Templeton (or acres) have been given near the opportunities in the midfield that Dunstan and Billings have...

They all get (with Lonie and Sinclair) the worst role in footy... If you want to find the ball.
The small fwd... And not like Milney used to play... They are told to chase arse and tackle...

If any of those were played as full time mids (Curren and Sauders too) their numbers would be no worse

Dunstan and Billings are underwhelming... Considering the time they get in Saints colours and high up the ground.

Luke is not even close to 20ppg as a regular mid... What other mid the the AFL doesn't win the ball

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saintbob wrote:I'd compare Matt Crouch to Blake Acres, the difference is Crouch has been given extended time in the midfield where Acres is played forward with the occasional run through the midfield.

These two were both drafted in 2014, Acres @ 19(15 games) and Crouch @ 23 (33 games)

Modern game you need to play multiple positions... Very few get only midfield time from first run - need to earn it.

Matt Crouch only came in to replace Thompson and good luck to him.

If Acres wants to play seniors, he'll need to earn his spot where he is put. Just like the players playing midfield right now have.
By your logic, once a player has earnt his spot in the team he is guaranteed to be playing each week even when it holds back the development of the kids and the future success of the team. So Gilbo doesn't easily slot into the team as a half back flanker and Roo can't play as a dominant forward ( both positions that they've traditionally played) but by your logic they 'deserve' a spot so Richo has them in the middle.

Obviously, Roo is a dominant forward and is a champion dominant forward but the coach has to provide oportunity to the next generation and we have to get used to a new forward set up for the good of the team in the long term.

We pretend that Roo and Gilbo in the middle is the best for the team and winning games for 2016, but how does it help our midfield in 2017 and beyond? Why is it in the teams long term or medium term interest to have Minch and Acres out of the midfield and Roo and Gilbert in?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Roo is averaging 20 disposals, 10 marks and 2 goals per game this season. Clearly holding his own.

Gilbert is averaging 15 disposals, 3 marks and 0 goals per game. Clearly not holding his spot.
29 yo and should be at his peak but is a passenger most weeks. Picked every single week automatically regardless of form.