Changes v Blues Rd 12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Blues Rd 12

Well, I just reckon Richo hasn't got a clue, can't think out of the box and seems welded to whatever wobbly game plan he may have. The team is undisciplined basically, not well-drilled and has a woeful defensive game. I want to see the light, and I was expecting a slight improvement on last season, but jeez I'm just seeing a bunch of rabbits in the spotlight at the moment.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

You can forget about pushing towards finals until when, and if, the club secures at least two genuine elite mids. 3 if Freeman does not come on.

Steven is our only genuine elite mid at present. Armo is very good but not elite. After that we only have a support cast and that is simply not good enough to play finals.
Well said. I'd throw Dunstan forward and try Acres as a starting mid this week. We desperately need this kid to find his feet as he has shown that he can be the type of explosive mid we need ... if only in glimpses.

Arno, Ross and Dunstan are all good, solid players but a little similar in the way they play. All inside mids and only Ross consistently prolific in getting lots of it.

Lee has to come in this week and hopefully Paddy will get the OK to play as it will give us the option of throwing Bruce back on Casboult.

Obviously prefer Josh forward as he is a lovely kick for goal, but our defence yesterday looked like chookless heads without Fisher's leadership and aerial ability
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 06 Jun 2016 1:28pm, edited 2 times in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

I understand that Fisher has indicated he wishes to continue in 2017 - and his form and importance to the side would suggest that that may be the outcome.

Goddard is a top 20 Draft Pick - and is assessed accordingly in regards being central to the future (if we do not place reliance on our recent Top 20 Draft Picks, what is the future?).

Gilbert has over 150 games of experience, has flexibility and will be the beneficiary of the continuing maturity of those on the List we rely upon to continue to improve.

Perhaps some analysis instead of repeating rants?

The question from here is the response (as with WB, GWS and West Coast) acknowledging that we now have injuries to key personnel.

So the game next Sunday will be defining (yet again, but that is the competition)

George27
Club Player

[quote="BringBackMadDog"]If Roo and McCartin don't play I would like to see Pierce get a run at it, his form for Sandy this year has been outstanding and he has improved out of sight. Lee has to come in for Goddard, this is his last chance to show he has what it takes.
Acres should also be given another go to replace Murdoch who really isn't up to AFL standard.

Outs: Goddard, Paddy, Roo (INJ) Murdoch (Omitted)
Ins: Lee, Pierce, DMac, Acres

I agree with Maddog re the likely changes. Coughlan may well be elevated, but Lee has to be given the next shot as key defender. If ( as I suspect is highly likely ) Paddy is out, Pierce and Hickey sharing the ruck and FP. DMac for Brodie off half back, and Acres to get the chance as big midfielder if Roo is out.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

As long as everyone tries their best.

Maybe we could have an "everyone gets a trophy day" too. Hold it at the Moorabbin ruins.

Acres. Should find room for Acres.

As long as he tries.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Well, I just reckon Richo hasn't got a clue, can't think out of the box and seems welded to whatever wobbly game plan he may have. The team is undisciplined basically, not well-drilled and has a woeful defensive game. I want to see the light, and I was expecting a slight improvement on last season, but jeez I'm just seeing a bunch of rabbits in the spotlight at the moment.
I think the opposite.

I think we are so low on talent, and that it's only been our system and structure that has kept us from being annihilated every week.

Our forward line is sound on talent.

Our midfield is poor.

Our backline is awful.

We've got to be realistic here.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I understand that Fisher has indicated he wishes to continue in 2017 - and his form and importance to the side would suggest that that may be the outcome.

Goddard is a top 20 Draft Pick - and is assessed accordingly in regards being central to the future (if we do not place reliance on our recent Top 20 Draft Picks, what is the future?).

Gilbert has over 150 games of experience, has flexibility and will be the beneficiary of the continuing maturity of those on the List we rely upon to continue to improve.

The question from here is the response (as with WB, GWS and West Coast) acknowledging that we now have injuries to key personnel.

So the game next Sunday will be defining (yet again, but that is the competition)
'Flexibility' and 'experience'. Yet another post citing why Gilbert ought to be good in theory.
Fails to address the actual facts that he plays as an unaccountable loose man and still only averages 10 disposals per game.

Although apparently mentioning this makes me a poor supporter. I should just accept some players are protected species and are permanent automatic selections based on their efforts in 2009 and 2010. They are not subject to any scrutiny or questions at all and should be free to collect their pay cheque of $30k a month in peace and quiet.

Goddard was pick 21. Not top 20.

Fisher is 34 and currently out with a soft tissue injury.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 06 Jun 2016 5:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I understand that Fisher has indicated he wishes to continue in 2017 - and his form and importance to the side would suggest that that may be the outcome.
Fisher having yet another soft tissue injuries after many seasons of them will now make this less likely.

Goddard's injury may gove him a reprive. Though perhaps demoted to the rookie list.

We assume that Lee will now come in while Fisher is out and if so how well Lee goes may determine which of them is at at StKilda next year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
#gosaintas
Club Player

What flexibility has Gilbert got? The ability to play crap football all over the ground is hardly an asset.

Wombat15
Club Player

i heard Nathan Wright was fantastic on the weekend.
IN - Acres, Lee, Wright, Mitchnington (sorry for the spelling).
OUT- Murdoch (cant find the footy and too slow), Goddard (inj), Paddy (rest him for a month 2nd concussion of the season) and im not a Roberton fan and i think he needs a run around in the twos.

my other thinking would be if Rooey and Dempster cant play id add Holmes/Pierce and Coghlan to the list. i do think Curren deserves a run at some point.
I think we are now at a point where we have to start giving the kids/last chancers a crack. We've lost Goddard and Fisher for season and 6 weeks, Paddy needs a rest due to concussions. lets start playing the kids and see what this list will offer.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
spert wrote:Well, I just reckon Richo hasn't got a clue, can't think out of the box and seems welded to whatever wobbly game plan he may have. The team is undisciplined basically, not well-drilled and has a woeful defensive game. I want to see the light, and I was expecting a slight improvement on last season, but jeez I'm just seeing a bunch of rabbits in the spotlight at the moment.
I think the opposite.

I think we are so low on talent, and that it's only been our system and structure that has kept us from being annihilated every week.

Our forward line is sound on talent.

Our midfield is poor.

Our backline is awful.

We've got to be realistic here.
Spot on.

Savaging the coach is pointless when he has this little to work with. He's been good and has the support of the players. All savagery should be reserved for those responsible for list management. We haven't turned our list over enough. We haven't backed ourselves to find a player late in the draft. We haven't found a rookie who can become a regular firsts player. Another rebuilding year or three looms. Let's call off the search for another Sam Mitchell now we have a host of smaller players (and some good ones) and start trying to find the next Issac Smith or Gaff.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
coopergrech wrote:In: Lee, Acres, Minchington , Templeton & Shenton
Out: McCartin, Goddard, Murdoch, Webster & Dempster/Dunstan

If Roo is out then Dempster and Dunstan stay in, if Roo is in, one of those go out!

Also with Hughy going to put on LTI list, i know they may wanna promote Coughlan for a like for like replacement but promote Joshy Saunders and give him another crack, watched him live today and he always puts in and tries his best and was pretty solid today.
Saunders isn't good enough. We have plenty of players like him. I think Acres needs to come in and stay in for the rest of the year. Same goes for Lee.
Lee has a golden opportunity . I hope he excels

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

'Flexibility' and 'experience'. Yet another post citing why Gilbert ought to be good in theory.
Fails to address the actual facts that he plays as an un accountable loose man and still only averages 10 disposals per game.

Although apparently mentioning this makes me a poor supporter. I should just accept some players are protected species and are permanent automatic selections based on their efforts in 2009 and 2010. They are not subject to any scrutiny or questions at all and should be free to collect their pay cheque of $30k a month in peace and quiet.

Goddard was pick 21. Not top 20.

Fisher is 34 and currently out with a soft tissue injury.
So you know for a fact the Gilbert is playing unaccountable football? So you're privy to his role each week? Who did he play on this weekend, what was his role?
Just another pot shot at Gilbert, getting old real quick Con, you need to find another whipping boy.

saintbob
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Why the references to Minchington?

He has had chances but has never consolidated because he is VFL standard - exclusively.

And to put that into context, the VFL is a far inferior competition to the SANFL.

The absence of Fisher is defining - and now magnified by the absence of Goddard and Carlisle.

We simply do not have KPP defenders absent Fisher, Carlisle and Goddard.

So there must now be opportunity for Lee and Delaney to consolidate and show they have a future at AFL level - and successful AFL level.

The positive is that it is likely all of Fisher, Carlisle and Goddard will be available in 2017 as we push to finals football.

Given that, the chance is now there for Lee to show he is the heir apparent to Fisher, supporting Carlisle and Goddard from 2017 onwards.

There is pressure on a number of players being those outside Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dempster, Gilbert as the experience required and Billings, Dunstan, Acres, McCartin, Gresham and Goddard as higher (top 20) Draft Picks and Hickey, Longer, Bruce, Freeman and Carlisle as players actively recruited to the Club.

These performances show we have to keep turning below the above named - and covering the contingencies of injury and retirement.

Injuries to any of the named mean we can turn more players pending return(s) from injury.

Turning players is not successively going back to the likes of Minchington.
Your argument for potting Minch is s***, especially when you bring Tom Lee into the equation.

Tom Lee is up there with one of the worst players ever to be drafted by St Kilda, on a par with Adam Pattinson.

Minch has been played predominately as a defensive half forward, Lee on the other hand has been given chances at both ends of the ground and has failed dismally at both.

As you correctly pointed out VFL is well below SANFL, but both are clearly better than the WAFL where Lee came from and will return to next year!!!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Did Tom Lee play for Sandi yesterday or did he travel to SA as an emergency? If the latter, when did he last have a game, as didn't Sandi have a bye last week? And I think the week before that he was an emergency for the Essendon game - I could be wrong there, but he has been an emergency for a number of games.

He's never been known as an endurance beast, so limited games at VFL wouldn't give him that much match fitness.

older saint
SS Life Member

Out: Goddard, McCartin, Roo? (Inj) Murdoch, Gilbert
IN: Lee, Pierce, Acres, Wright, Minchington/Sinclair/Lonie

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Out: Goddard, McCartin (inj), Gilbert, Murdoch, Riewoldt (if inj)
In: Shenton, Lee, Coughlan, Templeton

Playon
Club Player

Out: Goddard, McCartin
In Acres, Lee

Thinking Roo and Dempster to play.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Out: Goddard, McCartin, Riewoldt
In: Lee, Pierce, Acres

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Assuming that Roo and Demspter are fit to play.

OUT: Goddard Paddy Murdoch
IN: Lee Pierce Acres

Lee as he is our best tall back outside of the 22.

Pierce has been in good form and appears cpable of beinga genuine ruck forward and not justa No 1 ruck.

Acres to run through the midfield to increase our midfield depth.

Roo to spend more time forward.

Gilbert started the year well but last 4 games have been poor. So may be dropped. Our injuries may tend to save him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:Did Tom Lee play for Sandi yesterday or did he travel to SA as an emergency? If the latter, when did he last have a game, as didn't Sandi have a bye last week? And I think the week before that he was an emergency for the Essendon game - I could be wrong there, but he has been an emergency for a number of games.

He's never been known as an endurance beast, so limited games at VFL wouldn't give him that much match fitness.
I just checked Lee's story, he's 25 (born 5/1/1991) and he's therefore not part of our future. Has had time to learn and hasn't come on.
Will return to WAFL maybe.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintbob
SS Life Member

I seen some vision of Roo on the news limping in for scans, it didn't look good but hopefully it's nothing too serious.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Out""" Dempster Goddard McCartin (all injured) Murdoch

In... Lee Coughlan Acres Pierce

Saint wagga
Club Player

Outs: mccartin (inj)
Goddard (inj)
Dempster (inj)

Ins: Lee or Delaney
Acres
Minch, Lonie or Eli

Roo should play if he can get close to up for it against the blues and just play as a forward. Delaney is a better stopper but offers zero going forward, Lee isn't great defensively but offers more rebound disposal, coaches can de ode on best match up. Neither will be a long term afl key defender imo, just stop gaps. Acres can slot in and free Gilbert up for more height in defence if needed. One more small for run and forward 50 pressure. We'll be shorter but the blues aren't massively tall so it's a chance to run and gun at Etihad if we get our pressure up and the whole team applies more effort. Imo fwiw

st.rick
Club Player

Out In
Dempster Mckenzie
Goddard Lee
McCartin Pierce
Riewoldt Acres
Murdoch Lonie

Roo to rest if not at 80% then can come back fresh after bye.