Will Billings be our Judd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Will Billings be our Judd

Billings could be anything. I'll say it now before it comes to pass, he's better than Bontempelli.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Billings could be anything. I'll say it now before it comes to pass, he's better than Bontempelli.
I wish it to true, but I sincerely doubt Billings will become any more better player than an outside flanker similiar to Shaun Higgins.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack has got a long way to go just to get to the level of Bontempelli

And I'm not sure Bont is done improving... There are 2 clear standouts from that draft

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bont is a good player but there is quite a lot of hype about him and Stringer.

If I was a Doggie supporter I would be cautiously excited if that makes sense. They still really haven't done much nor have they done it for long enough.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Billings could be anything. I'll say it now before it comes to pass, he's better than Bontempelli.
A long way to go.

People may quibble over various ratings system but right now the Bont is ranked 5th in the entire comp to Billings 325th.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/stats/player- ... -standings

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

As good as the Bont is, and he is good, he has an awkward kicking style and has been ordinary by foot tonight.

Billings is far more deadly by foot

#1 Ryder fan
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If only kicking was a measure of how good a player is....

But alas, there is actually more to footy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:As good as the Bont is, and he is good, he has an awkward kicking style and has been ordinary by foot tonight.

Brodie Murdoch is probably a better kick than Bont, Fyfe and Dangerfield. Doesn't mean much.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Billings played off half back for Sandringham last week and I'm wondering if we should expect more of the same this week in the seniors. He's probably better than a loose man in defence, but I get the feeling he'd be quite damaging in that role.

Ultimately he'll be a goal-kicking mid. Probably never going to be a tackling machine and nor should we try to turn him into one.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
I wish it to true, but I sincerely doubt Billings will become any more better player than an outside flanker similiar to Shaun Higgins.
When you say ridiculous things like that you start looking like the Doggies troll people have accused you of being.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Apparently Billings played off half back for Sandringham last week and I'm wondering if we should expect more of the same this week in the seniors. He's probably better than a loose man in defence, but I get the feeling he'd be quite damaging in that role.

Ultimately he'll be a goal-kicking mid. Probably never going to be a tackling machine and nor should we try to turn him into one.
Its good to try him out in that position for shizzle. Would be a great option up his sleeve for him to be able to do that quarterback role with his penetrating kicking if we are struggling to get it out of the back. Joey can't got on forever. And he was taking goal square kick outs which Dal used to do a lot with his good kicking. I think they need to make sure he can do lots of roles so that it his hard to tag him.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
A long way to go.

People may quibble over various ratings system but right now the Bont is ranked 5th in the entire comp to Billings 325th.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/stats/player- ... -standings
a bit misleading for players under 40 games, and given the first year of finding your feet i'd say misleading under fifty- sixty. but as a comparison between same year recruits its fair enough.
note that of his draft top twenty billings is well behind the likes of bont, cripps, kelly, dunstan, kolod, taylor, mcdonald, and lang.
also outside the top twenty in the draft that year were ben brown, merret, hartung. mccarthy was 14.
but at least he isn't a freeman (oops), aish, or scharenburg (altho he could come good).

we picked up a good player - on the fringe of the best ten for the year, which is a successful pick. fans just overhyped him like all fans do of top five players.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:As good as the Bont is, and he is good, he has an awkward kicking style and has been ordinary by foot tonight.

Haven't seen the game, but interested to hear that about Bontempelli. I have always wondered why two smart recruiting teams (yes, ours & GWS') overlooked Bontempelli for Billings and Kelly.

So I watched Bontempelli closely both live when we played them and on TV. Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of him, meaning nowhere near as much as I watch our players. My impression was that when he gets the ball at a stoppage, he always moves to his left. Then there appears to be a defect in his kicking, the ball drop is weird, as if compensating for something. I feel he may be found out in finals, particularly deep in finals. He may start been exposed by good teams (midfields) and wily Coaches.

Billings oozes talent, class and the ability to take a game and win it himself. If Billings doesn't evolve into a Champion, the reason will be between his ears.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

hate to say it...

but at times Jack has looked lazy this year... dropping him was a clear message.

the ridiculous decision to allow him to sweep across HB (whilst good for Sandy, because he could do that with his eyes shut) was allowing him to coast even more.

time at the coalface is needed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Bont is 20yo and averaging 24 disposals (12 contested), a goal and 4 tackles a game this season. If he played for us we would be losing our sh*t.

I still think Billings is going to be an absolute gun. I just think it is harder to burst on to the scene these days . Billings still needs another two pre-seasons to become a hardened consistent AFL player.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:hate to say it...

but at times Jack has looked lazy this year... dropping him was a clear message.

the ridiculous decision to allow him to sweep across HB (whilst good for Sandy, because he could do that with his eyes shut) was allowing him to coast even more.

time at the coalface is needed.
If he was allowed to sweep across half back, could it be he was dropped for confidence issues? So they send him back give him free reign across half back, so he gets a lot of the footy and gets to use it? Good way to get back confidence and get back into stride. He was overwhelmed in the Adelaide game and remember still a kid learning the caper.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

We have an Irish lad currently training with us who has been labelled the " Chris Judd " of the Gaelic comp.
I kid you not.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:We have an Irish lad currently training with us who has been labelled the " Chris Judd " of the Gaelic comp.
I kid you not.
Ray Connellan.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-25/i ... ys-us-camp
At 21, Ray Connellan was the "big brother" of the trio and the speedy 188cm prospect from Westmeath saw it as his best opportunity to impress. Connellan was a part of Ireland's squad that beat Australia in the International Rules Series last year, and has always wanted to pursue a career in the AFL.

"There's no young guy growing up who doesn't want to be a pro," he said. "That's why this week has been unbelievable with the Academy – you wake up, eat, train, eat, sleep and do it all over again."

Connellan showed his zip and intensity during drills at the IMG Academy, and has previously run a 2.78-second 20-metre sprint, which gives him an elite trait that clubs are searching for. (That time would place him equal second in combine history behind Joel Wilkinson's 2.75-second run in 2010.)

Connellan has taken a Sherrin home and hopes an AFL club will come knocking. If not, he might go to them.

"A lot of the recruiters have asked me if I'd be willing to move over to Australia to finish my degree and play some lower league football," Connellan said.

"If I'm going to invest my time I may as well do it properly and do everything I can to get to the top level. At 21 this might be my last shot at it so I'd be pretty keen to do anything to make it happen."
http://www.midlands103.com/news-and-spo ... australia/
Ray Connellan Begins AFL Adventure In Australia
26th May 2016

Westmeath forward Ray Connellan has moved a step closer to securing a contract in the AFL Premiership today.

The Athlone clubman has departed for St Kilda where he’s hoping to be drafted for next season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why do we want Billings to be a replica of anyone? The kid is a matchwinner if we use him as a half forward who occasionally gives the mids a break. That's when he plays at his best. He's not going to be as tough as Dunstan or as clean in stoppages as Seb so let's use him for his strengths and imo the other stuff will naturally develop

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:We have an Irish lad currently training with us who has been labelled the " Chris Judd " of the Gaelic comp.
I kid you not.
More than one irish boy training with us I hear Tony74. Is that right?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, you're very observant Saynta.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
I kid you not.
More than one irish boy training with us I hear Tony74. Is that right?
He can run all day.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Yep, you're very observant Saynta.

8-) :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Connellen to McClunken. Nice symetry there

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can we call this new Irish gun "Tommy 2" just so we are all on the same page please?!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.