End of season trade news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: End of season trade news

stevie wrote:Gaff has been the Eagles second best player this year after Kennedy.
Thats all well and good, but what would you pay for him and what does that leave us to trade elsewhere.
If I was to sell the farm I'd rather it go on a best player than a second best and the way trades are going these days with 2 first rounders etc doesnt leave us with many eggs in our basket.

We really need to find a FA at some stage soon

Playon
Club Player

lintonstreet wrote:I have it on very good authority the club is laser locked to trade in a key position A grader.
Can you guess which position?
Ok so weve guessed, who and what position?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Was thinking earlier that I'd trade longer and our 1st round to gws for a 1st round upgrade (pies pick) and geelongs or gws 1st round (gws hold both). Mumford turns 30 soon and longer is a 23 yr old top 10 pick ruckman, seems logical.

Only works if the pies continue to slide down the ladder which seems like a safe bet, they will drop below freo who have an easy run. Then use that top 5 pick or trade for gaff (only way I see that trade getting done, even then could not be enough)

I'm not keen on Hurley, a year off in his prime years is a risk when we already have Carlisle. Unless it's FA grab then go for it.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:I have it on very good authority the club is laser locked to trade in a key position A grader.
Can you guess which position?
Ok so weve guessed, who and what position?
And has the club checked his snapchat account?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Was thinking earlier that I'd trade longer and our 1st round to gws for a 1st round upgrade (pies pick) and geelongs or gws 1st round (gws hold both). Mumford turns 30 soon and longer is a 23 yr old top 10 pick ruckman, seems logical.

Only works if the pies continue to slide down the ladder which seems like a safe bet, they will drop below freo who have an easy run. Then use that top 5 pick or trade for gaff (only way I see that trade getting done, even then could not be enough)

I'm not keen on Hurley, a year off in his prime years is a risk when we already have Carlisle. Unless it's FA grab then go for it.
I quite like this idea. Every chance Pies finish below us.

Pretty funny that the Pies will finish bottom 6 but wont have a first round draft pick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still think Essendon might be prepared to let Hurley go given they have Hooker, Gleeson, Hartley and Brown down back.
Although if they can lure Jenkins as a FA they can also keep Hurley.
If they cant get Jenkins they might be willing to lose Hurley and go for Patton.

The question is do we really want/need Hurley? He is 26 and we already have Carlisle, Roberton and Goddard down back.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:If we trade away our top pick for another big guy I'll spew. We need to use our top pick for quality midfielder.

Young Tall Forwards we are well stocked up - Paddy, Bruce, Membrey, possibly Pierce as a resting ruck (and Roo keeps on keeping on)
Young Tall Backs we are stocked with - Carlisle, Goddard, Lee, Delaney, Robeton, Coughlan,

Where we are deficient is a really classy genuine midfielder with some serious outside game and great disposal. This could be our last top 10 pick for a while. If they trade it away for Hurley or that Marchbank I'll be really worried.
Fair point, but the other question that needs to be researched is: will there be a genuine gun midfielder available between picks 6 & 10 in this year's draft?

Playon
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Bluthy wrote:If we trade away our top pick for another big guy I'll spew. We need to use our top pick for quality midfielder.

Young Tall Forwards we are well stocked up - Paddy, Bruce, Membrey, possibly Pierce as a resting ruck (and Roo keeps on keeping on)
Young Tall Backs we are stocked with - Carlisle, Goddard, Lee, Delaney, Robeton, Coughlan,

Where we are deficient is a really classy genuine midfielder with some serious outside game and great disposal. This could be our last top 10 pick for a while. If they trade it away for Hurley or that Marchbank I'll be really worried.
Fair point, but the other question that needs to be researched is: will there be a genuine gun midfielder available between picks 6 & 10 in this year's draft?
So were trading in a A grader KPP player and not using our first pick?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

True Believer wrote:Why does my gut see us waving goodbye to Billy Longer, (and maybe a pick)?
I think that depends on where we see our gameplan, structures etc. going in the next few years.

If the setup is a 1 ruckman only set up, then it is not unreasonable for Longer to seek the No.1 spot elsewhere and the Club should facilitate a trade.

If there is room for two ruckman (bearing in mind that Hickey will develop as a forward weapon) in that set up, then I think the Club will want to keep Longer, in fact would be foolish not to, and could convince him to stay.

Playon
Club Player

Billy is going nowhere

lintonstreet
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Sounds like another "I heard a rumour about a rumour" thread.

Pssssttt... Laser locked... Yeah good authority ...Sure thing, pal!
No need to get petty.

Source genuine. For the record I never mentioned a player just the key position.

Playon
Club Player

I heard we were going to trade in a player next year too, My source is the theory of relativity.

Honestly thats some non statement you're making

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Playon wrote:You're forgetting JOM, apparently were still interested. He is supposed to returning at the end of this month, depending of course.

Everyone will have eyes on him to see how and IF he returns.
As I mentioned in an earlier post this season, Jaeger O'Meara is returning to Victoria at the end of the season, you can mark that down, but we are one of about six Victorian clubs interested in him.

Playon
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Playon wrote:You're forgetting JOM, apparently were still interested. He is supposed to returning at the end of this month, depending of course.

Everyone will have eyes on him to see how and IF he returns.
As I mentioned in an earlier post this season, Jaeger O'Meara is returning to Victoria at the end of the season, you can mark that down, but we are one of about six Victorian clubs interested in him.
Yes agreed but we are supposed to be the front runner

The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stevie wrote:Gaff has been the Eagles second best player this year after Kennedy.
If we could get Gaff for pick 8 I would do it in a heartbeat. He is only 24. The knock on him is he doesnt tackle. But he still obviously easily worth pick 8.

Back to the OP and the kpp. I still think Essendon would love Patton to help out Daniher. They already have Hooker, Brown, Gleeson and Hartley down back. They can probably afford to lose Hurley and cover for him. But they are desperate for another tall fwd. Patton would be perfect for them.

GWS also need a back-up ruckman and might be interested in Longer.

Would we take Hurley and GWS 2nd round pick (about pick 33) in exchange for pick 8 plus Longer.....?

(Maybe we can even get Essendon's 2nd round pick (pick 19) if we are lucky - which is a lot better than pick 33.)

Don't think we should trade our first rounder AND Longer.
A club in need for a ruckman would trade a first rounder for Longer. He was pick 8? in his draft year, was our number 1 last year. Shoulder injury/Hickey development has held him out this year.

Trading a potential A grade ruckman and a first pick seems silly to me.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:

This was the criteria why ended up giving up our pick 5 in the Carlisle deal wasn't it? Because we couldn't get Parish with pick 5 and there was a big drop off good kicking good sized mids we were better off with Carlisle and Gresham for our first two rounders.

You've got to be careful not to get too cute at the draft/trade table and over thinking it. Whatever happened to "best available"? Imagine this guy at 191cm running ball out of the back for the next 15 years

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

lintonstreet wrote:

No need to get petty.

Source genuine. For the record I never mentioned a player just the key position.
IMHO, it could be either FB or CHB.

We got Luke Delaney from North, and I think (could be wrong) he finished high up in the Trevor Barker voting once- top 6?
But has dropped out of contention.
And with Chips having a ? due to age, etc, backline needs a hard man.
Hughie is too young and won't come good till 23-24 years of age.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Playon
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:

No need to get petty.

IMHO, it could be either FB or CHB.

We got Luke Delaney from North, and I think (could be wrong) he finished high up in the Trevor Barker voting once- top 6?
But has dropped out of contention.
And with Chips having a ? due to age, etc, backline needs a hard man.
Hughie is too young and won't come good till 23-24 years of age.
Well Delaney has been convinced that he's not up to scratch, and if we got someone like hurley, that would be pretty much be the end of Goddard, Why would we need him?
Last edited by Playon on Sun 19 Jun 2016 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

lintonstreet
Club Player

OK happy to end the speculation here - Big Bodied Midfielder

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Originally went for pick 4
Won the clubs B&F 2015
AA 2015
"As of the end of Round 18, 2015, Gaff was having a career best year. He is ranked equal fifth in the AFL Coaches Association voting, and averages 29.9 touches a game, including a remarkable run of five straight games where he collected more than 30 disposals."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gaff

West coast might want more than were willing to offer
Ah, yes; but remember, we traded for unders for Cripps to West Coast because he wanted to go home and the Eagles agreed in principal to reciprocating in the future. Time to call that favour in Godfather.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Petracca? :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Ollie?
Last edited by 8856brother on Sun 19 Jun 2016 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint wrote:
Playon wrote:Originally went for pick 4
Won the clubs B&F 2015
AA 2015
"As of the end of Round 18, 2015, Gaff was having a career best year. He is ranked equal fifth in the AFL Coaches Association voting, and averages 29.9 touches a game, including a remarkable run of five straight games where he collected more than 30 disposals."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gaff

West coast might want more than were willing to offer
Ah, yes; but remember, we traded for unders for Cripps to West Coast because he wanted to go home and the Eagles agreed in principal to reciprocating in the future. Time to call that favour in Godfather.
I'm all for him coming to the club, my concern is that if we are to challenge in the next few years is that we only have a few first rounders to either use or trade. So we need to make sure that they are the exact players we need and if not we need to more effort into those that are. We have the soldiers in our midfielders we need to find the cream

stonecold
SS Life Member

lintonstreet wrote:OK happy to end the speculation here - Big Bodied Midfielder
Stewie Dew or Dean Rioli?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:OK happy to end the speculation here - Big Bodied Midfielder
Midfielder is not key position LS. Key position is FF, CHF, CHB or FB. Seeing as you confused us with your terminology, can you tell us if they are from a Victorian or Non-vic team?