Tom Lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Lee

Impatient Sainter wrote:Looked like he was playing injured - trying to save his career. Roberton & Gilbert were no better.

You are joking arent you. They were so much better, they werentl even on the same planet
Having said that they werent greatl. Just goes to show how poor Lee was.
My heart sank when Lee was selected.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:Looked like he was playing injured - trying to save his career. Roberton & Gilbert were no better.

You are joking arent you. They were so much better, they werentl even on the same planet
Having said that they werent greatl. Just goes to show how poor Lee was.
My heart sank when Lee was selected.

What a wonderful thing to say about a player that pulls on our jumper

gone fission
Club Player

saynta wrote:My heart sank when Lee was selected.
This is just a putrid attitude towards one of our players.

He may well not make it, but this loss certainly wasn't his fault.

So poor to bag a player like Lee after this pathetic effort from the club.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

gone fission wrote:

Despite the way saynta worded it, Lee is a list clogger.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

gone fission wrote:

Yep it was a pathetic effort by a lot of players.

Lee was simply the worst.

I am at a loss to explain his selection after his poor performance against the blues.

Hopefully i have seen the last of him in the firsts.

He is a good VFL footballer, but that is his limit.

You wont get an apology from me for holding such views.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
gone fission wrote:

Despite the way saynta worded it, Lee is a list clogger.
That is now plain for every one to see.

Sad but true.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Every time a Saints player is picked... Even ones I don't personally rate, I hope they do well and I hope they prove me wrong.

My heart doesn't "sink" when someone gets given a chance.
I have nothing against criticising a bad performance, but I support my team.

That is just vicious

wally
Club Player

So who would be selected in his place to play on a 200cm forward?
I was there at ground level all of our backline were undersized

saynta
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:So who would be selected in his place to play on a 200cm forward?

I would have played Pierce.

He would have given Hickey a chop out in the ruck and also it would have allowed one of the ruckmen to drop back and help the defenders.

At least Pierce has potential at AFL level. Lee doesn't.

Not his fault he is not up to it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
wally wrote:So who would be selected in his place to play on a 200cm forward?

I would have played Pierce.

He would have given Hickey a chop out in the ruck and also it would have allowed one of the ruckmen to drop back and help the defenders.

At least Pierce has potential at AFL level. Lee doesn't.

Not his fault he is not up to it.
Obviously the coaches think he at least has potential as he's gotten 4 games this year and previously had a contract extension.

Whichever way you try to dress it down now, to actually groan when a player is selected suggests that you hope they don't get the chance to prove themselves... A contrasting view to the club that at least gives him a shot when his form warrants it

Personally I think that is a terrible attitude from a so called supporter

To the top
SS Life Member

So someone suggests that we should have selected Pierce to assist our defence, which, as someone noted was out-sized and out-sized significantly.

That reminds me of the Thomas selection to include Brooks v Port Adelaide because Port Adelaide had a number of tall forward options - and asked Brooks to play as a defender where he had no experience.

That was a disaster both for the Club and the player.

We went out and recruited Carlisle for a reason - and drafted Goddard for a reason.

What references to our back-line being under pressure confirms is the importance Fisher is to this side and what (at 191cm) he brings to the table.

You have to get your match ups correct and absent Fisher, Dempster, Carlisle and Goddard that was always going to be a problem.

So we had Delaney and Lee carrying the load.

As I commented earlier, the question is can Lee hold a position in this side in the longer term (2018 onward and post Fisher because I would hope Fisher goes on in 2017) COMPLIMENTING Carlisle and Goddard?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think we all now know that Tom Lee wont be at the club next year - just another player to make not it in the Saints litany of failures.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:Lee is a nice bloke who has tried hard and it's not his fault that our recruiters at the time were either blinded or under the influence of something to swap such a high draft pick for him. A very poor choice. There were never any quality highlights of him remotely justifying his worth.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6490784785

So we get picks 24 and 43 in return for losing pick 12 for Pammy.

I had forgotten or wasn't aware the Crows drafted him in 2008!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Was not our worst and think he has a future at the club. I would take him over Delaney every day of the week

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lee easily has enough raw talent. I dont know him personally and I may well be wrong but my opinion has always been that judging by his body shape - this is a bloke who doesnt take his physical training seriously enough. He has been in the AFL system for 5 years + and his body shape hasnt changed. This makes me suspicious.
I suspect he has a comfortable middle class life in Perth and is happy to play WAFL and be a local gun player rather than power up to AFL standard.

When he gets to 40 he will say to his mates - gee I wish I had trained harder when I had the chance. Or maybe he just wont give a sh*t.

To the top
SS Life Member

"his body shape has not changed"

!!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lee is just not big enough to play KPP

Not agile enough to play as a medium

He, unless he gets a perfect match up is not effective. Is a very good State League player with no scope.

194cm (query that) and 91kg
how does that even get considered against 203cm and 100kg (Wright) 199cm 98kg (Lynch) 197cm 96kg (Day)????

He is a similar size to Roberton, Gilbert, Dempster without their ability to play smaller

shrodes
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:194cm (query that) and 91kg
how does that even get considered against 203cm and 100kg (Wright) 199cm 98kg (Lynch) 197cm 96kg (Day)????

He is a similar size to Roberton, Gilbert, Dempster without their ability to play smaller
To be fair to the selectors, who else was there to pick? Bruce at 197cm and 97kg is really the only other player we could have swung down back at cost of having basically no forward options.

And if you say Coughlan at 195 / 83, he hasn't played an AFL game and would surely be out of depth weight wise?

saintbob
SS Life Member

shrodes wrote:
BigMart wrote:194cm (query that) and 91kg

To be fair to the selectors, who else was there to pick? Bruce at 197cm and 97kg is really the only other player we could have swung down back at cost of having basically no forward options.

And if you say Coughlan at 195 / 83, he hasn't played an AFL game and would surely be out of depth weight wise?

I'd rather put time and effort into Coughlan, than DudLee who lays down after every contest like he has broken something!!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

As for someone suggesting Lee doesn't train hard enough, he would already have been delisted if that were the case. Since drafted with us he's had two shoulder reconstructions and an ankle reconstruction. He's now carrying a knee issue as well. Some guys just never get a clear run at it. We expect theses players to be superhuman and not get affected by injuries. Some players are just beasts who have the strength and constitution to bounce back quickly. It's not just a mental thing. Do you reckon Lee wanted all these injuries? he just wants to play AFL like everyone else. People are judging him harshly because the the draft selection we used on him. Not his fault. Remember, Adelaide selected him at, what, pick 58? That was probably his true value. Watters and Pelchen were responsible for our selection of Lee at the price we paid for him.

Give Tom Lee a break...he sure deserves one.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I was a supporter of playing Lee in the ones but - no longer!

He is too short for a kpp, two slow anywhere on the ground, can't kick as good as his reputation seems to think he can, falls over too much, too injury prone. Delist at end of season and no more senior games, thanks!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
loris
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:As for someone suggesting Lee doesn't train hard enough, he would already have been delisted if that were the case. Since drafted with us he's had two shoulder reconstructions and an ankle reconstruction. He's now carrying a knee issue as well. Some guys just never get a clear run at it. We expect theses players to be superhuman and not get affected by injuries. Some players are just beasts who have the strength and constitution to bounce back quickly. It's not just a mental thing. Do you reckon Lee wanted all these injuries? he just wants to play AFL like everyone else. People are judging him harshly because the the draft selection we used on him. Not his fault. Remember, Adelaide selected him at, what, pick 58? That was probably his true value. Watters and Pelchen were responsible for our selection of Lee at the price we paid for him.

Give Tom Lee a break...he sure deserves one.
+1

Tho' I cant support your last sentence 'cwrcyn'. - please no more breaks for Lee, think his body has been punished enough :wink: :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:So someone suggests that we should have selected Pierce to assist our defence, which, as someone noted was out-sized and out-sized significantly.

That reminds me of the Thomas selection to include Brooks v Port Adelaide because Port Adelaide had a number of tall forward options - and asked Brooks to play as a defender where he had no experience.

That was a disaster both for the Club and the player.

We went out and recruited Carlisle for a reason - and drafted Goddard for a reason.

What references to our back-line being under pressure confirms is the importance Fisher is to this side and what (at 191cm) he brings to the table.

You have to get your match ups correct and absent Fisher, Dempster, Carlisle and Goddard that was always going to be a problem.

So we had Delaney and Lee carrying the load.

As I commented earlier, the question is can Lee hold a position in this side in the longer term (2018 onward and post Fisher because I would hope Fisher goes on in 2017) COMPLIMENTING Carlisle and Goddard?
Not what i said at all.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Tom_Sainter wrote:Was not our worst and think he has a future at the club. I would take him over Delaney every day of the week
Who was worse?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I was a supporter of playing Lee in the ones but - no longer!

He is too short for a kpp, two slow anywhere on the ground, can't kick as good as his reputation seems to think he can, falls over too much, too injury prone. Delist at end of season and no more senior games, thanks!

plus one.