Hogan elbow on Gears

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hogan elbow on Gears

supersaints wrote:
loris wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:
SainterK wrote:Hate elbows thrown
Lucky you weren't around in the Carl Ditterich era SainterK........... he was all elbows, that connected regularly to head & throats of opposition players.
And everyone of them was an accident, Loris. Just a case of bad luck..........repeatedly.
He had an ungainly running action. Elbows wide for balance!
Yes the ungainly running action, as a young child he wore caliphers on his legs for a few years, I remember reading. Think it was when he was around 10-12 years of age. Can't recall the actual reason why, may have had something to do with what was called 'knock knees' in them there distant years.
Had polio as a child,grew up with calipers, hence his huge chest , I remember it measured around 60 inches ( sorry about the imperial meas).
He was something different I clearly remember his fist game he basically sat on his apponents shoulder getting the tap out and apparently said " move over grandad" to whoever it was (Melbourne player?). There is a photo somewhere in the archives of that tap out.. Huge man frightening apponent, he was a junior school teacher I believe Must have frightened hell out of the kids..
I can remember that match clearly too. I can remember he 'baulked' around Ron Barassi, showing him the ball on his outstretched hand as he did it.
Also he took a towering mark over the top of Brian Dixon, and cheekily shoved the ball in the direction of Dixon's face.

Never seen such a young player, play such a dominating first game - we all soon realised he was something unique.

PS. Imperial measures suit me fine........... it's an age thingy you know :wink: :!:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
supersaints wrote:
loris wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:
SainterK wrote:Hate elbows thrown
Lucky you weren't around in the Carl Ditterich era SainterK........... he was all elbows, that connected regularly to head & throats of opposition players.
And everyone of them was an accident, Loris. Just a case of bad luck..........repeatedly.
He had an ungainly running action. Elbows wide for balance!
Yes the ungainly running action, as a young child he wore caliphers on his legs for a few years, I remember reading. Think it was when he was around 10-12 years of age. Can't recall the actual reason why, may have had something to do with what was called 'knock knees' in them there distant years.
Had polio as a child,grew up with calipers, hence his huge chest , I remember it measured around 60 inches ( sorry about the imperial meas).
He was something different I clearly remember his fist game he basically sat on his apponents shoulder getting the tap out and apparently said " move over grandad" to whoever it was (Melbourne player?). There is a photo somewhere in the archives of that tap out.. Huge man frightening apponent, he was a junior school teacher I believe Must have frightened hell out of the kids..
I can remember that match clearly too. I can remember he 'baulked' around Ron Barassi, showing him the ball on his outstretched hand as he did it.
Also he took a towering mark over the top of Brian Dixon, and cheekily shoved the ball in the direction of Dixon's face.

Never seen such a young player, play such a dominating first game - we all soon realised he was something unique.

PS. Imperial measures suit me fine........... it's an age thingy you know :wink: :!:
Carl patted Barrassi on the head.

I was there, saw it myself. Can still see it in my mind. It was just to the left of where I was sitting in the grandstand, near the boundary line.

When I mentioned it to Barrassi a couple of years ago, he denied it ever happened, but he does have a touch of dementia, I believe.

Superboot
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
stonecold wrote:$1000 fine is a fair result!!!!!
Maybe in the Ditterich era. But I'm with Sainter K. Don't like elbows.

The thing about the Hogan elbow is that it can't be anything other than intentional to have thrown the elbow (he looked over his shoulder as he did it), and he had to know it would hit Gears high. Hogan's just bloody lucky Gears didn't end up looking like Hayden Ballantyne.

Grading that as careless is just a gift from the MRP to avoid suspending him.

I just can't see how it's any different to the "tummy tap"; if we're rubbing people out for those now, why not this?

I accept that this has traditionally been part of the game. But if we're protecting heads, should it be?
No force in it what so ever, if he was a saints player, how would you feel??????

About as much force as a'bump from The_President'!!!!!
Steve Baker would have got 8 weeks

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: Ahhhhhhh the eternal search for logic and reason within the ranks of the umpiring and MRP! Keeps me active I guess! :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
avid
Club Player

It's a beautiful photo you are talking about, supersaints.
I think it may have been Graham Wise whose shoulder he's sitting on.
Can some one find it?
What was the original point of this thread?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Carl had to deal with a very disturbing issue that was outside his football.
His # came up in that dreadful conscription lottery and he was called up for National Service.
Carl applied to be exempted from National Service at the time for compassionate reasons. One of his parents was in poor health and the other parent was legally blind. Think that was how it went. His case was played out in the media, unlike many other lads seeking exemption for compassionate reasons whose lives weren't opened up for public discussion.

Carl wasn't exempted from National Service, but he was exempted from being sent overseas. Can't recall if he served out the full 2 years or not. I have a vague feeling one of his parent's health deteriorated an he was excused from serving the full time.

Police were called in by the St Kilda FC during that time as white feathers were being continually sent to Carl via the Club.

Some people are so sick.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:It's a beautiful photo you are talking about, supersaints.
I think it may have been Graham Wise whose shoulder he's sitting on.
Can some one find it?
What was the original point of this thread?
It was originally about throwing an elbow, which meant it was inevitable that Carl would get a mention somewhere. Like Dipper, he was an "elbowologist". Carl was my hero growing up as a young saints' fan. Devastated when he went to the silver tails under the stupid 10 year rule. All was forgiven when he came back. Great player with a big personality. Does anyone know how his court battle over his land ended up?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!