that was infuriating!!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: that was infuriating!!!!!!

George27 wrote:If any of you were sitting behind the Saints goals and saw a (late ) middle-aged man in an aisle seat stand up on three separate occasions and fling his Saints members hat to the ground in frustration at the umpiring decisions - well , that was me . I honestly do not understand what is going on with the umpiring towards Josh Bruce. The poor lad must be so frustrated himself.

Having said that, we butchered so many chances. Deflating for the team to throw away opportunities to put pressure on the scoreboard .
I saw that guy. Aisle 48, row N, seat 43?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:If any of you were sitting behind the Saints goals and saw a (late ) middle-aged man in an aisle seat stand up on three separate occasions and fling his Saints members hat to the ground in frustration at the umpiring decisions - well , that was me . I honestly do not understand what is going on with the umpiring towards Josh Bruce. The poor lad must be so frustrated himself.

Having said that, we butchered so many chances. Deflating for the team to throw away opportunities to put pressure on the scoreboard .
You weren't the guy the commentators called Santa Claus by any chance?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

We actually did more than enough to win that game. But when you kick for goal like that, effort is wasted & you cannot win.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:He's a third year who's played 50 odd games, managed a shoulder reco and is still tough enough to stick it out in the middle under huge pressure from way bigger more experienced bodies.

I get that he's not got the finish at the moment but last year people were calling for Seb's head (too slow, doesn't get enough of the ball). I don't agree that you get a guaranteed game no matter what, but he is doing enough in my book to get picked. Another pre-season and I think we will see him lift.

So no, he doesn't get any votes tonight, but I'm not going to pot him.

This.

To the top
SS Life Member

Leaving out the "umpiring", which was biased again raising questions as to the integrity of the AFL "competition" (Riewoldt being shoved out of a marking contest when the ball was 30 metres away, "tripping" over the arm of a player who had his hands on the pill and the list goes on and on and on including re Bruce - pathetic), we were clearly under pressure when Hickey was on the bench.

They had an open run at clearances during those periods of the game putting the ball to their side setting up spread and run.

Plus all the missed set shots (and Billings not making 50 with set shots) handing the pill back to them for quick rebounds which punished us.

We know we have McCartin and Carlisle to come in (and Fisher?) plus there are Goddard and Freeman to get fitness and match conditioning into.

So, whilst we look forward, NM are just filling a position with their geriatrics and are looking like the next Fremantle.

Perhaps that is why the AFL are attempting to get money into their coffers this season so they will not have to prop them up financially as quickly when they very, very quickly drop away and play before a phone box of supporters including at their Tasmanian "home" games (and they will be relocated to Tasmania by AFL directive, have no doubt).

saint-stu
Club Player

When kicking inside 50, we seemed looking for the 3 roos defenders rather than the 1 saint in there. Never looked to give our forwards any advantage. Most of our set shots in the first half were difficult.. either outside 50 or on wide angles. Good defending by the roos I guess.

I never complain about umpires, but today was very poor.

Billings must have something wrong with his leg since the stress fractures. When he joined us as an 18 year old kid, he could slot them from ouside 50 on the boundary with confidence. Witnessed this many times for Sandringham.

1ac46a38
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:When kicking inside 50, we seemed looking for the 3 roos defenders rather than the 1 saint in there. Never looked to give our forwards any advantage. Most of our set shots in the first half were difficult.. either outside 50 or on wide angles. Good defending by the roos I guess.

I never complain about umpires, but today was very poor.

Billings must have something wrong with his leg since the stress fractures. When he joined us as an 18 year old kid, he could slot them from ouside 50 on the boundary with confidence. Witnessed this many times for Sandringham.
yes clearly issues there, distance had not been an factor from 50M (nor had accuracy)...at least he had a dip at it last night, won a few hard balls and contests

Nee!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I am really pissed of about that game more so than most of our losses this year..the umpiring ? The arrogance and insult of giving Harvey the ball to kick that goal ? The fact that we were a chance for the finals ? can't quite put my finger on it but I am really mad about that game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes it was.... Annoying

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BigMart wrote:Yes it was.... Annoying
Do u actually go to games, or do you just read the match report later?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

You know what? I was unhappy both with the final result, and the umpiring, BUT this St Kilda side has something that North lacks..........POTENTIAL! It was always going to be a severe test for our kids, I had NO illusions about that coming into the game. But for goodness sake, take a deep breath, and just look at the prospects for BOTH clubs going forward. North: an aging list of players that won its first nine games against "softer" opponents, but who were found lacking in ticker and mental strength when confronted by opponents of a similar ladder status. WHICH of the two sides last night have lost FIVE straight games during 2016? On the strength of their "performance" last night, does ANYONE give North a shot of lasting any more than four quarters of finals? Sour grapes on my part? some may think so, and its true that I totally despise this club and its culture, however, I believe that OUR supporters leaving the Dome we call home last night, have WAY more reasons to feel optimistic about the coming seasons than those who follow North.
By contrast, our kids, will have learned WAY more about themselves and how to deal with a big occasion than those with North. last night we saw the FUTURE. I'm excited! Go Saints! (to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Jigger jigger has it right.
Norf will get belted in the first final as Petrie is injured and ancient, Brown is s*** and the rest are not good enough.
Unless umps help them, they'll crumble.
They're in denial and think they're better than they are.
We know we need to find classy players and are on the up.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you reckon I go to games... Absolutely ... Especially now I've retired from playing

And watch them later on the tv where you get another, closer perspective

And I go to the VFL

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GREAT! :|

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

unpleasing

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just showed me that our midfield has a long way to go, and we also lack a strong fast run and spread midfielder, as once Jack Steven's influence is kept in check, the rest of the midfield looks slow and average. The stats pretty much showed we didn't get enough of the ball and I don't care about umpires, as if you're good enough, you win.
I would have thought that with this being such a big game for us too, that AR would have got the boys little more fired up, so a bit disappointed there.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thats footy! Jack Steven is not always going to be given an opportunity by our opponents to be best on ground. Its a work in progress, and it IS progressing!

George27
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:

You weren't the guy the commentators called Santa Claus by any chance?

No I am not that old or round. I was however that red in the face.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Just showed me that our midfield has a long way to go, and we also lack a strong fast run and spread midfielder, as once Jack Steven's influence is kept in check, the rest of the midfield looks slow and average. The stats pretty much showed we didn't get enough of the ball and I don't care about umpires, as if you're good enough, you win.
I would have thought that with this being such a big game for us too, that AR would have got the boys little more fired up, so a bit disappointed there.
Exactly Spert and the other issue is Richo has simply not developed enough players to go through there. He moved Weller and Gresham in there late in the game but it was done by then. Clarko would have made a moved someone in 1st quarter when we were getting slaughtered by there clearances. At least applied a lock down on Cunnington who was too good for Ross and Dunstan. I have mentioned this before but this is a 'real flaw' in Richo's coaching philosophies IMO.

Throughout the year you can garuntee Clarko would have given real midfield time to Newnes, Acres, Weller, Minchington, Billings, Gresham and even Membrey. They cant affect clearances or our lack of spread when they are stuck in a forward pocket or wing for 95% of the game.

Richo is a good coach but he has a long way to go in working some flexibility into his game day thinking!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter, so Clarko "got it right" from the get go at Hawthorn did he? :roll:

carn_sainter
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:
spert wrote:Just showed me that our midfield has a long way to go, and we also lack a strong fast run and spread midfielder, as once Jack Steven's influence is kept in check, the rest of the midfield looks slow and average. The stats pretty much showed we didn't get enough of the ball and I don't care about umpires, as if you're good enough, you win.
Exactly Spert and the other issue is Richo has simply not developed enough players to go through there. He moved Weller and Gresham in there late in the game but it was done by then. Clarko would have made a moved someone in 1st quarter when we were getting slaughtered by there clearances. At least applied a lock down on Cunnington who was too good for Ross and Dunstan. I have mentioned this before but this is a 'real flaw' in Richo's coaching philosophies IMO.

Throughout the year you can garuntee Clarko would have given real midfield time to Newnes, Acres, Weller, Minchington, Billings, Gresham and even Membrey. They cant affect clearances or our lack of spread when they are stuck in a forward pocket or wing for 95% of the game.

Richo is a good coach but he has a long way to go in working some flexibility into his game day thinking!
Richo is definitely aware of this and working on it. He said on the friday night before the bulldogs game that a huge focus in pre-season was developing every player on the list's 'secondary position' or skill...whether that be a midfielder learning to play forward or a forward giving a chop-out in the middle.

I posted elsewhere that I think we actually look pretty well stocked for guys that can go into a centre bounce and be competent stoppage players in there. Next year I'd be confident seeing any combination of Steven, Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Newnes, Armitage, Gresham, Minchington, Sinclair, Weller with fingers crossed for guys like Freeman, Wright & Billings too.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Thats footy! Jack Steven is not always going to be given an opportunity by our opponents to be best on ground. Its a work in progress, and it IS progressing!
Bluescum gave Jack a lot of room last time so he will shine again.
Can't see him having another low numbers