Newnes....what is his role exactly?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Newnes....what is his role exactly?

Newnes is a distributor. His job is to get it and kick it long into the forward line

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Running back flanker. Outstanding one on one, and is an elite kick. Can score goals, gets his hands on it, tackles, and shows on field leadership. One of my favourite players. Aggressive too. Watch the set play from center clearances when we get it first he often outside receives down the right side of the square at speed. He can kick the ball with great accuracy at full speed similar to Savage and Webster.

Future barometer.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Played on Ziebell & cut him out of the game.

A very good player and a big chance to be the next skipper.
Agree. Not his best game but one of our best players consistently.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Just my view but I see Newnes eventually becoming Geary's replacement in the team, but a better skilled version.
Has already played 87 games along side Geary.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I think he's a perfect example of our chronic lack of talent.

87 games!!

He's Ok. At best, he's handy. At worst, he'd not get a game anywhere other than Brisbane.

But for us, due to his effort he's one of the first picked every week.

We have quite a few young guys who have a dip. Not heaps, but a few. And now that they're approaching that 50-100 milestone, they're able to maintain that effort for longer. Which is why we're winning more games.

But of those guys, none are highly skilled. None are even really well skilled!

We can't rely on our solid structure and system to get us to the top. We need the same solid structure and system, but we need players who give 100% for 4 quarters AND are highly skilled also.

Roo and Jack are the only 2.

Sam Fisher is close.

The rest are battlers.
This post is some of the worst drivel I have ever read. Simply no idea about football and what skill sets are needed to make up a football team. Utter garbage.
Hahaha.

You don't think skill and intensity are required skill sets to make up a football team??

Fair dinkum.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Just my view but I see Newnes eventually becoming Geary's replacement in the team, but a better skilled version.
Has already played 87 games along side Geary.
Yes but I can see him eventually taking over Geary's leadership role and his 'stewardship' of the backline. Can also see him as the future 'small defender' that Geary has performed so well this year.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

IMHO, Newnes has been a shining light in a very tough period. Came straight into the side as a youngster and has stayed there by playing good football consistently. He does everything well, gives his all and shows real leadership qualities. He is starting to come into his prime period, so I expect he still has some improvement in him. Given his track record, I'm sometimes puzzled by criticism of him on here.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

IMHO, Newnes has been a shining light in a very tough period. Came straight into the side as a youngster and has stayed there by playing good football consistently. He does everything well, gives his all and shows real leadership qualities. He is starting to come into his prime period, so I expect he still has some improvement in him. Given his track record, I'm sometimes puzzled by criticism of him on here.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Legendary
Club Player

His role is best on ground.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I find Newnesy a funny one. He seems to play a pretty unaccountable role running the channel from half back to half forward. But in that role where he has a lot of freedom, I think he' should be more creative and play making than he is.

Almost 24 played 87 games so he's coming into that stage of needing to be someone who can really impact games. Averaging 22 possies which is good but I don't know how many of those are really damaging. He's not playing a direct lock down role so needs to be more of a play maker for us. I just don't know if he has the vision and creativity to really use the footy in a penetrating way.

I get the feeling that even Newnes doesn't quite know what his role exactly is - he seems to be play somewhere between a midfielder, a half back and a winger. Robeton seemed to thrive once he had a more defined role that just being a 'floater'.

Maybe its time to play to his strength and see what he can do as an out and out midfielder. I think he finishes in the top 3 of the preseason endurance tests so lets use that big tank and let him chase the ball around. We need another midfielder who can get a stack of the ball and I think Newnesy has the fitness to run flat out for 4 quarters, something only Steven seems able to do at the moment.

He strikes me as someone who could become a goal scoring midfielder as he has an eye for goal when he pushes forward and we need our mids to start hitting the scoreboard.
I hope you got your answer

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:His role is best on ground.
+1. Superb today.

Always loyal
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
Legendary wrote:His role is best on ground.
+1. Superb today.
+2

Indeed. What a game! It seems the players who come under scrutiny on this forum respond by playing a great game.

I hope Jack Steven gets put under the microscope by Saintsational. Would love to see him rack up 40-odd possessions in a match winning performance next weekend.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I think his role is whatever h wants it to be.

Outstanding today and, along with Hickey, Skunk, Seb, Roberton and Co., the reason we have chalked up a lrgely unexpected 10 wins this year.

Geary's outstanding form over the past few weeks, I reckon, can be put down to the fact he has been a stay-at-home defender. Jack looks at home on a wing.

Saint supporter since '62
supersaints
Club Player

Superb today .... from what I saw on the screen was BOG.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!