Thoughts on Bruce as 2nd Ruck

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thoughts on Bruce as 2nd Ruck

CQ SAINT wrote:
To the top wrote:Walker, Boyd, Cameron, Lynch, Franklin, Patton, Hawkins, Kennedy, Hogan et al say Carlisle will not be rucking at any time.
We dont care what these guys say.

We are focused on a game plan which coordinates relentless commitment to team balance and individual accountability.

4 ruckmen in the squad.
1 ruckman playing most of year with 88% game time and smashing it.
Bruce covering approximately 12 minutes per game in the ruck.
Gilbert Roberton and Dempster regularly taking on KPF's and doing well.
198cm Carlisle coming in 2017.
196 Goddard waiting in the wings.
More Roberton/Dempster/Gilbert types developing at Sandy.
Interest in a few other KPD's
It doesnt take much sense to work out what's going on.

But no lets react to what other teams have in place.
Havent you had enough of doing that?
I hear it a lot that Richo and the match committee are overly conservative in their approach. That may be so in some cases, but there is a degree of left field thinking as well.

For instance we'd played Membrey, Bruce and McCartin in the same forward line several times for good result. Many would have said, too tall, doesn't bring enough forward pressure etc.

Carlisle as second ruck could be another example. I mean isn't the second ruck supposed to rest in the forward pocket? Not necessarily apparently.

I applaud this and also the fact that our game plan is far from conservative. You hear a lot about our defensive pressure (which is key, of course) but not so much about what we do when we have the ball.

A Carlton friend of mine remarked this week that we were way too quick for them. I'm not sure that it's leg speed. It's more the speed with which we move the ball and our willingness to take risks that is troubling a lot of opponents.

That's not conservative, it's daring.

Plaudits to the club as a whole. Good times ahead, though perhaps not Saturday night. We'll see.

To the top
SS Life Member

We have more Roberton/Gilbert/Dempster types developing at Sandringham?

Both the 29 year old Gilbert and Roberton are 194cm.

The 31 year old Dempster is 191cm.

So who are the 191/194cm developing running defenders at Sandringham who will periodically be relied on to pressure the power forwards from other Clubs, and particularly if Carlisle is relieving in the ruck?

To me, playing Carlisle in the ruck is as short sighted as playing Bruce in the ruck.

So, if with Carlisle in the ruck, we are monstored, the clearances are accordingly against us and our defence is under pressure with opportunities accruing for the opposition power forwards, what do we do then?

Carlisle was recruited (correctly) as the cornerstone of our DEFENCE.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:We have more Roberton/Gilbert/Dempster types developing at Sandringham?

Both the 29 year old Gilbert and Roberton are 194cm.

The 31 year old Dempster is 191cm.

So who are the 191/194cm developing running defenders at Sandringham who will periodically be relied on to pressure the power forwards from other Clubs, and particularly if Carlisle is relieving in the ruck?

To me, playing Carlisle in the ruck is as short sighted as playing Bruce in the ruck.

So, if with Carlisle in the ruck, we are monstored, the clearances are accordingly against us and our defence is under pressure with opportunities accruing for the opposition power forwards, what do we do then?

Carlisle was recruited (correctly) as the cornerstone of our DEFENCE.
I see your pont. Lets stop Hickey doing what he is doing and let Longer have 50 minutes a game and we will reduce Hickey to 50 or put him in the forward line and leave out Membrey McCartin or Bruce.

Or Lewis Pierce could sit on the bench and cover 20 minutes a game for a season so he or Holmes can develop. There's a brilliant idea.

I really see the depth of thought you have put into that.

Brandon White 190, Brenton Payne 193 and Joe Baker 193 Thomas are the players I refer to.

Have you heard of them?

Doctor Two
Club Player

haven't seen this mentioned here. Poor old Josh Bruce as a second ruck has been diabolical this year. His second ruck duties certainly haven't been helping him as a forward,

Two centre bounces yesterday - he stayed down, didn't jump, acted like an extra midfielder.

As a shock tactic this seemed to work, certainly better then his ruck work

hopefully we can find a way to play a spare ruckman next year

shrodes
SS Life Member

Doctor Two wrote:Two centre bounces yesterday - he stayed down, didn't jump, acted like an extra midfielder.

As a shock tactic this seemed to work, certainly better then his ruck work
It was a weird day for rucks, pretty sure I saw Martin do the same against Holmes on at least one occasion.

Doctor Two
Club Player

[quote="shrodes"
It was a weird day for rucks[/quote]

Agree, partly due to the fact that the umpires couldn't bounce the ball properly? Didn't seem to be going up very high

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think JB is doing second ruck duties as the coach has looked at who is the tallest mobile player we have and therefore that equates to second ruck- not for me though. JB has no idea as a ruck.

To the top
SS Life Member

Well, we saw White yesterday and he is an attacking defensive flanker - not a 190cm defender capable of matching forwards with size.

Even with Fisher our defence was caught out for size on occasions yesterday.

As for Payne and Baker-Thomas!!!!!

And yesterday we again saw Bruce rucking prompting the comments on here - simply, centre clearances and stoppage clearances are vital to spread and F50 entry.

Where we are fortunate is that Hickey is able to contribute whilst Longer brings his old fashioned crash and bash presence to the ruck contests.

From there it is down to rotations.

And Longer continuing to develop.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bruce is a fine back up ruckman

AR really likes his ability to compete when the ball hits the deck at stoppage. Bruce has a big leap and is as good as most other back up ruckmen

Except
Stanley, McEvoy, Daw... Who all play as a Second tall forward. Longer cannot do that, nor could Pierce.