POLL: Do you support the PRIDE game concept?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Do you support the PRIDE game concept?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 114

citywest

Re: POLL: Do you support the PRIDE game concept?

I couldn't care less about the cause but if it bumps the crowd up all good.

the dome
Club Player

PRIDE GAME SUPPORTS INCLUSIVENESS - SECONDED !

Impressive initiative by the club and players. Josh spoke well and the story on the Winmars was fantastic. I'm very pleased for Nicky and son Tynan bringing their relationship into very positive territory. Of coarse after all the years of joy that Nicky Winmar brought to our club I'm really pleased to hear of things going so well for the Winmar family. Enjoyed seeing Nicky with Gilly together again Thursday night on the Marngarook Footy Show (Channel 34 NITV).
Seeing Nicky always reminds me of many wonderful memories.
Very Glad to have been @ Victoria Park the day Nicky raised his jumper and said enough is enough.
Nicky Winmar you legend! Great to see you back in Melbourne. :D

the dome
Club Player

the PRIDE game

P A D D Y !!!

Good Kick.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

geary a big loss. mckenzie gets a chance to shine.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like the fact that we're actually in on the ground level of a good initiative regarding a really important social issue

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
White Winmar wrote:We've had a few high profile gay supporters. Molly Meldrum, Graham Kennedy, Peter Hitchener and Tracey Grimshaw amongst them. Synergy is what the marketers call it, I believe.
is Peter Hitchener gay?
Grimshaw being touted as gay, is that just because Gordon Ramsay called her a lezzo?
Peter Hitchener came out a couple of years ago to Neil Mitchell on 3aw. It is well known in the industry that Grimshaw is gay. Always coy about it when asked. Has neither confirmed, nor denied it publicly, but it is an open secret around the traps. I believe it's why Ramsay called her a big fat lezza. He was trying to crack a joke that fell flat. Grave offence was taken apparently. Channel 9 publicity machine went into overdrive to protect her "image". Needn't have bothered. Everyone knew, nobody really cared. Ramsay just confirmed what a tool he really is.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

tonyh wrote:Keep politics and issues like this out of footy. We just want some good old fashioned footy...

Oh yeah cos the good old days of casual racism, homophobia and a culture of covering up for pedophiles was so good! I mean the 70s and 80s were great!
I mean who cares if poofters kill themselves and old white male priests abused kids right? Arghh the good old days!

ace
Saintsational Legend

I missed the AFL's how to vote card at the federal election.

Did they preference Labor or the Greens first ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sport has been at the forefront of leading political issues and uniting people against injustices and prejudice such as the sporting boycott of South Africa during the apartheid era and even the black power salute at the 1968 Olympics. Sport can be used in a positive way and the only people that I believe are against sport being used are the ones who are happy with the status quo.

I mean seriously...how many people would vote against the MRV game or the Pink lady BCNA game?

How many people are against improving the lives of people who are more prone to depression or suicide?

Why is it that we need to wait for government or political leaders or 'someone else' to lead on important issues?

If you want to be cynical and just look at this gesture from a purely corporate point of view it is a positive for the club. If you want to try and find a negative in terms of interefering with the team or the focus of the players from winning a game of footy there also is none. So how is it that there is a proportion of sheeple that vote 'no'. I have an opinion on this....

Why do we need to listen to a 71 year old grumpy negative turd who complains and tells us what we should be thinking? Why can't people think for themselves instead of being sheep ffs?

avid
Club Player

I support it on all levels.
On principle -- right down to does it bring money into the club.
I feel super-proud of the club for pursuing the concept.
Just took a little vision and courage, and it's worked on every level.

Talked with two G+L? Collingwood supporters on the tram all the way home to St Kilda -- they turned up to the game just to support the concept -- and because they love footy.
There's more footy-love going on around the whole thing than anyone could have imagined.

The only misstep the club made is not ordering enough scarves and beanies -- they ran out by 7.00pm. People were running between merchandise stores trying to get the last ones. Could have sold thousands more.

Well done Saints.
(And Sydney too -- the obvious partner stepped up)
Last edited by avid on Mon 15 Aug 2016 1:12am, edited 1 time in total.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I'll tell you why I support it so much and why it matters.

The man in front of me in the merchandise queue inside gate 5 got the last pride scarf. He wanted another one for his mate who wasn't there, but there were none to be found. Last one.

He turned around, put it on and with tears - seriously, tears - pointed at the rainbow stripes, kissed the scarf and said "thank you".

Footy means so much to all of us on this site.

Imagine how much it might mean if you finally feel welcome.

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:I'll tell you why I support it so much and why it matters.

The man in front of me in the merchandise queue inside gate 5 got the last pride scarf. He wanted another one for his mate who wasn't there, but there were none to be found. Last one.

He turned around, put it on and with tears - seriously, tears - pointed at the rainbow stripes, kissed the scarf and said "thank you".

Footy means so much to all of us on this site.

Imagine how much it might mean if you finally feel welcome.
Great story. Well done.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I missed the AFL's how to vote card at the federal election.

Did they preference Labor or the Greens first ?
I hadn't realised it was a party political thing?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I've had my say, I am sick of "theme" games.

We really missed a great opportunity to resurrect the Lake Premiership!

Saint supporter since '62
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

There was a really fun vibe at the ground last night. I missed most of the pregame thing but saw some of the lighting effects with the lights dimmed and they were really cool. They handed out glow in the dark things to give it a real rave feel and the kids were loving it. I think it was a success, we seemed to sell a lot of merch and probably got a few to the footy that wouldn't have gone before that hopefully we'll turn into members. I think its something that can really grow. Imagine a full house with lights dimmed, glow sticks everywhere, music pumping out - have a real fun nightclub feel. Someone should do a disco version of Saints go Marchin in.

The media coverage and boost to our rep our club got alone justifies it. Hope we go again next year. Only prob was numbers on the players were hard to read - lighter colours at the bottom of the numbers would help

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

29% voted it down. WTF!

A shame that there are so many dinosaurs still kicking.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
supersaints
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:29% voted it down. WTF!

Times have changed for the better....twenty years ago if you put on one of those scarves you would get the crap punched out of you

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Not fussed either way, live your life as you please, none of my business!

I'm willing to bet that a plebiscite will be voted down. Too many out there against. They say nothing in public, but a secret ballot is another matter. The Libs know this!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:29% voted it down. WTF!

By that do you mean still breathing?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Not fussed either way, live your life as you please, none of my business!

I'm willing to bet that a plebiscite will be voted down. Too many out there against. They say nothing in public, but a secret ballot is another matter. The Libs know this!

Fear of change and difference Bernard. Same dynamic that keeps the Union Jack on the corner of our flag and the Queen as head of state.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Not fussed either way, live your life as you please, none of my business!

Fear of change and difference Bernard. Same dynamic that keeps the Union Jack on the corner of our flag and the Queen as head of state.
Rubbish.

I don't like or trust politicians.

If you understand our constitution, you would know that having thequeen as our head of state isn't such a bad idea.

I would change the flag though if I could be sure that social enginering PC arsewipes wouldn't select something I couldn't live with.

People are entitled to their views and entiled to have a say, including the non pc, and even you and BS. :D

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Rubbish.

If you understand our constitution, you would know that having thequeen as our head of state isn't such a bad idea.

I would change the flag though if I could be sure that social enginering PC arsewipes wouldn't select something I couldn't live with.

People are entitled to their views and entiled to have a say, including the non pc, and even you and BS. :D
Don't reckon its rubbish. Australia is a very conservative place. Why on earth would you want the Queen of another country to be our head of state? It's history, in the past, nothing to do with Australia now. Sentiment as well. She's been the Queen for as long as I've been alive. Perhaps when she goes there will be a renewed push for a republic.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Rubbish.

If you understand our constitution, you would know that having the queen as our head of state isn't such a bad idea.

Don't reckon its rubbish. Australia is a very conservative place. Why on earth would you want the Queen of another country to be our head of state? It's history, in the past, nothing to do with Australia now. Sentiment as well. She's been the Queen for as long as I've been alive. Perhaps when she goes there will be a renewed push for a republic.
Because she or more properly, her representative is a very good check and balance on our system of government. The best system in the world.

Better because a corrupt government can and has been sacked by the GG and a corrupt GG can be sacked in turn by the queen.

What other country has such a check.

You can' t have what happened in Turkey, happen here.

Do yourself a favour and read it. The constitution I mean.

The last referendum failed because an informed public didn't trust the pollies who wanted the power to elect their own head of state.

A vote on a Republic will always fail if the public isn't given the option of electing their own head of state.

And so it should.

Nothing wrong with the conservative safe approach.

How many of the last 5 prime miministers did you trust to look after your best interests before that of their own and their party's.

My answer would be none. What's yours
Last edited by saynta on Mon 15 Aug 2016 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Out of those last 5 PM's you're being a bit technical by including Rudd twice.

Or am I wrong and are you saying that you didn't trust Honest Johnny? By the way honest johnny and the conservatives were in power last time there was a vote for a republic. If the ALP was in government it may have been a different result.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend