Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dempster

At a coterie function a couple of years ago, AR said that Tommy had all the attributes to be a good standard AFL footballer, except physical intensity. Hopefully, that has changed since and Tommy could still rescue his career.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

Just a couple of points to liven this up:-

1. I would not compare Fisher with Dempster contemporaneously, currently or into the future. Simply they are two different players, playing different positions with differing responsibilities and there is no comparison except they have both carved careers in defence. And Fisher is one of the best defenders to ever grace the field and, in 2016, remained central to the team. Such was his importance that, even with Carlisle coming in, Fisher remains required absent recruiting to cover the position he holds down at St Kilda.

2. "Tommy's improved and developed". "His whole pre season was about playing in defence". "given the age of some of our defenders and whilst not this year we need to make sure he's potentially ready to go next year and the year after when opportunity arises" "With that in mind ......" "have some luck with his body". "it's just about getting his body to the state where it can cope with the physicality of playing a key position" These are some of the Senior Coach's words (and, whilst of absolutely no currency, just happen to replicate my view of where Lee currently sits both from his perspective and from the Club's perspective).

To return to Fisher and Dempster, Dempster as a flank defender is the one under pressure from Webster (who needs to learn how to apply aggression and needs to learn not to lose his feet), McKenzie and White. None of these 3 are putting any pressure on Fisher. Our KPP defenders remain Carlisle, the untried and developing Goddard, the untried and developing Coghlan and Fisher (unless we push Bruce back and that is unlikely to happen).

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I think the Fisher vs Dempster contract contest is a no brainer
you will never get a kick if you are on the injured list

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
He's a far better player than Hugh Goddard, but not as big. Therefore his scope is limited.

That's a huge call BM.

One has a bright future. The other doesn't and is extremely lucky to be on a team's list.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'll be honest.

I've seen Hugh play at Sandy. Never been impressed with him bar 1 quarter he played at FF. Next 3 qtrs he struggled though when the opposition got their match up right.

Tom Lee dominates VFL every week

This suggests that ATM Tom is a better footballer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I'll be honest.

I've seen Hugh play at Sandy. Never been impressed with him bar 1 quarter he played at FF. Next 3 qtrs he struggled though when the opposition got their match up right.

Well, I will concede that Hugh is more potential than reality at the moment.

Lee is a good ordinary VFL player.

Big disappointment to me.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: on what planet is your people's information coming from - Certainly does not read that way from the above article and you certainly havent said anything here

Worried about surgery because he thought it might jeopordise his career chances in picking up a contract & rushed recovery
He wants to play on and have a shot at playing in finals
He is worried about his future now with new baby responsibility (Im reading financial)
does not sound like a guy that is ok with hanging up the boots
And for me he is far (faaaar) more "required" than fisher
Then why haven't they signed Demps up for another year yet? I would be surprised if he wants anymore than that. There has to be some doubt with him not being signed up yet - same as Fish. The club is seeing how trading pans out and they are quite publicly in the market for a key defender. Demps will be 33 early next year - is still playing some good footy but is a funny inbetweener - not really big enough for KP but not particularly attacking.

WE'll have Carlisle. I think the club will be keen to start pumping games into Goddard and the word is he will actually be back pretty soon in the season. I've heard the club has been impressed with Coughlan. They may not have given up on Lee and want to genuinely test him out this year in the seniors. Robeton has shown signs he can play as a genuine tall back particularly if he can start to bulk up a bit which might let them get White and Rice in the team - guys who can kick the footy well from the back which we are lacking.

The point is Demps is a not a lay down mizere for next year - and there is some logic to that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is the second most respected player at StK.

A leader

A player who gets it done week after week

Possibly the overall fittest (aerobic/anaerobic) bloke at StK

He'll be at StK in 2017

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
BigMart wrote:I'll be honest.

Well, I will concede that Hugh is more potential than reality at the moment.

Lee is a good ordinary VFL player.

Big disappointment to me.
In today's Westralian Newspaper there is an article saying that Tom Lee has re signed a further 2 years with the Saints.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dempster is the second most respected player at StK.

A leader

He'll be at StK in 2017
emphatic +1 from me.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Country Kid
Club Player

I doubt the club would have both Fisher and Dempster in the same 'boat'. It has been reported that the club is waiting to see what happens during trade week to determine Fishers future - rookie/listed/retired. They have not mentioned Dempster at all. With Dempster they may have waited until after the last game to see if he wanted to continue next season giving him a few weeks to think it over (also had the birth of his first child coming up). It would take a couple of weeks after that to negotiate and have contracts drawn up and it is only four weeks since the last game. I feel the club would want Dempster for 2017 and if he decides he can go another year we will see him signed in due course ie prior to trade week.

damienc
Club Player

DownAtTheJunction wrote:Dempster is an unsung Saint of the qualities we want in all players. He has had an outstanding career, and is fully deserving of being an automatic selection. Times can change quickly for older players but his physique appears as resilient as ever. He remains much required on so many levels. It is important that the club endorses those players who have demonstrated all that is St Kilda.
Well said.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lee looks like he is more 194 than 191 from what I have seen. And he is a beautiful kick, a reasonable mark, but that is about it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Lee looks like he is more 194 than 191 from what I have seen. And he is a beautiful kick, a reasonable mark, but that is about it.
He is listed as 194cm.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

desertsaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:Dempster is the second most respected player at StK.

A leader

He'll be at StK in 2017
emphatic +1 from me.
throw in "incredibly resilient" for a +2

Seeya