Etihad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Etihad

This.

Is.

Massive.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:You're officially an ITK now TOT - you've got the runs on the board now to give you some cred. Nice inside work.

Hopefully this is great news for Saints. Although I'm looking out for the AFL's "Well first we need to cover the sale price, then the revamp cost...." to put off improving the deals substantially. But you would think they would only buy early with improving those deals in mind

It also lets the AFL put their stamp on Etihad a lot more to give it some more footy soul. Tenant clubs might get to put their own stamp on the stadium a bit more. Could we get a permanent musuem/sales stand to sell goods and membership but also have Saints memrobilia you could visit, some permanent branding somewhere, more use of the electronic signs to do what we want, what about statues outside? Maybe Saints fans get access to Etihad events first - MMA, concerts etc - probably not but you can dream.

It does need revitalising and needs to link into docklands better. Heres hoping the AFL do it right.
Without being churlish, Bluthy, were you not around in 2013? On the general scale of these things, I'd personally rate providing the AFL Interim Report into E'dope, before it was released, higher than this little gem. And, don't forget the "Mex Hex".

Different source, that time - short bloke, doesn't drink much.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Top marks, TOT. You can always trust a tall man who drinks a lot. Except when that tall man who drinks a lot is me. You've been warned!
If I need to differentiate, WW, I can always use his a.k.a. - "The Big Dot".

Because he is tall, and not completely desert headed, one needs to be in an elevated position to understand why the handle was applied.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Great news for St Kilda

ace
Saintsational Legend

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Top marks, TOT. You can always trust a tall man who drinks a lot. Except when that tall man who drinks a lot is me. You've been warned!
My husband used to say don't trust little men with beards. His words were ' beware the little dog that barks behind the fence'!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Great news for St.Kilda. Satisfying to know that we can now make a little bit of money out of OUR home games at OUR home ground.

ace
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Great news for St.Kilda. Satisfying to know that we can now make a little bit of money out of OUR home games at OUR home ground.
Don't kid yourselves this ground now belongs to Gillon McLachlan and all our rival clubs.

We will be held over a barrel just like before.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Awesome, now we should get together with north and dogs and screw the AFL into a favourable deal.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Just waiting for Eddie to come forward and say deals should remain as they are and profits split 18 ways based on membership numbers

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Great news for St.Kilda. Satisfying to know that we can now make a little bit of money out of OUR home games at OUR home ground.
Don't kid yourselves this ground now belongs to Gillon McLachlan and all our rival clubs.

We will be held over a barrel just like before.
Thank goodness Gill barracks for St Kilda then.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:
My husband used to say don't trust little men with beards. His words were ' beware the little dog that barks behind the fence'!
That's the best thing I've seen all year! Have to use this at work; there's 2 little guys with beards

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

So with the ownership change, will the stadium be renamed for the fourth time? I'd like to propose the new name of Neocolonial Stadium.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great. So we will get more $$$ per game at Etihad. But I assume we will get less handouts from the AFL
in return. So will we actually be any better off as such is the question??

If they paid $200 million for Etihad and can sell it for over a billion wouldn't that be the go?

If they can build a new ground near the G for say $800 million we will all better off.

Etihad has done it's dash and may as well have 2 grounds in the Sporting precinct

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Finnis: "..we now look forward to working closely with the AFL to improve arrangements for the Saints, our players, members and fans via enhancing the facilities and re-engineering the match returns."

The excess money from matches would now be going to the AFL and not the previous stadium owners. Hopefully this will mean $$ for us regardless of crowd numbers.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Great. So we will get more $$$ per game at Etihad. But I assume we will get less handouts from the AFL

If they paid $200 million for Etihad and can sell it for over a billion wouldn't that be the go?

If they can build a new ground near the G for say $800 million we will all better off.

Etihad has done it's dash and may as well have 2 grounds in the Sporting precinct
Nup, it needs to stay on the west side of the city and right next to the train station. Easy access from the west, from the train and also from the monash/citylink.

The 'G is a pain to get to (they really need to build another station right next to the 'G).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintspremiers wrote:Great. So we will get more $$$ per game at Etihad. But I assume we will get less handouts from the AFL

or elsewhere...? junction :wink:
I am a little confused why some are thinking this ground breaking news given that the AFL (end eddie) have been talking about the acquisition throughout the year. And the purchase price has ranged between a paltry $1 and 200mil
The problem still exists - the afl crowd have never loved the dome (built on the wrong axis)
The land out-values the purpose
We will still be the poor tenants in comparison to the other clubs EFC & Calton

That said I am even further surprised by the fact that no one has made the connection of the AFLs' motive of preparing for the EFC juggernaut next year

Seeya
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully all tenant clubs get an equal deal !

In red white and black from 73
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Hopefully all tenant clubs get an equal deal !
heard Essendon say it's a win for Fans--- I certainly Hope the AFL "Equalise" all options

Just make sure you don't buy at the Beyond sport at the stadium- Essendon own it.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

why is everybody excited? that $150-200mil from the AFL didn't come from a treasure chest buried at Port Melbourne Beach. :shock:
It's money that could have saved the Dolphins, or used to help out battling Melbourne based clubs.
Just to buy a piece of infrastructure, the whole league is being disadvantaged.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:So with the ownership change, will the stadium be renamed for the fourth time? I'd like to propose the new name of Neocolonial Stadium.
It will always be "Docklands Stadium" but with naming rights - Etihad Airways pays for the present naming rights with an ongoing contract and an option to renew after that.

ace
Saintsational Legend

It would simpler to fix up the stupid Medallion Club arrangement.
Make so many more of the best seats available to the public.
Selling seats on a match basis takes better care of the spectators than selling the seats for occassional occupancy when the seat owner decides to attend.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

or elsewhere...? junction :wink:
I am a little confused why some are thinking this ground breaking news given that the AFL (end eddie) have been talking about the acquisition throughout the year. And the purchase price has ranged between a paltry $1 and 200mil
The problem still exists - the afl crowd have never loved the dome (built on the wrong axis)
The land out-values the purpose
We will still be the poor tenants in comparison to the other clubs EFC & Calton

That said I am even further surprised by the fact that no one has made the connection of the AFLs' motive of preparing for the EFC juggernaut next year
And, McGuire's been mighty obtuse, e.g.

May:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/eddi ... c40e71549d

Late June:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 07f3f5385e

Today:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/radical ... e61372c5c7

As far as the E'dope "juggernaut" goes, I reckon too many are ignoring their history post the Sheedy salary cap rorted last flag they won. Leave out their stellar 1/2 "assisted" season in '12, and how has the rest of that period looked (which kinda explains why they went that route)?

10 odd coming back, of varied capability, and ages, after a year off, obvious doubts about who to trust, suits still in play, samples stored in Germany, departed with axes to grind (and mouths to feed), and the prospect of the odd surfacing health issue.

I know which club out of them and us I'd rather be involved with, and it ain't them. They were overrated going in, and they're still being overrated, because that sense of entitlement that took them there, is still there, only with a playing group with little voices in their heads.

Fear no-one.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:So with the ownership change, will the stadium be renamed for the fourth time? I'd like to propose the new name of Neocolonial Stadium.
From http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-07/d ... m-purchase
What happens to naming rights?
Etihad Airways has naming rights to the stadium until 2019, and that contract will remain in place. There is also an option for the airline to extend that deal.