Kelly and May

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kelly and May

Con Gorozidis wrote:I desperately want to get Josh Kelly.

But I don't want us to become some private school boy club. This is what held Melbourne back for decades.

Pretty bigoted remark, don't you think con?

Wombat15
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:what about Dylan Sheil?
He's my fav GWS midfielder - a bit older at 25 by an out and out gun!
He turned 24 this year.

Secondly the main connections we have with Kelly are Billings and Freeman both playing Under 18s Rep and TAC level and im sure they wouldve crossed paths in school footy. He roomed with Steele up at GWS.
Not sold on May i love him as a footballer with his no BS attitude but what does that mean for the side?

shrodes
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:what about Dylan Sheil?
He's my fav GWS midfielder - a bit older at 25 by an out and out gun!
Haven't seen much of him this year, but his disposal efficiency is pretty wayward from what I remember over the last couple of years. We need a clean ball user ;)

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Eight years?!

Kelly is a gun and would love to get him, but an 8 year deal? How about 5 years at $1.2 mill?

And why do we need May?

saintact7
Club Player

Kelly is absolutely what we need but my feel is he's a really decent, genuine kid who will be prepared to hold off for the big $,$$$,$$$ until he has achieved at least one premiership with his GWS mates.

By then he'll most likely only be 23-24 and able to still take a very long term contract at an even higher amount.

I was speaking with Dave Mathews the GWS CEO at a pre-season game here in Canberra, telling him that while I will support the Giants as a member whilstever they bring AFL games to Canberra, I am a long term Saints member, always will be and Saints are my absolute passion. I mentioned that Josh Kelly would look great in a Saints jumper. The look on his face said it all!

Wombat15
Club Player

Surely Hopper is on the market also. wouldnt mind a package deal where wed get both Kelly and Hopper.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintact7 wrote:Kelly is absolutely what we need but my feel is he's a really decent, genuine kid who will be prepared to hold off for the big $,$$$,$$$ until he has achieved at least one premiership with his GWS mates.

By then he'll most likely only be 23-24 and able to still take a very long term contract at an even higher amount.

I was speaking with Dave Mathews the GWS CEO at a pre-season game here in Canberra, telling him that while I will support the Giants as a member whilstever they bring AFL games to Canberra, I am a long term Saints member, always will be and Saints are my absolute passion. I mentioned that Josh Kelly would look great in a Saints jumper. The look on his face said it all!
Shame on you supporting that AFL bastard lovechild team! By all means watch the games in Canberra to get your AFL fix but the Saints need your cash a lot more than that AFL-approved rubbish, plus any money you tip into our redevelopment is a tax deduction

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hmm

Kelly and Hopper?

Why not ask for Greene and Scully also??

What exactly do we plan on giving up for these players?

And they've got to want to leave the most talented list in the afl

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hmm

Kelly and Hopper?

Why not ask for Greene and Scully also??
Because their is a big difference in acquiring One elite player and one good player than two elite players.
BigMart wrote:What exactly do we plan on giving up for these players?
Saints have 2 first rounders from 2017 and 1 from 2018 that can be traded, plus lesser picks.

One of Hickey or Longer could be traded to another club too. Say for an early second rounder.
BigMart wrote: And they've got to want to leave the most talented list in the afl
Kelly. He has a decision to make of trading off a more likely Flag by staying vs a lot, lot more money by leaving

He may also elect to re-sign for say 2 years to chase the lag and to they go for the big $$.

Reportedly he is keen to return to Melbourne and so he just needs to decide if it is 2018 or 2020.

Hopper GWS have so much talent that he is a fringe player. He has played a bit this season, but GWS has had a huge number of injuries plus Whitfield was suspended. So being fringe he may be tempted to move to a club where senior games are more likely.

I would expect the Blues to chase after Hopper hard.

GWS. They are in the enviable position where they can keep losing good players at present as it gains them early picks which means that they can keep gaining stars for their list over time. They have salary cap trouble too, and so by bringing in more kids it helps to balance their payments.

GWS simply have to lose players, unless some of their stars are willing to play for say only half of their market worth, or a bunch of them for say a third less. And if that happened they would still lose fringe players like Hopper. If Kelly stays, someone else will be prised loose.

PS: I doubt that we would target both Kelly and Hopper. But yes I could imagine Kelly plus another good player from another club. ie Jones or May or Lever.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Homesickness can be a significant factor. Also, have you ever been to Western Sydney BM?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:

Homesickness can be a significant factor. Also, have you ever been to Western Sydney BM?
Arsehole of the world. Well at least Australia.
:lol:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

A***hole of the world. Well at least Australia.
Someone on here mentioned working in an office in Western Sydney, and confirmed it was a fair bit exciting
with all the robbings, stabbings, drive-by shootings, so much violence...
The news always reports on this stuff on a daily basis pretty much

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Arsehole of the world. Well at least Australia.
You're being polite.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I genuinely think Kelly is seriously considering coming to us.
BUT - and this is a BIG BUT.....

He wont come if he thinks we are going to be s*** or even plain average. Otherwise why risk a flag or two at GWS?

If we want players of the quality of Kelly to come to the club we simply must be more competitive.
No more blow outs. No more losses over 30 points.
Our destiny is in our hands.

If we finish 11th or 12th and he doesnt come to us - well we only have ourselves to blame. Why the hell would he come to a s*** club that finishes 11th when he is guaranteed top 2 at GWS?

We need to finish no lower than 10th. It is so important.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:No more losses over 30 points.
Lol - Adelaide in Adelaide next bruh…

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:No more losses over 30 goals.
Lol - Adelaide in Adelaide next bruh…
<edited for accuracy> (for dragit)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintact7
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
saintact7 wrote:Kelly is absolutely what we need but my feel is he's a really decent, genuine kid who will be prepared to hold off for the big $,$$$,$$$ until he has achieved at least one premiership with his GWS mates.

Shame on you supporting that AFL bastard lovechild team! By all means watch the games in Canberra to get your AFL fix but the Saints need your cash a lot more than that AFL-approved rubbish, plus any money you tip into our redevelopment is a tax deduction

Hey saintspremiers that's pretty insulting stuff, but because you don't know me I'll forgive you this time.

I am only a Giants member because they play in Canberra, I pay about $80 a year for a good reserved seat at their 3 Canberra games. Gives me access to a GF ticket but I was actually glad the Dogs beat them to get in last year because I too am not a fan of the AFL creating super teams and glad the dogs got in and won, a victory for the battling, largely unassisted clubs like them, Saints, Melbourne and North.

Yes the Saints need my cash and let me assure you they get it. I have been a member continuously for the last 17 years, an Ultimate member with social club, about $300 a year, basically a donation as I see 3-4 games only each season but that's ok because I want to support my beloved Sainters. Come to my man cave and have a look at the 4 signed jumpers, all the history books, memorabilia etc or have a peek in my wardrobe full of Saints gear.

And yes I have contributed generously to the Moorabbin redevelopment.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We need to get him.

We are a team of B+ players.

Kelly will be a star.

Nee!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:We need to get him.

Kelly will be a star.
Kelly won't be a star, fugazi. He is a star! Get him! And where's my coconut?! :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Kelly will be a star.
Uhh glad you brought that up....any day now mate.

Nee!
SinCitySaint
Club Player

I would love to see Kelly at the club but he will cost at least 2 first round picks.
So that should be our primary objective, throw a silly money offer at Dusty too just to see if he bites for FA.
With all the extra money floating around everybody will be in the market.
So I thimk we will need to trade ultra aggressively this trade period to get anywhere.
I would push the boat out for Rockliff as a free agent also.

As far as trading for players goes we don't have much to trade as far as playing stock goes that will gain any value.
Mav may have some trade value and maybe we have to be willing to lose a player like Newnes, though he would be missed.
While he would be fabulous I cannot see us getting May but maybe Schache, if that is how it is spelt.
Whatever we go for we must be willing to spend big in cash, draft picks and players.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:

Kelly will be a star.
Uhh glad you brought that up....any day now mate.
:D :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

But I don't want us to become some private school boy club. This is what held Melbourne back for decades.
Not bigoted at all.
I handnt realised private school boys were in a minority group requiring protection?
My point is I want Kelly because he is a very good player. Not because he is mates with someone.

So no. It's not bigoted at all.
Explain how it is.
I suggest you maybe educate yourself in the word 'bigot' because you have a pretty unsophisticated and self serving view on using the word.
Ridiculous accusation. I reject it entirely.

derby Street
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not bigoted at all.
I handnt realised private school boys were in a minority group requiring protection?
My point is I want Kelly because he is a very good player. Not because he is mates with someone.

Explain how it is.
I suggest you maybe educate yourself in the word 'bigot' because you have a pretty unsophisticated and self serving view on using the word.
Con I generally like and respect your posts but on this occasion you are out of line. If you check back it is not the first time that you have raised the "private school" comment so I assert that it is indeed bigoted (Prejudiced, narrow minded, intolerant) There was no need to use this term, in fact it is irrelevant to the argument - you are normally better than this.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not bigoted at all.

Explain how it is.
Private School boys are probably in the majority here, there are a few of us from St Bedes and let me assure you (that in my day at least) we were harder than any Public Schoolboys, in life and sport.

You have on a number of occasions inferred that private school boys are soft, particularly in relation to Jack Billings (who is far from soft). I'd be happy with a list of predominantly private school boys. I'd then be confident that they understood the Coach's instructions, were less likely to give up and weren't worried about being gender fluid. :D
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sat 03 Jun 2017 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.