Remind me why we recurited Logan Austin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Remind me why we recurited Logan Austin

degruch wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 2:23pm
dragit wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 11:03am
degruch wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 9:54amHonestly, we've traditionally been one of the better supporter groups at completely overrating our list...but this guy hasn't played yet and we're already overrating him! Might be going okay-ish in the two's, but he couldn't get a regular spot at Port when they were miserable, probably because he just wasn't ready...I doubt that's changed a lot after one pre-season and 8 VFL games. He's a project key position player, still young, I'd expect to see more of him either late this year or next year if he continues form.

In any case, Joffa's correctly analysed the lack of need for a tall match up IMO, but we'll find out for sure soon.
I don't think anyone is overrating him, just suggesting that it would be worth looking at him in the seniors given our current position.

He managed 13 games as 20-21 year old, in a side that has been playing finals and has had 6+ solid key defenders on the list. Much better sides than us manage to regularly get games into their kids all over the field even when they are contending for flags.

If we don't have a tall match up, then what is Brown doing playing? He doens't get a kick and rarely takes a mark…

Maybe Austin could have had a crack at Mason Cox this week who has only managed 5 goals in 7 games?
I think it's overrating him to suggest he's a dead cert as soon as we lose a tall, just because he's there and under 22.

Collingwood don't have a massive forward line, so Brown will do as a shut down option on what they do have...he's obviously not there to trouble the disposal statisticians, and never has been, that's Sav, Coffield, Rice and Webster roles. Brown is one of the few that have shown onfield leadership from what I've witnessed, so that is worth its weight in gold right now...anyways, the question's not why Brown is included, I'd have thought that's obvious.

As for us blooding Logan, top teams can get games in kids no problem at all, piece of piss...they've got onfield leadership and support. If you don't have that, you get Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane and us. Besides, how many of them have 21 year old key position players surrounded by team mates with 10-50 games up their sleeves?

I'm of the opinion we're currently striking a balance between developing players and getting pantsed each week...one newbie right now is just fine, and Rice has earned his debut.
Too sensible a post “degrutch”, too sensible! Be off with you :wink:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The Recruit wrote: Thu 17 May 2018 11:18pm If this was a possibility the Saints wold jump at it. Unfortunately Paddy is not worth a Darcy Moore. We should try for a second round pick if possible....Sydneys pick 28-36.
I think the forum is still playing up, not fixed yet.
This reply belongs in the Darcy Moore thread.

I did go and visit the Animal Enclosure,
and saw some posts from Bindii Irwin and some ITK from the Melbourne Zoo,
which proves indeed that this forum is picking up posts from everywhere

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 4:26pm Too sensible a post “degrutch”, too sensible! Be off with you :wink:
Yeah dunno loz, seems a little counter intuitive to play a pure stopper full back against a side that doesn't have a decent key forward… also if Austin plays, he has the 29 year old captain next to him so should have plenty of leadership close-by.

The time is nigh.

David-Lee
Club Player

I heard he's rubbish and we got swindled large...I guess not playing a healthy "ready to go" defender proves this point.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 18 May 2018 2:55pm He wasn't that expensive but I thought it was a waste only because we don't need more backs. He may become good but most likely not for a while and he most likely will play when others have a bad game and get dropped or get injured.
I thought we got him as insurance for Brown being oldish, and in case Hugh didn't develop (imagine Saints not being able to develop!)

Dear oh dear

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee