Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Geary

Blues fans last night were saying they wish they had a skipper like Geary, not Marc Murphy.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 1:04pm Blues fans last night were saying they wish they had a skipper like Geary, not Marc Murphy.
Now, that did bring a smile to my face.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 12:52pm
Leo.J wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 12:44pm
saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 12:30pm
Leo.J wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 11:57am
terry smith rules wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 10:32am Pack of sheep some of you lot. Baa Geary baa turns the baa ball over

Quite certain you don,t actually watch games just listen to social media

Last night he had one terrible turnover when the game was dead in the last quarter. A couple of other disposals didn’t hit marks ( as with every other player), and if you want to prove me wrong go back through the game and list his disposals and what he did. Otherwise shut up and stop rabbiting on with rubbish we have heard for 8 years

Enough
Fqf
Don’t have social media...except for this.

Does this place count?

There was barely any pressure at times last night, Carlton were insipid. So I don’t think last night is a good measure of a player.

As I mentioned above Geary turns it over ofter while under no physical pressure.

There are turn overs and then there are turn overs. Geary’s turn overs tend to hurt because of when and where they occur. Turn overs that directly result in a goal hurt far more than one that doesn’t. They can be momentum breakers and morale sappers.

The likes of Geary, Gilbert, Savage, and Webster are part of the reason why we have struggled for the last 8 years. Good sides have good ball users in their back half because those kicks exiting defense, especially the first 2 possessions, are the most important in the modern game. They make you or break you.

That’s why Hawthorn had Mitchell, Burgoine and Hodge at half back so much, because they valued that aspect if the game so much.

Geary is awesome defensively, can’t fault him. That’s all that he should be doing though. When we end up with a team with Gilbert, Savage and Webster being pushed out by better ball users and decision makers, and Geary being our small forward stopper we’ll be far better off.

I don’t have a problem with him being captain if he’s our best option, which right now he probably is, but that imo reflects where we are as a team.
Geary, Sammy, Savage and Webster, until injured, all had good games last night and were part of the reason we won by over ten goals.

Enjoy the win ffs.
I am enjoying the win.

What’s that got to do with the above though?
I'm sure you really don't have to askbut this post from kingsaint might give you a clue.

"
KingSaint

Re: Content

"My god there are some miserable sods on this site these days...whinge, whine, complain, pi$$ing and moaning. Yeah it's been a tough season...but how about just enjoying the win...rather than constantly imposing your negative views of the world on the rest of us."
With all due respect Saynta, have you read any of my posts over the last 14 years?

In general I’m pretty optimistic about the Saints all things considered.

On this occasion I’m giving my opinion about the ability of our Captain and some of the players in our team which currently sits 15th and hasn’t played finals in 7, soon to be 8 years.

Which is a separate discussion as to whether I enjoyed the win or not. I went to the game, and enjoyed it, and am currently enjoying it I can assure you.

It’s also separate from whether you approve of the ‘negativity’ of my post after a win, which you’re abosolutely entitled to. That said I’m not interested in getting into an argument about being positive or negative after a win or a loss on this thread.

I’d prefer that you comment/discuss/dispute the contents of my post rather that the perceived overall negativity or positivity of it, which is pretty boring imo.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 2:07pm
saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 12:52pm
Leo.J wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 12:44pm
saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 12:30pm
Leo.J wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 11:57am
terry smith rules wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 10:32am Pack of sheep some of you lot. Baa Geary baa turns the baa ball over

Quite certain you don,t actually watch games just listen to social media

Last night he had one terrible turnover when the game was dead in the last quarter. A couple of other disposals didn’t hit marks ( as with every other player), and if you want to prove me wrong go back through the game and list his disposals and what he did. Otherwise shut up and stop rabbiting on with rubbish we have heard for 8 years

Enough
Fqf
Don’t have social media...except for this.

Does this place count?

There was barely any pressure at times last night, Carlton were insipid. So I don’t think last night is a good measure of a player.

As I mentioned above Geary turns it over ofter while under no physical pressure.

There are turn overs and then there are turn overs. Geary’s turn overs tend to hurt because of when and where they occur. Turn overs that directly result in a goal hurt far more than one that doesn’t. They can be momentum breakers and morale sappers.

The likes of Geary, Gilbert, Savage, and Webster are part of the reason why we have struggled for the last 8 years. Good sides have good ball users in their back half because those kicks exiting defense, especially the first 2 possessions, are the most important in the modern game. They make you or break you.

That’s why Hawthorn had Mitchell, Burgoine and Hodge at half back so much, because they valued that aspect if the game so much.

Geary is awesome defensively, can’t fault him. That’s all that he should be doing though. When we end up with a team with Gilbert, Savage and Webster being pushed out by better ball users and decision makers, and Geary being our small forward stopper we’ll be far better off.

I don’t have a problem with him being captain if he’s our best option, which right now he probably is, but that imo reflects where we are as a team.
Geary, Sammy, Savage and Webster, until injured, all had good games last night and were part of the reason we won by over ten goals.

Enjoy the win ffs.
I am enjoying the win.

What’s that got to do with the above though?
I'm sure you really don't have to askbut this post from kingsaint might give you a clue.

"
KingSaint

Re: Content

"My god there are some miserable sods on this site these days...whinge, whine, complain, pi$$ing and moaning. Yeah it's been a tough season...but how about just enjoying the win...rather than constantly imposing your negative views of the world on the rest of us."
With all due respect Saynta, have you read any of my posts over the last 14 years?

Honestly? None that I can recall.

I already stated that the players you were criticising all played their part in our win.

Basically I didn't agree with your comments.

Those players all try their guts out for the Saints and would be devastated to read comments like yours.

That's if they were silly enough to visit this forum, which I hopefully presume they aren't.

Thankfully. I am not alone in my views.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 2:27pm Honestly? None that I can recall.

I already stated that the players you were criticising all played their part in our win.

Basically I didn't agree with your comments.

Those players all try their guts out for the Saints and would be devastated to read comments like yours.

That's if they were silly enough to visit this forum, which I hopefully presume they aren't.

Thankfully. I am not alone in my views.
Fair enough.

I think we’re talking about different things here, with different motivations. Yet common goals.

I’ve given my opinion of who I think needs to be forced out of the team with more talented players, in order for us to improve. And that our Captain is better as a lockdown defender, as he turns over the ball at crucial times, yet his effort and heart cannot be disputed. The other players I mentioned have deficiencies in their game that appear that they are unable to omit. I belive our reliance on these guys are the reason we are where we are.

For sure they played their roles well more often that not last night, against a team that is 18th. I agree with you there, I’m not sure I have said otherwise.

Definitely haven’t questioned their effort or desire, just their ability to execute one of the harder kicks to perform in the game.

I not sure you’ve actually addressed my comments.

And I disagree with the facts the players would be devastated by my comments.

If the players were stupid enough to read this I doubt that they’d give a sh1t what some random on a fan forum thinks.

I’d be suprised if my opinions on here have any impact on the morale of the players/team or the club. If it does we’re in trouble. So I’m not too concerned about how it's percieved.

My main aim here is to discuss the footy team I’m passionate about. Which I’m sure you are too.
Last edited by Leo.J on Sat 14 Jul 2018 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough mate.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 1:49am Wtf is the matter with some of you? Every player turns it over a few times a game, even the stars

Cripps does. Kade Simpson has played 300 games and he has a reputaion for turning it over but you take the good and his strengths and positive contribution to team over a few mistakes. Even Chris Judd and Nick Riewoldt made mistakes
And how successful has Carlton been in those 300 games with Kade Simpson?
I love Kade...great battler and done everything with the ability he has...but if he's one of the best players in your team then the team has a problem.

Same with Geary...and you can throw Gilbert in the mix. Great clubmen (like Blake), lots of heart but if we're relying on them then we're struggling. Depth players, all of them...certainly not captain material.

Please don't embarrass yourself further by putting Geary into a conversation with Cripps. Don't even start on Riewoldt and Judd. Clearance machines and key forwards. Pffft.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Tony74 says the players to a man are happy with Gears as captain. That is good enough for me and easily outways negative opinions on here about his captancy.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 5:25pm Tony74 says the players to a man are happy with Gears as captain. That is good enough for me and easily outways negative opinions on here about his captancy.
Why would T74 (employee of Saints) and the Saints footy players (you know the ones that actually train and play there every week) know who should be their captain? 😉
How dare they know better than some moron off SS.net that played a couple of senior games out Gippy way back in the 90's! 😁

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
minneapolis
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 1:04pm Blues fans last night were saying they wish they had a skipper like Geary, not Marc Murphy.
I thought Murphy was very soft last night, and Geary was really fired up and committed.

A fair comment from that Blues supporter.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 5:20pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 1:49am Wtf is the matter with some of you? Every player turns it over a few times a game, even the stars

Cripps does. Kade Simpson has played 300 games and he has a reputaion for turning it over but you take the good and his strengths and positive contribution to team over a few mistakes. Even Chris Judd and Nick Riewoldt made mistakes
I love Kade...great battler and done everything with the ability he has...but if he's one of the best players in your team then the team has a problem.

Same with Geary...and you can throw Gilbert in the mix. Great clubmen (like Blake), lots of heart but if we're relying on them then we're struggling. Depth players, all of them...certainly not captain material.

Please don't embarrass yourself further by putting Geary into a conversation with Cripps. Don't even start on Riewoldt and Judd. Clearance machines and key forwards. Pffft.
I just read this and cringe that you would ever....EVER, EVER use the word love when talking about an opposition player.

The conversation is about Geary and his value to our team versus a clanger or two that he makes. If you watch the replay of the whole game and watch his attack on the footy and at every contest versus the attack on the footy from Murphy then you'd understand why he is our captain. If you think that the best player in a team should be captain just say so otherwise stfu

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 6:20pm

I just read this and cringe that you would ever....EVER, EVER use the word love when talking about an opposition player.

The conversation is about Geary and his value to our team versus a clanger or two that he makes. If you watch the replay of the whole game and watch his attack on the footy and at every contest versus the attack on the footy from Murphy then you'd understand why he is our captain. If you think that the best player in a team should be captain just say so otherwise stfu
What's wrong with loving players from other clubs?
We all took it as read that everybody loved Banger and Lenny!
I loved watching Carey, Ablett Snr, Dunstall, Diesel, James Hird, Tim Watson, and Malcolm Blight play football. Amazing players and should be acknowledged as such.

I will not STFU because the best player should not be captain. The best leader should be captain or, as we did 2003-2006, rotate a captaincy to develop leaders. It was clear that Harvey was not a great skipper. So Hamill, Roo, Lenny, and Bally had a go and they all developed into great leaders. Geary is not a great leader and is too old to develop into one for our needs. We should have implemented a rotating captaincy in the last few years of having Rooey and Joey in the team. We missed the boat and now have to suffer a leadership void as a result...It's been clear all season and acknowledged by the club and the media.

Again, don't ever put Geary in a comparison with the blokes you mentioned. You just look like a dill when you do!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

And some do it more than others and ought not be excused for doing it
Has history - what do you mean wtf?? EVERY saints fan who knows this club knows Geary AND Gilbert murder balls often
Want to beat the best..... don’t accept mediocrity and turn over merchants have a tendency to hurt you when you can least expect it
We have already seen a Geary attempt to cross the ball into the corridor in a tight game this year cost us at a crucial time
It is bleeding obvious ffs

“Yeah….nah””
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

minneapolis wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 4:28pm
I thought Murphy was very soft last night, and Geary was really fired up and committed.

A fair comment from that Blues supporter.
Several Blues fans were saying it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 7:01pm

I loved watching Carey, Ablett Snr, Dunstall, Diesel, James Hird, Tim Watson, and Malcolm Blight play football. Amazing players and should be acknowledged as such.

I will not STFU because the best player should not be captain. The best leader should be captain or, as we did 2003-2006, rotate a captaincy to develop leaders. It was clear that Harvey was not a great skipper. So Hamill, Roo, Lenny, and Bally had a go and they all developed into great leaders. Geary is not a great leader and is too old to develop into one for our needs. We should have implemented a rotating captaincy in the last few years of having Rooey and Joey in the team. We missed the boat and now have to suffer a leadership void as a result...It's been clear all season and acknowledged by the club and the media.

Again, don't ever put Geary in a comparison with the blokes you mentioned. You just look like a dill when you do!
There's a difference in saying "I love watching opposition players" but that's not what you wrote originally. Sorry...but you said "I love Kade"

I was going to borrow a phrase from stonecold and just ask you to read my signature, but don't want to get into an argument with you because I seriously doubt that you comprehend the points raised by myself and others.

As far as the debate around captaincy at our club and who is best suited perhaps you should provide us your alternative choice and your reasons rather than potting the choice made by ALL the current players. I am supporting Geary the player and Geary the captain because he is doing as best as he can and he is probably our best option RIGHT now. What's the point of blaming Geary for decisions that the club should have made on rotating captains years ago ( which I was supporting and commenting on many years ago)...Do you get it?

On the subject of what makes a good captain, and who should be the best leader...tell us why you think Riewoldt was a better leader than Cameron Ling or Tom Harley or Nick Maxwell please. The point is that just because you see how well a player goes about it on the football field, doesn't necessarily relate to how well the whole list performs and the influence the leader can have on capturing team ethic and helping improve each and every individual
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 8:40pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 7:01pm

There's a difference in saying "I love opposition players" but that's not what you wrote originally. Sorry...but you said "I love Kade"

I was going to borrow a phrase from stonecold and just ask you to read my signature, but don't want to get into an argument with you because I seriously doubt that you comprehend the points raised by myself and others.

As far as the debate around captaincy at our club and who is best suited perhaps you should provide us your alternative choice and your reasons rather than potting the choice made by ALL the current players. I am supporting Geary the player and Geary the captain because he is doing as best as he can and he is probably our best option RIGHT now. What's the point of blaming Geary for decisions that the club should have made on rotating captains years ago ( which I was supporting and commenting on many years ago)...Do you get it?
You have the most apt nickname ever! Very little brain power and only able to get any kind of momentum by flapping your gums.

I thought that I already said what we should have done and we missed the boat. Any number of Seb Ross, Jack Billings, David Armitage, Jimmy Webster, Josh Bruce, Jake Carlisle, or Tim Membrey should have been given a shot. If Jarryn is such a good leader then he should be developing others in the role. Otherwise when he retires we're still going to have a dearth of leaders.
I didn't see anywhere where I blamed Geary for anything. I stated he is not a great captain and I stand by that. He is a battler with a lots of heart and a good attack on the footy...But let's not dismiss his greatest flaw. He is, by and large, a terrible decision maker and an awful disposer of the footy...and given that he plays in defence his turnovers cost us dearly.
Comparing him to Murphy is good because Murphy has lots of skill but little ticker. But is Murphy our only choice for comparison? Can't we compare him to players of other clubs? Selwood, Pendlebury, Jack Ziebell, Travis Boak, Nathan Jones, and Callan Ward to name a few. All similar vintage or younger than Jarryn. All better players and Captains...Again it's not his fault but my issue isn't with him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

My nickname has nothing to do with a 'scallop'. Do you know how to spell?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:36pm My nickname has nothing to do with a 'scallop'. Do you know how to spell?
I do...I just assumed that you didn't...Hence the very little brain power comment!

You're very antagonistic...All this because I had the temerity to question the choice of skipper and dare say that I love an opposition player.

Who are you really mad at?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:32pm If Jarryn is such a good leader then he should be developing others in the role. Otherwise when he retires we're still going to have a dearth of leaders.
Please remind me who was our captain for about 8-9 years before Gears? Are you potting Rooy's leadership?

See this is the problem you find yourself in when you get into a discussion about things. You start digging holes for yourself.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:50pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:32pm If Jarryn is such a good leader then he should be developing others in the role. Otherwise when he retires we're still going to have a dearth of leaders.
Please remind me who was our captain for about 8-9 years before Gears? Are you potting Rooy's leadership?

See this is the problem you find yourself in when you get into a discussion about things. You start digging holes for yourself.
Not sure how I see this as digging hole.
Roo was an amazing leader and a totally dominant personality. The club should have recognised this three years ago and took the captaincy away from him. He had one year at the club when he wasn't captain. Not enough. Harvey, by way of comparison, had six. He was still a leader for those six years...and when he left we had players like Hayes, Ball, and Riewoldt taking the mantle.
No holes here, just cold hard facts.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:59pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:50pm

Not sure how I see this as digging hole.
Roo was an amazing leader and a totally dominant personality. The club should have recognised this three years ago and took the captaincy away from him. He had one year at the club when he wasn't captain. Not enough. Harvey, by way of comparison, had six. He was still a leader for those six years...and when he left we had players like Hayes, Ball, and Riewoldt taking the mantle.
No holes here, just cold hard facts.
Yes I fully concur. I was suggesting rotating the captaincy many years ago. The whole issue here is that moving forward the club needs to learn from mistakes of the past. Let's ensure there are leaders who are inclusive and captains who are interested in growth of individuals and sharing leadership rather than the situation where there is a vaccuum when someone leaves after many years as captain

Tommyj
Club Player

Just a simple question if football was 8 aside which stkilda players would you pick

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Tommyj wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 10:48am Just a simple question if football was 8 aside which stkilda players would you pick
Geary, Ross, Acres, Long, Gresham Carlisle, Steven and Sinclair.

Simple. :wink:

Tommyj
Club Player

membery billings Carlisle acres Steven Gresham,

Tommyj
Club Player

Tommyj wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 7:13pm membery billings Carlisle acres Steven Gresham Webster robbo