Priority Pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Priority Pick

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 2:43pm So Carlton have Cripps, Murphy, Kreuzer, Curnow and Pick 1 this year, and are 18th.....and are getting a Priority Pick. Carlton have publicly state that their list is good, and it just needs time.

We have.....pick 5 this year, and are 15th. We have publicly stated that our list is rubbish.

Right now, I know who I'd rather be.
Yeah I agree - I don't know that I would want to be called a Carlton supporter either!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
stkfc1
Club Player

Ive heard along the grapevine that there will be a serious look at bottom clubs getting more draft picks in the future. Possibly awarded more than one 2nd round pick is the most likely. FA is not working and the AFL know they need to help out bottom teams as it's fast becoming a two tiered comp.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 8:17pm Ive heard along the grapevine that there will be a serious look at bottom clubs getting more draft picks in the future. Possibly awarded more than one 2nd round pick is the most likely. FA is not working and the AFL know they need to help out bottom teams as it's fast becoming a two tiered comp.
That policy will be implemented the year after St Kilda break free from the bottom club death zone

Like always our timing will be impeccable

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 8:28pm That policy will be implemented the year after St Kilda break free from the bottom club death zone
So next year???????

Please make it so!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 8:28pm
stkfc1 wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 8:17pm Ive heard along the grapevine that there will be a serious look at bottom clubs getting more draft picks in the future. Possibly awarded more than one 2nd round pick is the most likely. FA is not working and the AFL know they need to help out bottom teams as it's fast becoming a two tiered comp.
That policy will be implemented the year after St Kilda break free from the bottom club death zone

Like always our timing will be impeccable
Not in total agreement.
We got priority pick #2 in 2000 & #5 in 2001 and dropped from #3 to #1 when Carlscum were penalized for cheating.

Also beneficiery of the period when first pick in preseason draft allowed players to walk to a bottom club FOC.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
older saint
SS Life Member

Think priority picks will be end of round 1. My guess is Carlton and GC , despite the fact they have 4 wins for the year. AFL has wasted (invested) $100's of millions in them and refuse to acknowledge the farce it is.
Unfortunately for this situation our improvement in previous years and being close while not making finals will work against any chance we have.

Another 12 months of this though could change things

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Carlton do deserve a pick but it can be at the end of round 1. that is fair as they do have a good list, it is just young

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Interesting....

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we get an end of 1st round pick that would be fantastic for us. Offload Longer, Dunstan and Newnes for some 2nd/3rd rounders and land a couple of free agents and suddenly we are in a position to massively improve our list in the off season.

End up with something like

Pick 4 - Smith, Rankine or Walsh
Pick 20 (PP)
Pick 25 (trade)
Pick 35 (trade)
Pick Pick 40 (trade)

One or two of
Gaff
Lycett
Polec
Dahlhaus
Liberatore
Wallis
Menzel

If we get back into the second and third rounds we could potentially package up a couple of picks for a late first rounder as well. Also would have some currency if we are serious about Hannebury

saint6709
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 1:36am If we get an end of 1st round pick that would be fantastic for us. Offload Longer, Dunstan and Newnes for some 2nd/3rd rounders and land a couple of free agents and suddenly we are in a position to massively improve our list in the off season.

End up with something like

Pick 4 - Smith, Rankine or Walsh
Pick 20 (PP)
Pick 25 (trade)
Pick 35 (trade)
Pick Pick 40 (trade)

One or two of
Gaff
Lycett
Polec
Dahlhaus
Liberatore
Wallis
Menzel

If we get back into the second and third rounds we could potentially package up a couple of picks for a late first rounder as well. Also would have some currency if we are serious about Hannebury
We've had a lot of picks in the 20's and second and third round picks since 2012 - they mean bugger all as far as I can tell - we need some top end talent

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Well, if based on Caro’s piece on Footy Classified last night - we’re now right in the mix for a priority pick now “the AFL’s view is that the Saints’ list is in worse shape than Carlton’s”.

I’m not entirely sure of the quality of depth of the Blue’s list but ours is so poor. In Cripps alone they already have more A-Graders than us.

Go you red, black & white warriors
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Aside from the current lack of A graders on the list - FWIW I think our list is Ok and just needs time.

The lack of leadership is the issue. Our senior group is appalling.

And in turn, the younger guys aren't developing. Add to that a lame game plan, and we look terrible.

I've said this dozens of times, but it's an amazing coincidence that teams with good, solid senior players seem to develop their young guys really well!

With Dempster, Roo and Montagna we even appeared to be developing a good young group!

Take them away - and were putrid. Same young guys - very different output.

I'm certain that with a different game plan that is better communicated to the players, and with a decent senior group - we'll be a good team.

It'll be 12-18 months until it naturally occurs though.

takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 8:48am Aside from the current lack of A graders on the list - FWIW I think our list is Ok and just needs time.

The lack of leadership is the issue. Our senior group is appalling.

And in turn, the younger guys aren't developing. Add to that a lame game plan, and we look terrible.

I've said this dozens of times, but it's an amazing coincidence that teams with good, solid senior players seem to develop their young guys really well!

With Dempster, Roo and Montagna we even appeared to be developing a good young group!

Take them away - and were putrid. Same young guys - very different output.

I'm certain that with a different game plan that is better communicated to the players, and with a decent senior group - we'll be a good team.

It'll be 12-18 months until it naturally occurs though.
Agree. As I've said in other posts our senior representation from the draft periods 2006-10 (any earlier is getting on a bit) is one - Jack Steven. Hawthorn still has 8 or so and just lost Rioli. That is a major weak spot for us. We have brought in a few, but they are not really leaders, including Carlisle.
The other side of course is coaching, and hopefully a shake up will lead to improvement. I think the list is not as bad as some make out.

I think Gold Coast will get a pick for Lynch, and that is all.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 9:56am
I think Gold Coast will get a pick for Lynch, and that is all.
The consequences of free agency demonstrates how the law of unintended consequences can play out.

Lynch goes to a strong club (Hawthorn or Richmond), that useless and inept black hole that is Gold Coast get compensated, and the Saints fall down the draft order, and probably miss out on a player they really want and need.

The weak get weaker!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 7:48amWe've had a lot of picks in the 20's and second and third round picks since 2012 - they mean bugger all as far as I can tell - we need some top end talent
To be fair ever since the end of the compromised drafts I think we've generally done ok with the 2nd and 3rd round picks we've had

Pick 18 - Dunstan: He has certainly stalled but he was one of the best performing juniors in the country and has shown the ability to play decent footy at AFL level. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a solid 25 disposal per game midfielder at another club.

Pick 19 - Acres: Loads of talent and athletic ability but clearly needs to be in an environment where he can play as an onballer instead of a key forward/backup ruck. He'll either become a gun for us or another team

Pick 21 - Goddard: Played some very good footy in his first season before his career was derailed by injuries. Clearly should have been in the seniors much earlier this year. No idea if he'll make it but he was considered a very early draft selection for his entire junior career

Pick 22 - McKenzie: I've been critical of his selection but he has actually strung together a few very good games recently. I see him as a faster, more attacking and better marking version of our captain. He's an athletic, courageous small defender who is prone to the occasional bad clanger but the good far outweighs the bad

Pick 41 - Lonie: I don't see him making it but he did show a hell of a lot of talent in his first year before it was coached out of him

Pick 40 - White: His game shutting down Toby Greene was outstanding earlier this year and it's ridiculous that he hasn't played more senior footy this season. Has more talent that most of the guys getting a game every week.

Pick 49 - Rice: Has played some very good footy this year and clearly should have played seniors much earlier. I think he has a very good chance of making it. He doesn't have much pace but he's smart, strong and skilled

Pick 25 - Long: I had no faith in this selection as he hadn't strung together anything resembling good sustained form before but he is quickly proving me wrong. One of the shining lights this year before injury and possesses confidence and aggression that we are sorely lacking as a club

Pick 39 - Battle: Never should have made it to our pick and he's going to prove a lot of recruiters wrong. Skilled, strong endurance beast who also happens to be a natural forward and tackles to hurt. Great pick

Too early to comment on Clavarino and Paton