Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas

Enrico_Misso wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 11:03am Would love to see him on the board, maybe even as President.
His footy and business knowledge is a rare mix.

And he wouldn't be afraid to speak up when we are shafted unlike the recent lapdog Presidents.
Disagree Enrico, I think you need a top end of town president if you can land one or a very connected president. Grant Thomas is neither.

We don't need an outspoken version of Greg Westaway (moderately successful SME businessman) in my opinion.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 9:03am
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 6:25am One of my favorite analogies is the rear view mirror and windscreen sizes.

They are proportionate for how much time you should spend looking forward and looking back.

I think it’s relevant when discussing the op.

It’s like rekindling with an old girlfriend from 2006, it was great back then but there was a reason you broke up.
It never quite works out does it?
Is that a question or statement? :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:17pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 9:03am
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 6:25am One of my favorite analogies is the rear view mirror and windscreen sizes.

They are proportionate for how much time you should spend looking forward and looking back.

It’s like rekindling with an old girlfriend from 2006, it was great back then but there was a reason you broke up.
It never quite works out does it?
Is that a question or statement? :wink:
I wasn’t seeking advice, so it was a rhetorical question.

:D

Just thinking about it...ewww!!!

The feeling is probably mutual too.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
wally
Club Player

Neil Balme is a good operator and has been at a few clubs
Grant Thomas was a somebody at the club above Blight then became coach wasn't he?
I think GT is/was a good operator at whatever he puts his mind to, and has a passion for StKilda FC
In the right role he should be welcome back, but the boundaries should be agreed upon first.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

evertonfc wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 1:25am He'd be outstanding.

For starters, we'd become immediately relevant. He is, after all, somebody who understands the heart and soul of the club.

Let's end the vanilla days. Time to ramp up what this club is really about.

This!!! :twisted:

I agree that our financial position makes it currently very hard to stand up to Gestapo HQ.

But what can they really do...? TV broadcast agreements mean that Gestapo HQ needs all the clubs. And our recent on-field performances mean we'd be getting graveyard shift Sunday twilight matches anyway.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:49pm

For starters, we'd become immediately relevant. He is, after all, somebody who understands the heart and soul of the club.

I agree that our financial position makes it currently very hard to stand up to Gestapo HQ.

But what can they really do...? TV broadcast agreements mean that Gestapo HQ needs all the clubs. And our recent on-field performances mean we'd be getting graveyard shift Sunday twilight matches anyway.
Really? Playing Friday night this week.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:32pm Neil Balme is a good operator and has been at a few clubs
Grant Thomas was a somebody at the club above Blight then became coach wasn't he?
I think GT is/was a good operator at whatever he puts his mind to, and has a passion for StKilda FC
In the right role he should be welcome back, but the boundaries should be agreed upon first.

The problem with GT is that he is no good at keeping within boundaries. He has always gone beyond them in all his careers. This is why he is a lone wolf now as he cannot stay within and work with a pack.

Balme has many skills, but a key one is that he brings people TOGETHER
GT has many skills, but a key lack is that he drives people APART

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saynta wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:52pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:49pm

Really? Playing Friday night this week.
True (again). And we need to enjoy that fact... whilst we still can, I suspect.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:13pm
Cairnsman wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 10:10am

Not even a "friends with benefits" relationship?
With Grant? :wink:

Great idea is FWB, but in the long term does it ever work out
Aren't most supporters just wanting instant gratification :P

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

FFS yesterday’s man in so many ways and hated by AFL cause he’s all “look at me”
People so desperate to be relevant they’d put in Trump....not thinking if the consequences...what I also find hilarious is people think Thomas did what he did cause he just “loved the Saints”
Thomas was paid for x eptiomally well with no AFL coaching credentials he did what he did for “him” as evidenced by his 200k gouge from the club AFTER he signed away rights to his leave etc
There has to be a future - abright, younger, smarter model than Grant Trump who knows how to play the AFL system AND business

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

FFS yesterday’s man in so many ways and hated by AFL cause he’s all “look at me”
People so desperate to be relevant they’d put in Trump....not thinking if the consequences...what I also find hilarious is people think Thomas did what he did cause he just “loved the Saints”
Thomas was paid for x eptiomally well with no AFL coaching credentials he did what he did for “him” as evidenced by his 200k gouge from the club AFTER he signed away rights to his leave etc
There has to be a future - abright, younger, smarter model than Grant Trump who knows how to play the AFL system AND business

“Yeah….nah””
barneyboyz
Club Player

degruch wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 9:02am
thejiggingsaint wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:56am
jonesy wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:53am Only problem is he pots the AFL aggressively at will now on his podcast and Twitter, plus his dealings with them in the past. I agree with nearly everything he says, but there can only ever be one winner when you pot the AFL from clubland....
Yeah well maybe we SHOULD stop taking it up the old khyber pass from the AFL for a change!
I liked his stance too...but we didn't get a free kick for about 4 years...Whispers, Siren-Gate, any opportunity we were royally screwed. It would happen again the second he stepped in the door (of course, nowhere near a coaching role). Given we've been stacked by AFL HQ, that would never happen anyway.
When did we start getting 'free kicks' again? :)

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 3:39pm
jonesy wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 12:53am Only problem is he pots the AFL aggressively at will now on his podcast and Twitter, plus his dealings with them in the past. I agree with nearly everything he says, but there can only ever be one winner when you pot the AFL from clubland....
Yeah well maybe we SHOULD stop taking it up the old khyber pass from the AFL for a change!
I liked his stance too...but we didn't get a free kick for about 4 years...Whispers, Siren-Gate, any opportunity we were royally screwed. It would happen again the second he stepped in the door (of course, nowhere near a coaching role). Given we've been stacked by AFL HQ, that would never happen anyway.
Good question. We are still paying the price imhfo.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 3:20pm FFS yesterday’s man in so many ways and hated by AFL cause he’s all “look at me”
Heard you the first time. No need to repeat yourself. :roll:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 5:04pm
barneyboyz wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 3:39pm
Good question. We are still paying the price imhfo.
2009 :lol:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lethean has his job IMO.

That said, if we really want to go down the way of the dark side and be the AFL anti-hero...

Then he should be Prez and just take no fkn prisoners.

We are so vanilla even our skidmarks are white.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

What would he bring to the club?

Judging from this thread divisiveness

happy feet
Club Player

Yes please. At least we would put up a fight against the evil empire, unlike the current mob who just acquiesce to the AFl agenda.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What’s Graham Huggins up to these days?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 5:06pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 09 Aug 2018 3:20pm FFS yesterday’s man in so many ways and hated by AFL cause he’s all “look at me”
Heard you the first time. No need to repeat yourself. :roll:
For some of my elderly customers like you Stinger it pays to just give them a friendly nudge/reminder as the mind isn’t as sharp as in your junior Frank Galbally days.... :x :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

What I like about GT is that he's the sort of person who would be able to turn the screws where required - specifically regarding football-related performance and financial performance.

But above that, he's also big on identity, how to drive a winning organisation and the importance of becoming a dominant force - not just making up the numbers.

Now, it didn't work out for him as coach, for a number of reasons. But that was then and this is now.

The "don't-get-back-with-your-old-girlfriend" is a sloppy, lazy observation. He's not being proposed as the coach; he's being proposed in a different role, one that is probably more aligned to his modern day skillsets.

The presidential role has many key roles
- Representing the club both internally and externally
- Attracting sponsors
- Organising an innovative board
- Outlining a plan for success

I've noticed many people in AFL circles just love the idea of throwing the keys to somebody who has made money in business, as if qualifies them to lead a member-based sporting club.

Actually, no - that's not right. Jeff Kennett isn't much of a businessman and Eddie McGuire was a TV host in 1999, but they had the kind of forceful character to drive through the kind of success that both of their clubs required and now Hawthorn and Collingwood are arguably the two biggest clubs in Melbourne.

Don't confuse or conflate the CEO role with the president's role, or the head of football. They're different. You recruit the right people for the right job.

Now, I actually believe GT would be pretty good at any of those in a football club, but where he's at in his life, and where we're at as a footy club, would indicate to me that we need a powerful, unforgiving figure who is prepared to ruthlessly drive this club out of the swamp.

I don't pretend it will be easy. I don't pretend that GT would get it done straight away. But he is unquestionably a force majeure when he is engaged and in full flight (and doesn't have a cocaine-addicted fruitcake trying to interfere).

It's quite remarkable how people respond to him. That's leadership. It's why Nick Riewoldt, Luke Ball and others all gravitate to him. He's lost a couple of people along the way but that's fine with me. He doesn't tolerate fools and has zero patience for anyone who isn't prepared to demand success. Again, fine with me.

He shoots off on a bit on Twitter and whatever but, honestly, so what - you never see him slagging his core business on there, which speaks to how he conducts his primary activity.

Honestly, as we risk slipping off the face of the planet and becoming the most boring, bland and identity-less sporting club in the nation, we have to ask ourselves what we really want to be.

If you want somebody to galvanise St Kilda, put us back on the map and aggressively pursue success - without having to lick the behind of the governing body - it's pretty clear that Thomas makes for an outstanding candidate; almost certainly sans peer with a view to what we need right at this moment.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Demetriou would roll in his grave!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Fri 10 Aug 2018 8:29am Demetriou would roll in his grave!
Even BETTER! :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Fri 10 Aug 2018 8:29am Demetriou would roll in his grave!

s***. Wasn't aware he had died.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Been out of the AFL system for 11 seasons.

It’s not happening dreamers