Trade Whispers Update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Whispers Update

True Believer wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:19am
WellardSaint wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 4:37pm
Ross can get a huge amount of the ball, but he is undisciplined (e.g. Power game last yr, last throw-in)
and he does lazy things in every game I have ever seen;
he sometimes can give a very nice kick to advantage, but far far too often, even when he has a lot of time,
he just bombs in without caring where it's going. "Good, another possie in the bank".
If anyone is near him, he panics and just goes bang, or handballs up in the air to someone standing still.
I really do not like the way he plays- NOT a team player.
Sorry but I have to disagree here. Ross is one of the few on our list that actually backpedals, doesn't panic, and makes a little time for himself to weigh up his options, and in doing so buys a little time for the next guy on the possession chain. No doubt he makes some blunders, but how many are because he has received possession already under the pump because of a team-mates panic? He's the sort of player that would look a million bucks in a better team where he received better support and disposal.......
Spot on True Believer!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Seb should be made club captain from 2019.

Stuff this voting nonsense. It’s not a popularity contest.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
wally
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:20pm Plenty of our players have trade value to other clubs its stupid to suggest other wise.
A few of our blokes look ordinary when bunched together, but in a good side could slot in ok,
likewise some good players from elsewhere in our side would struggle.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:40pm Seb should be made club captain from 2019.

100% agree. Geary is an appalling captain and Seb is the only suitable candidate at the club. Imagine if Nick Smith was Sydney's captain

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:40pm Seb should be made club captain from 2019.

100% agree. Geary is an appalling captain and Seb is the only suitable candidate at the club. Imagine if Nick Smith was Sydney's captain

derby Street
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:57pm

Not sure Geary is an appalling captain - but he is an ordinary footballer.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Hickey might be a better captain!. Seb collects 40 possessions as a midfielder/ onballer, and the Essendon onballers Heppell and Merrett are the two best players on the ground against us.

barneyboyz
Club Player

dragit wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:21pm
To the top wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 1:42pm We are not in a position to trade

The focus should be on Free Agency - exclusively
We need to be smarter than that.

No star free agents are coming to us in our state.

There will be some interest in Longer, Bruce, Savage & Weller… who we can either trade for players or a mid range pick to take to the draft or combine with other picks to improve our position in the draft.

If our rebuild is drifting significantly we may listen to offers for Steven.

We may decide that Dunstan, Steele, Ross are all too similar, with none of them being really big contested ball winners. Maybe we go for a Mitch Wallis as a free agent and turn one of these ^ guys into a decent pick?
Of the 3 mentioned, I would prefer to keep Steele in a heartbeat.

Dunstan might have been captain of the SA under-18 side, but he has struggled for consistency (poor development at our club?)
and he seems to be one-dimensional, and although he has improved, I think he might have hit the plateau and what we are now seeing
is his best, and there's no more to come.

Ross can get a huge amount of the ball, but he is undisciplined (e.g. Power game last yr, last throw-in)
he sometimes can give a very nice kick to advantage, but far far too often, even when he has a lot of time,
he just bombs in without caring where it's going. "Good, another possie in the bank".
If anyone is near him, he panics and just goes bang, or handballs up in the air to someone standing still.

Steele has had bad luck in each preseason, with leg/ankle/foot issues, but he still gets in there and battles hard, you know exactly what you're getting with him.
Give him a solid, decent pre-season, and remember his young age, he has a lot of upside and will only get better.
With a change of assistants, he should flourish and really be a player to be proud of.
Agree on Steele, and I would also let him be the play maker instead of owning someone just occasionally. Did this when he was dropped and took a game apart.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
stonecold
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 3:26pm I think Hickey might be a better captain!. Seb collects 40 possessions as a midfielder/ onballer, and the Essendon onballers Heppell and Merrett are the two best players on the ground against us.
Cancelling out your own argument there!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 3:26pm I think Hickey might be a better captain!. Seb collects 40 possessions as a midfielder/ onballer, and the Essendon onballers Heppell and Merrett are the two best players on the ground against us.
Errr. Riiight!

LOL.

You’ve played footy before?

Was he supposed to be tagging both of them?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CarlD
Club Player

Fox reporting that the Saints have tabled a 5 year near $700k a season deal for Scott Lycett. Eagles looking to talk to Aaron Sandilands.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 7:49pm Fox reporting that the Saints have tabled a 5 year near $700k a season deal for Scott Lycett. Eagles looking to talk to Aaron Sandilands.
Tks Caro what u fink?

“Yeah….nah””
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 6:42pm
Errr. Riiight!

LOL.

You’ve played footy before?

Was he supposed to be tagging both of them?
Yes I have played lots of footy and have the bung knees and hammys to prove it, but I don't think many on this forum have pulled on the footy boots. The history of footy is littered with players who get lots of possession and do bugger all with them. Seb needed to be more on the front foot (as did Steven) and actually have an influence on the game, but I saw nothing captain like in his effort- not having a go at him personally though. I see no real lead-by-example stuff from our guys sadly, and running around like headless chickens, chipping the ball around, kicking to nobody in particular...or to the opposition gives me no joy.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Apparantly we have offered Lycers around 700k for 5 years. I think he is very gettable now as he wants to be a no 1 ruck. He might be chance at the Saints to achieve this.

Now McGovern has signed and Gaff is likely too, maybe our cunning plan was to push out Lycers this entire time!!!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Rama confirms we have spoken to him regarding Menzel but no deal on the table yet.

Confiemd that long term and hefty offers have been tabled to:
Gaff
Hannerbrey
Polec
Lycett

Sure there will be more to come as the FA and trade period looms.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The_President
Club Player

I really hope we’re looking at some youngsters from GWS who are struggling to get a gig, especially in the middle.

Shiel, Ward, Kelly, Coniglio is an extremely dominating midfield and hard for anyone to crack into.

There has to be some other Jack Steele like players that we can look at over there.

The_President
Club Player

I really hope we’re looking at some youngsters from GWS who are struggling to get a gig, especially in the middle.

Shiel, Ward, Kelly, Coniglio is an extremely dominating midfield and hard for anyone to crack into.

There has to be some other Jack Steele like players that we can look at over there.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:09am
dragit wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:21pm
To the top wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 1:42pm We are not in a position to trade

The focus should be on Free Agency - exclusively
We need to be smarter than that.

No star free agents are coming to us in our state.

There will be some interest in Longer, Bruce, Savage & Weller… who we can either trade for players or a mid range pick to take to the draft or combine with other picks to improve our position in the draft.

If our rebuild is drifting significantly we may listen to offers for Steven.

We may decide that Dunstan, Steele, Ross are all too similar, with none of them being really big contested ball winners. Maybe we go for a Mitch Wallis as a free agent and turn one of these ^ guys into a decent pick?
Of the 3 mentioned, I would prefer to keep Steele in a heartbeat.

Dunstan might have been captain of the SA under-18 side, but he has struggled for consistency (poor development at our club?)
and he seems to be one-dimensional, and although he has improved, I think he might have hit the plateau and what we are now seeing
is his best, and there's no more to come.

Steele has had bad luck in each preseason, with leg/ankle/foot issues, but he still gets in there and battles hard, you know exactly what you're getting with him.
Give him a solid, decent pre-season, and remember his young age, he has a lot of upside and will only get better.
With a change of assistants, he should flourish and really be a player to be proud of.
Plus 1. Very good post WS
Agreed - great post.

I guess you'd also have to put Armo in that group though - when we play Armo, Ross and Duntan together (which I cannot believe we do so regularly) then we're effectively playing a 3 of the same player (slow, inside, not great disposal). I'd keep Ross and Steele, trade Dunstan and if we could get a 3rd rounder for Armo then do that to.

Go you red, black & white warriors