New coaches - Skrobalak and Batchelor from Dolphins VFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: New coaches - Skrobalak and Batchelor from Dolphins VFL

Jeans was indeed an appointment "from left field" at the time and not at all rated, he was a serving policeman and it was a very close vote by the board at the time to appoint him as senior coach.

On the subject of coaching appointments for 2019, I sincerely hope that the club also appoint a new Director of Coaching. As I have pointed out before, Danny Sexton has been at the club in coaching and player development roles since 2006 and after 12 years it is surely time for him to be moved on.

I maintain that it is Sexton, rather than Richo, whose head should be on the chopping block because the DoC is in overall charge and control of the team's coaching panel. On match days it is patently clear that Sexton has been in the saddle beside Richo, directing players and playing strategies, and I am not aware of this occurring at any other AFL club. It will be a major contradiction if Sexton remains at the club in 2019 with all the high calibre assistants that are being brought in to support Richardson. I wish there was a way that we could get this message across to Simon Lethlean.....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Peanut Farm wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 3:05pm The biggest flop at the Saints second to Richo has (was) been Peta Searle - absolutely horrendous development of players.
How wouldyou know?

Peanut Farm
Club Player

saintly wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 3:39pm
Peanut Farm wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 3:05pm The biggest flop at the Saints second to Richo has (was) been Peta Searle - absolutely horrendous development of players.
How wouldyou know?
What players developed under Peta? A flop and no longer in the role, yeh?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 3:09pm Jeans was indeed an appointment "from left field" at the time and not at all rated, he was a serving policeman and it was a very close vote by the board at the time to appoint him as senior coach.

On the subject of coaching appointments for 2019, I sincerely hope that the club also appoint a new Director of Coaching. As I have pointed out before, Danny Sexton has been at the club in coaching and player development roles since 2006 and after 12 years it is surely time for him to be moved on.

I maintain that it is Sexton, rather than Richo, whose head should be on the chopping block because the DoC is in overall charge and control of the team's coaching panel. On match days it is patently clear that Sexton has been in the saddle beside Richo, directing players and playing strategies, and I am not aware of this occurring at any other AFL club. It will be a major contradiction if Sexton remains at the club in 2019 with all the high calibre assistants that are being brought in to support Richardson. I wish there was a way that we could get this message across to Simon Lethlean.....
Sanctorum, your sustained posting for the removal of Danny Sexton has been consistent, sustained & specific in your rationale. If not a member of the Richardson clan I applaud your determination.

Perhaps we can get the quinella and be rid of both Richardson & Sexton?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

How highly are they regarded within AFL circles?

chico2001
Club Player

dragit wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 4:50pm How highly are they regarded within AFL circles?
I cant answer that and I doubt anyone else can either. Certainly not based on any success at St Kilda that is for sure. I really have an issue with the number of coaches they have, quality will beat quantity anywhere and anytime.

But hey, Allan Jeans came from obscurity and look how he ended up although it was 1961, all those 58 years ago....here's hoping.

I am sure our posters can understand the comparison between he and they.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

We needed full time development coaches. We now have them. Keep the overhaul rolling St.KFC!

Can’t wait to see what the trade/draft period has to offer for the Saints. 8 spots free with only 1 draft pick. I wonder who has committed.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 4:15pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 3:09pm Jeans was indeed an appointment "from left field" at the time and not at all rated, he was a serving policeman and it was a very close vote by the board at the time to appoint him as senior coach.

Sanctorum, your sustained posting for the removal of Danny Sexton has been consistent, sustained & specific in your rationale. If not a member of the Richardson clan I applaud your determination.

Perhaps we can get the quinella and be rid of both Richardson & Sexton?
Thanks Joffa and no, I have never even met Richo as I live in Brisbane, and whilst I can understand the feelings expressed on this forum to have Richo sacked forthwith, I am prepared, given that the club has backed him to remain in charge at the start of next season, to keep an open mind on his future. I am in no doubt that if by round 6 the Saints have not shown a complete recovery in performance that the club will act swiftly to replace him with Brett Ratten.

In any case, if the team does continue to under perform I can't imagine that Richo would want to stay on because the noise from members and supporters, amplified in the media, will make his tenure untenable.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 5:37pm We needed full time development coaches. We now have them. Keep the overhaul rolling St.KFC!

Can’t wait to see what the trade/draft period has to offer for the Saints. 8 spots free with only 1 draft pick. I wonder who has committed.
And how does this work? We have two picks (round 1 and round 4 I believe) so how do the other 6 players get picked up to make a full list which is required?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Ratten and Lade wouldn't have come too cheaply, so I suspect Batchelor was the cheapest way to get Richmond IP. Skrobalak is an odd decision though - our rucks have been a shambles and Lade would surely be a better mentor to them.

takeaway
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 10:53pm
prwilkinson wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 5:37pm We needed full time development coaches. We now have them. Keep the overhaul rolling St.KFC!

And how does this work? We have two picks (round 1 and round 4 I believe) so how do the other 6 players get picked up to make a full list which is required?
We have picks 3 (will be 4) , picks 57,61,63,75.

May be able to cobble together 3 or 4 later picks for an earlier pick from club who needs points.
Future picks available.
Free Agency - Menzel?

It is obvious our trading will be active, and depending on where the club thinks our list sits, could gain draft picks by

Steven - first round
Dunstan - 2nd/3rd
Hickey/Longer - 2nd/3rd
Lonie - 3rd
Weller - 3rd
Newnes - 2nd?/3rd

There would be plenty of other possibilities. Not saying I agree with all the above, ie would hate to see Steven go, but if the club think we are more than 3 years away from finals/challenging, then trading him at his age is obvious, even though we lose senior experience. It would also help the Richo haters as losing Steven would dent our chances of moving up the ladder in 2019.

If we trade BOTH Longer & Hickey, which I think is most unlikely, we would need another ruck. Prefer to keep Billy over Hickey, but Billy's contract expires this year.

Interesting times ahead, and will probably be a bit sad for many supporters.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I know nothing of these two but I doubt they could be worse than our last lot.I will give them a years Grace as well as it will take time to turn the ship around.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

does this mean Choco isnt getting a gig as Development Coach ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
minneapolis
Club Player

dragit wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 4:50pm How highly are they regarded within AFL circles?
Parky? Can you answer this please?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 4:07am Batchelor is a nobody.
Played 84 games for Tigers over 7 years, got delisted at end of 2017.

Still young, 26 years old.
Why give him a gig on the coaching panel?
What the hell has he done?
Maybe he has a good football brain god forbid.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL