Geary still skipper for 2019? Hannebery VC?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary still skipper for 2019? Hannebery VC?

Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Dec 2018 12:04am
saynta wrote: Fri 07 Dec 2018 9:11pm Funny, I thought banger did a stint as captain.

From 2001 to 2003 inclusive.actually.
Yep, Banger captained and so did Lendog before GT decided the best thing for our long term success was to help the younger guys share and rotate the captaincy. They were both selfless leaders ( and I reckon for most of the Lyon years Lenny was our spiritual leader even thogh Rooy was captain). Lenny should've probably captained for much longer stints, but I believe both he and Banger did what their coaches wanted and what the club demanded

In hindsight, I think Lenny should have taken over from Roo when Maddy was first diagnosed. Not sure if it would have made any difference in 2010, but perhaps we wouldn't have had such a rapid decline if a different captain was in charge in 2011 and up until Lenny Hayes retired. Another lesson to be learned imo.

What a terrible post.

I'm not a GT fan but you are re-writing history there. Lenny got the captaincy gig because of the rotation, not taken off him like you have stated.

And to suggest Roo being captain during a difficult time in his private life is the reason for our decline - or that we could have just done better is an extremely flippant and ignorant statement. How pathetic.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 12:51am
Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Dec 2018 12:04am
saynta wrote: Fri 07 Dec 2018 9:11pm Funny, I thought banger did a stint as captain.

From 2001 to 2003 inclusive.actually.
Yep, Banger captained and so did Lendog before GT decided the best thing for our long term success was to help the younger guys share and rotate the captaincy. They were both selfless leaders ( and I reckon for most of the Lyon years Lenny was our spiritual leader even thogh Rooy was captain). Lenny should've probably captained for much longer stints, but I believe both he and Banger did what their coaches wanted and what the club demanded

In hindsight, I think Lenny should have taken over from Roo when Maddy was first diagnosed. Not sure if it would have made any difference in 2010, but perhaps we wouldn't have had such a rapid decline if a different captain was in charge in 2011 and up until Lenny Hayes retired. Another lesson to be learned imo.

What a terrible post.

I'm not a GT fan but you are re-writing history there. Lenny got the captaincy gig because of the rotation, not taken off him like you have stated.

And to suggest Roo being captain during a difficult time in his private life is the reason for our decline - or that we could have just done better is an extremely flippant and ignorant statement. How pathetic.

What a righteous, presumptuous and pompous judgemental post.

Sorry, not rewriting history at all. I probably should have worded the bit about GT better.

How pathetic that you think we aren't allowed to have an opinion. Is it not a fact that our head coach bemoaned the lack of onfield leadership this year? Who was our captain before Geary and you'd think that naturally if he's in the role for over 10 years he'd have to be a role model for emerging leaders? I would have thought that Richo wouldn't have made that statement if he thought that Roo had done an outstanding job.

Sometimes you have to cop the good with the bad. If we had won a premiership with Rooy as captain he'd have been recognised as a great leader as well as a great player, but unfortunately we fell short. The fact that he was our captain during the slide down the ladder, unfortunately he has to cop some of the responsibility as one of the leaders of the footy club. Simple as that. People may say that he wasn't in control of the salary cap situation or the list management troubles etc. but perhaps that is also a cop out....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96537&p=1764808&hil ... y#p1764808

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Ross captain with Hannebery VC. Ross seems like very driven and serious individual who would set standards and thrive under the pressure while Hanners would be an experienced voice for Ross to lean on but also more 'one of the lads' who the rest of the group would have an affinity with. Geary, Steven, Roberton, Carlisle to make up the rest of the leadership group.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 9:54pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 8:04pm
stonecold wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 9:41pm The playing group vote on it, so I'm sure they'll make the correct decision, not some wannabes nobodies on here!!!!! ;)
Curious that you joined a saints fan forum with that attitude.

Maybe join or start your own website... type facts only after they occur. Seems it would be more up your alley
Wannabe Nobody!!!!!

Your type keep debating the real experts, as long as it makes you feel special!!!!!
Heaven forbid I join a forum to talk football and debate stuff...

The name of your forum could be “Tell me how to think”

stonecold
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 6:55am
stonecold wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 9:54pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 11 Dec 2018 8:04pm
stonecold wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 9:41pm The playing group vote on it, so I'm sure they'll make the correct decision, not some wannabes nobodies on here!!!!! ;)
Curious that you joined a saints fan forum with that attitude.

Maybe join or start your own website... type facts only after they occur. Seems it would be more up your alley
Wannabe Nobody!!!!!

Your type keep debating the real experts, as long as it makes you feel special!!!!!
Heaven forbid I join a forum to talk football and debate stuff...

The name of your forum could be “Tell me how to think”
Whatever!!!!!

The name of your forum could be ' it's all about me'!!!!!

Merry X'mas MOFO!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯