What are the qualities of our coaching that people rate and respect?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: What are the qualities of our coaching that people rate and respect?

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:04pm
Jacks Back wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:52pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:34pm He has a good public image. Nothing about him is controversial. Safe. Good bloke. Etc.
I think he means football wise.
I couldn’t think of any.
And I would hazard a guess and say you don't have fox footy

Seeya
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:14pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 3:50pm
I can confirm he is widely respected. Regarded as a good coach but does get things wrong. Who's perfect.
The worst performed coach in the history of the AFL still coaching because his contract was extended when it clearly should not have been.
He is now going into his sixth season as "coach" with the worst record in AFL history at around 33% win/loss ratio.

Alan Richardson is desperately trying to hold onto his gig as an AFL coach and decisions are being made for the short term at the expense of the longer term.
I firmly believe Richardson is the kryptonite that sucks the life and energy out of the playing group.
It must be so uninspiring listening to his monotone drone year in year out.
Knowing he is in the crosshairs would understandably compromise his decision making.
I also believe this uncertainty and fear around losing his job would energetically be effecting the playing group.
The players confidence and decision making, goal kicking and skill execution would be affected by having a coach in this precarious predicament permeating the whole environment of the football club.

I do not believe Alan Richardson is suited to being a senior coach.
IMHO, it's not in his DNA to be a leader of men.
His communication skills seem to be limited to trite cliche's and he seems to me to be a follower of trends and incapable of innovation.

After five years as senior coach with a 33% win loss ratio, it's an inditement on the competence of those charged with making decisions that he is still there going into a sixth season.
People have bemoaned and complained about there being a lack of leadership within the playing group.
After five seasons and six preseasons who is to blame for this?
Hey this is completey unrelated but were you part of the orange brigade all those years ago?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:14pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:04pm
Jacks Back wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:52pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:34pm He has a good public image. Nothing about him is controversial. Safe. Good bloke. Etc.
I think he means football wise.
I couldn’t think of any.
And I would hazard a guess and say you don't have fox footy
I have fox footy. I was close to cancelling it when our coach was a regular guest.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:28pm Hey this is completey unrelated but were you part of the orange brigade all those years ago?
What is the orange brigade?

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:37pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:28pm Hey this is completey unrelated but were you part of the orange brigade all those years ago?
What is the orange brigade?
The Giants cheer squad?

GilsAuPair
Club Player

His coaching is strong, positive and pleasing.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 3:50pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 3:39pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 1:04pm Richo is very highly respected by the majority of players.
This is an extremely broad statement but one that appears based on first hand account.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate?

Which players make the majority that highly respect Richo?

Which make up the minority who do not respect him highly?

Of the majority, what aspects of his coaching and him as a person do they highly respect?

Is it uniform qualities or is it different things per player?
I can confirm he is widely respected. Regarded as a good coach but does get things wrong. Who's perfect.
Thanks for the confirmation Cairnsman.

I request of you you the same referred to Ted.

Can you please provide some information or data to support this statement?

I personally would like some proof that God really fixed Sams mums cateracts.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Look obviously there are plenty with vested interests that want AR to coach forever. But their interests are not Saint Kilda supporters interests. Winning games, developing players, being competitive, having a footy style that shows the application of intelligence above that of the average punter might be more specifically helpful than popularity with those working in the shelter of the club. I know so many lovely guys but wouldn't want them to coach and they know their limitations. Did SEN ask AR if he still thinks he is a good coach, and if so why. He is our version of Teresa May, but I concede we do have an Irish backstop in place.

takeaway
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 8:10pm Look obviously there are plenty with vested interests that want AR to coach forever. But their interests are not Saint Kilda supporters interests. Winning games, developing players, being competitive, having a footy style that shows the application of intelligence above that of the average punter might be more specifically helpful than popularity with those working in the shelter of the club. I know so many lovely guys but wouldn't want them to coach and they know their limitations. Did SEN ask AR if he still thinks he is a good coach, and if so why. He is our version of Teresa May, but I concede we do have an Irish backstop in place.
Don't know where you get that from. Who?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Good question.

Crossy66
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 8:48pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 8:10pm Look obviously there are plenty with vested interests that want AR to coach forever. But their interests are not Saint Kilda supporters interests. Winning games, developing players, being competitive, having a footy style that shows the application of intelligence above that of the average punter might be more specifically helpful than popularity with those working in the shelter of the club. I know so many lovely guys but wouldn't want them to coach and they know their limitations. Did SEN ask AR if he still thinks he is a good coach, and if so why. He is our version of Teresa May, but I concede we do have an Irish backstop in place.
I have a vested interest in seeing him being a premiership coach

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 9:57pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 8:48pm
I have a vested interest in seeing him being a premiership coach
I have an interesting vest.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Vestees? CEO, Newnes, Lonie, Savage, Sinclair, Medical staff, recruiting staff, Board, Lethlean, Sexton, office staff, media liaison, boot studder, HR employment contracts officer, soft cap analysist, Paddy, Jack Bytel, every other Afl coach, high performance group, goal kicking coach, ruck coach, AFL HQ, Paul Roos , Dan Hannebury, Player Manager Communications Officer, most of Tasmania, Lord Vesty, guy who backed AR to hold worst coaching record ever over 3 or more seasons and works in the pokies section, lady that designed the annual report, club accountant, Harvard, Marvel Stadium cleaners.....

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 1:04pm Richo is very highly respected by the majority of players.
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 3:50pm I can confirm he is widely respected. Regarded as a good coach but does get things wrong. Who's perfect.

Thanks again guys for the inside view from the players perspective.

You might have missed my previous questions so I thought I’d put it forward again.

I’d love to know what in particular the majority of players respect about Richo and who makes up that group.

Of the minority who don’t highly respect him what are their issues and how is the coach working through these?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

No idea about player opinions but one other quality I'd mention is the one he's currently getting bagged for - honesty. If I was playing for him I'd be very pleased to be able to believe what he was telling me and not have to second-guess it all.

Nothing worse than a boss who, instead of saying what he really thinks, keeps coming at it different ways to see what happens to press the right buttons.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 3:50pm I can confirm he is widely respected. Regarded as a good coach but does get things wrong. Who's perfect.

Thanks again guys for the inside view from the players perspective.

You might have missed my previous questions so I thought I’d put it forward again.

I’d love to know what in particular the majority of players respect about Richo and who makes up that group.

Of the minority who don’t highly respect him what are their issues and how is the coach working through these?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Because I know that and I won't say how.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
GilsAuPair
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 4:06pm Because I know that and I won't say how.
PM from tony74?
Did he conduct an anonymous survey on the list?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Negative. Tony has never sent me a PM and show some respect for a genuine insider that shows little bias. Thank you.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 4:06pm Because I know that and I won't say how.
Ouija board ?

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

👍😂😂😂

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

👍

Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Damien Barrett?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Selecting Jack Steven today, coz otherwise we would have lost?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Shaggy
Club Player

GilsAuPair wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:04am
Shaggy wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 11:03pm We really bombed last year and yet our key players stayed.

When Carlton bombed under Malthouse players ran despite Malthouse being a multiple flag coach.

There is a real relationship and trust between coach and players at the Saints which is so important to success.

I really do not care about short term failure. It creates change and hunger.

Relationship between Richo and the players is key and my understanding is we have it in spades.
Name one good player who ran from Carlton in 2015?????
Just one.
Gibbs left after 2016 which was Bolton's first year.

This makes no sense. Players stay at bottom 5 clubs because they get paid well. If they went to a top 5 club they would be paid less.
This is simply a fact.
May and Lynch left bottom ranked clubs in 2018. In 2017 it was Gibbs, Ablett and Saad. Money is always only a part of the story.

Steven, Billings, Gresham and Acres were heavily chased in the off season. They have all stayed.

Very good players left Carlton under Malthouse, Lions under Voss and Melbourne under Neeld. Those clubs imploded.

Currently it is only a minority of our supporter base who have imploded.