Brandon White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brandon White

lewdogs wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 10:28pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 8:27pm
SuperDuper wrote: Fri 03 May 2019 9:14am He is not even emergency... was BOG for Sandy in their last game..

Will leave for the Hawks at the end of the year and will be a gun there...
Bump

Brandon White has been playing consistently well at VFL level and has been discriminated against by his coach. Bloody play the kid Cho!!

Webster out should have meant White in

This is what we mean by integrity of team selection. It doesn't make any sense if Marsh is played as a forward against his old club.

Jimmy Webster is out of the team and he needs to replaced by a backman. It's the perfect opportunity for White to fill a void and play his role.
Marsh will play back. Was bog in the VFL last week playing back. White stiff but Marsh looks a really good prospect.
Thanks for the info. I'll reserve any more opinions until the game

SuperDuper
Club Player

Richo really must not like White.

Seems the perfect replacement for Webster, still cannot get a game.

Phillips did far less at VFL level, yet came in. Paton as well... Young far far less at VFL level this year.

White BOG in 2 of the last three VFL games.

We will lose him to the hawks and he will become a star

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what he has to be to get a senior game. Always been impressed with his performances when he comes into the team.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

White is certainly getting possessions at Sandy but is he beating his player? Honest question. From what Ive seen he provides decent contest when the ball is in dispute and runs into supportive positions but can he defend? Can he lockdown a forward. Hind strikes me a bit the same.
Wilkie, Battle and Webster are very good at this, Geary is a gun defender and Savage has improved but provides much more than that.
I believe that this might be what keeps him out. He was behind Roberton and Savage. Now he is behind Wilkie and Savage.
I always thought he would transition into the midfield early on. Looks like that hasnt happened either. Coffield will probably pass him too.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 5:30pm White is certainly getting possessions at Sandy but is he beating his player? Honest question. From what Ive seen he provides decent contest when the ball is in dispute and runs into supportive positions but can he defend? Can he lockdown a forward. Hind strikes me a bit the same.
Wilkie, Battle and Webster are very good at this, Geary is a gun defender and Savage has improved but provides much more than that.
I believe that this might be what keeps him out. He was behind Roberton and Savage. Now he is behind Wilkie and Savage.
I always thought he would transition into the midfield early on. Looks like that hasnt happened either. Coffield will probably pass him too.
Interesting question you asked... could he be a lockdown forward?

Too bad that instead of trying it, we instead chose we play an injured Weller to a mediocre standard for 20 weeks

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Funny how there are certain standards that only apply to Brandon, or only apply to defenders

Don't forwards have an important role when it comes to locking down?

Don't midfielders have to defend?

Last year when Newnesy had a handful of tackles in about 5-6 matches, was he dropped?

Last week when Seb Ross had a stack of possessions, were his effective disposals as damaging as his midfield counterpart? According to the coaches association votes it seems not.

And also during the match last week when Seb Ross had zero tackles, how is that treating him the same as Brandon?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Named as an emergency again this week. He will get there.

Emergencies:

Billy Longer

Ben Long

Brandon White

Nicholas Hind

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Official stats say he is quite big and strong which are qualities we need. But back 6 and first understudies have been pretty good this year. Patience grasshopper.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 6:51pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 5:30pm White is certainly getting possessions at Sandy but is he beating his player? Honest question. From what Ive seen he provides decent contest when the ball is in dispute and runs into supportive positions but can he defend? Can he lockdown a forward. Hind strikes me a bit the same.

Too bad that instead of trying it, we instead chose we play an injured Weller to a mediocre standard for 20 weeks
Weller only played 13 games last year and was consistently good for 1 and s*** the next 2. However, in general stats and even defensively, as a forward, Weller out ranked White during his own 6 games as a defender. The biggest feature of his game is rebounding which we all know rarely transposes into attack.
Hindsight is 20/20 but that sort of genius was clearly missing last year but was definitely in scope when we drafted Young and Parker. I will leave you to ponder that on your own.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 6:55pm Funny how there are certain standards that only apply to Brandon, or only apply to defenders

Last year when Newnesy had a handful of tackles in about 5-6 matches, was he dropped?

Last week when Seb Ross had a stack of possessions, were his effective disposals as damaging as his midfield counterpart? According to the coaches association votes it seems not.

And also during the match last week when Seb Ross had zero tackles, how is that treating him the same as Brandon?
I see what you are saying but I think your comparisons are intentionally a little dramatic.
Are you suggesting White should replace either of these 2 or are you suggesting that based on equity and his body of work, White should be considered for selection the same way as Newnes and Ross are?
A quick age comparison on stats should straighten up your logic and bring you back to reality.
Im guessing you are also suggesting that White has been poorly developed.
I'd suggest his that strengths are solid but his application to his own development might be lacking. Just my opinion though.
I do hope he gets an extension though.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 8:32pm

Weller only played 13 games last year and was consistently good for 1 and s*** the next 2. However, in general stats and even defensively, as a forward, Weller out ranked White during his own 6 games as a defender. The biggest feature of his game is rebounding which we all know rarely transposes into attack.
Hindsight is 20/20 but that sort of genius was clearly missing last year but was definitely in scope when we drafted Young and Parker. I will leave you to ponder that on your own.
In fairness I was referring more to 2017... and my gripe was a bit more to do with a long standing pet peeve of accepting a consistent if mediocre performances vs accepting a few bad performances from a developing player in the hope that they raise the bar with development.

My sense with White is that he has a lot of potential and is the type of player that maybe in a year or two you’d wish played 25-30 games more earlier. It’s not a like for like interchange though I guess

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 8:48pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 6:55pm Funny how there are certain standards that only apply to Brandon, or only apply to defenders

I see what you are saying but I think your comparisons are intentionally a little dramatic.
Are you suggesting White should replace either of these 2 or are you suggesting that based on equity and his body of work, White should be considered for selection the same way as Newnes and Ross are?
A quick age comparison on stats should straighten up your logic and bring you back to reality.
I'd suggest his that strengths are solid but his application to his own development might be lacking. Just my opinion though.
I suspect this may be the case

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 9:19pm

In fairness I was referring more to 2017
Was that the year Brandon turned up with increased skinfolds and bad conditioning from.the off season.?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 9:27pm

Was that the year Brandon turned up with increased skinfolds and bad conditioning from.the off season.?
You may be right. Better than a busted ankle I guess but point to you CQ

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 9:34pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 May 2019 9:27pm

You may be right. Better than a busted ankle I guess but point to you CQ
Look I love the kid. I think he has some strengths that we can use. Fierce attack on the ball and a lovely left foot. He looks very onesided and a bit one dimensional though. Obviously he is improving and should continue that way.
I hope he takes his next chance by the horns and gives it 110%. Could be anything but despite a couple of runs at it so far, there has clearly been a lack of confidence in him which has now been compounded by Wilkie and Marsh working themselves into favour quickly and at the other end Parker and Young coming with good State League pedigrees and a fierce desire to make the grade.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

If Webster requires surgery to his hand, he won't be back for a while, so White will get his chance,

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the replies. I agree with most of what you say but I'd prefer you quit with the inference that your grasp of reality and your grasp of logic is superior to others.

Don't you love it when you have facts and statistics being compared and one guy says to the other guy that your statistics are 'a little dramatic'. Kind of like what last century's typical male had been saying to women instead of just focussing on the facts and the issue at hand

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 12:22pm

Thanks for the replies. I agree with most of what you say but I'd prefer you quit with the inference that your grasp of reality and your grasp of logic is superior to others.

Don't you love it when you have facts and statistics being compared and one guy says to the other guy that your statistics are 'a little dramatic'. Kind of like what last century's typical male had been saying to women instead of just focussing on the facts and the issue at hand
I thought you were talking about standards and relating the efforts of a 10 game player with 2 current veterans. IMHO that defies logic, seems unrealistic and a little dramatic. Im sorry if pointing that out ou ffended you, that was not my intent.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So ...after the fact that you have offended me...you now just want to debate the issues.

I think enough has been said. Move on

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 12:22pm

Oh, and I just asked my wife, born last century and a mad Saint supporter, she thinks we are both silly and that your comparison between Ross, Newnes and White was clutching at straws.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 1:12pm So ...after the fact that you have offended me...you now just want to debate the issues.

I think enough has been said. Move on
Lol 🤗

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

White is just not good enough at the moment to be getting a game. Paton and Wilkie are ahead of him.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.