Richo.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Richo.......

Yes we will.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ss1986 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:05pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 11:59am My mistake, Annoyedsaint - you actually joined the forum last October when you had a much different opinion of our coach:

Still don't have a single name of any Saints player that has wanted to leave under Richo's watch. 5 years now. Coming on 6. Still don't have anything (other than normal stuff) as to why a host of players have decided and were happy to switch over to the Saints under Richo's watch. 5 years now too. ...

So, why are you such an annoyed saint when have won 4 of 8? Better than the 4 of 22 we had won when you gave Richo that glowing endorsement, I would have thought.
Maybe because he can see that 4 wins is like putting lipstick on a pig....

Gold Coast, Melbourne, Hawthorn and Essendon- all distinctly average teams... in fact, they are absolute garbage, and if we DIDNT beat them looking at the way they are performing, you’d be mightily hacked off.

The jungle drums are getting louder.....
Those drums may be in your head. In regard to distinctly average teams, there's not a lot of difference between all the teams with the exception of 2 or 3. Geelong been a cut above and before the weekend I would have said GWS & Collingwood.

However, GWS were flogged by Hawthorn and couldn't score in good conditions, whilst Collingwood didn't beat Carlton, Carlton lost it. West Coast may be when they get Natanui back. So any win this season is a good one.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

If you want to talk injury lists, look at Richmond.
Their reserves side would beat us.
I could recruit better than our fools. Back myself to take a better stab in the dark without looking at any games. Bet they get paid top dollar too.
💩💩💩💩

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Oh, brother.

Someone is clutching at straws.

You couldn’t pay me to write such nonsense.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Enlighten me Pav. Explain where I’m wrong?
One of our longest serving coaches for 0 (yes, 0) finals.
This is professional sport, you need to be ruthless and cut and change until things work. Repeating the same shite every year and expecting things to change? Now that is nonsense.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The Alanbomb* (trademark pending) game plan still needs some tinkering after 5 years. Give him another 5 and it might almost be sorted out.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 9:59pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 9:45pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 11:59am My mistake, Annoyedsaint - you actually joined the forum last October when you had a much different opinion of our coach:

Still don't have a single name of any Saints player that has wanted to leave under Richo's watch. 5 years now. Coming on 6. Still don't have anything (other than normal stuff) as to why a host of players have decided and were happy to switch over to the Saints under Richo's watch. 5 years now too. ...

So, why are you such an annoyed saint when have won 4 of 8? Better than the 4 of 22 we had won when you gave Richo that glowing endorsement, I would have thought.

Gold Coast, Melbourne, Hawthorn and Essendon- all distinctly average teams... in fact, they are absolute garbage, and if we DIDNT beat them looking at the way they are performing, you’d be mightily hacked off.

Hawthorn beat GWS today and easily. They beat a flag favourite flying and we beat the Hawks.
All due respect Ted but you & I know thats not how it works & Clarkson is a way better coach than Richo IMO anyway
Nah mate. Clarko hasn't got a team of misfits. Clarko is lucky because their young blokes have learnt over the years from stars like Mitchell and Hodge and Roughy and Burgoyne.

Clarko got lucky that his players wanted to move clubs. They were at the end of their careers and all the players like Scully and Tommy Mitchell and Jaeger that choose to move clubs and go to Hawthorn didn't do it because of Clarko. They did it because their favourite colours are brown and yellow

Richo is a trendsetter. And I'm not just talking about his superior game plan that has had his misfits overachieving. Clarko got his idea to axe Roughead after Cho axed Nathan Brown. Park aside the stats on win loss, park aside the finals and the premierships, Richo and Clarko are basically equal

Richo has the runs on the board. We've done really well with such a pathetic list of no hopers. He's had such a bad run of bad luck with injuries and far far worse and for each year he has coached and you can't begin to understand how poor the list is and how devoid of skills and confidence some of the players are. It's a wonder how Richo even puts up with them

Ape_Man
Club Player

guitars4 wrote:
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 10:03pm How what works?

We beat Melbourne, Hawthorn and Essendon who are all finals challengers this year. Gold Coast have been a tough opponent for everyone too.

We only just lost to Freo and should have won. Another finals contender.

Plus we we were not far off Adelaide and West Coast who are top 8 sides.

I think we have done well to be 4-4.
We beat Richmond by 10 goals the year they won the flag & we didn't even make the 8 . :wink:
To be fair, after that game we were outside the top 4 on percentage.

After that game is when the world caved in.

suss
Club Player

Listen to Richo speak about the game and note his use of the word “strong” (you have to wait for the Coaches Message to come up):

https://m.saints.com.au/news/2019-05-09 ... vfl-return

Then listen to this guy who wasn’t sure about coaching in the Premier League because he was worried about his English:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5kvcABU_E

We are going nowhere...
Last edited by suss on Sun 12 May 2019 11:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
guitars4 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 9:59pm

Hawthorn beat GWS today and easily. They beat a flag favourite flying and we beat the Hawks.
All due respect Ted but you & I know thats not how it works & Clarkson is a way better coach than Richo IMO anyway
Nah mate. Clarko hasn't got a team of misfits. Clarko is lucky because their young blokes have learnt over the years from stars like Mitchell and Hodge and Roughy and Burgoyne.

Clarko got lucky that his players wanted to move clubs. They were at the end of their careers and all the players like Scully and Tommy Mitchell and Jaeger that choose to move clubs and go to Hawthorn didn't do it because of Clarko. They did it because their favourite colours are brown and yellow

Richo is a trendsetter. And I'm not just talking about his superior game plan that has had his misfits overachieving. Clarko got his idea to axe Roughead after Cho axed Nathan Brown. Park aside the stats on win loss, park aside the finals and the premierships, Richo and Clarko are basically equal

Richo has the runs on the board. We've done really well with such a pathetic list of no hopers. He's had such a bad run of bad luck with injuries and far far worse and for each year he has coached and you can't begin to understand how poor the list is and how devoid of skills and confidence some of the players are. It's a wonder how Richo even puts up with them
I thanked you because this is a beautiful rant.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cheers. It's therapeutic

Sometimes you are better of venting your spleen and going off rather than trying to debate some people

You're trying to use reason and logic and it's pointless

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 12 May 2019 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Anyone who is half serious knows he’s a lemon and we are only still with him because we are cash strapped.
Finnis should be hung by his balls for that decision.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 10:54pm Enlighten me Pav. Explain where I’m wrong?
One of our longest serving coaches for 0 (yes, 0) finals.
This is professional sport, you need to be ruthless and cut and change until things work. Repeating the same shite every year and expecting things to change? Now that is nonsense.
My post wasn’t directed at you. I’m just as frustrated.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Fairly obvious to most that the slight improvement on last season & new found desire of some of the players is on the back of the new assistants & has very little to do with the head coach.

The transition has begun & it’s inevitable we have a new coach next season. Rats undertaking a working interview & is effectively the acting head coach. I think Rats will formally take over at years end unless someone else better is available.

Decision was likely made after last year’s review with the club choosing to retain Richo instead of paying him out. The decent start to the year probably caught a few off guard but sitting 12th on the ladder we are about where expected.

Improvement must not be measured from last year to this year. Last year was a train wreck. The fact of the matter is Richo hasn’t improved this side since 2016. He’s had the club treading water & failing to improve obvious deficiencies. It’s time someone else had a crack.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 11:41pm Cheers. It's therapeutic

Sometimes you are better of venting your spleen and going off rather than trying to debate some people

You're trying to use reason and logic and it's pointless

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain.
Yes, I agree, keep trying though.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If we could miraculously get our injured players on the park (including the indefinite ones like Roberton, McCartin and Steven)- we would be a whole different proposition.
We'd be playing finals this year.

But, in any case ...
We should start doing what the three-peat club does (and other successful clubs do) - and that's start poaching the best available ready made A grade talent - like the Hawks did with Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully .. (now they're talking to Coniglio).

That's the way you get ahead - you can't turn ordinary and unskilled players into elite A graders, no coach can do that.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 13 May 2019 10:36am, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Alan, Alan, Alan.....easily the most talked about individual at the club on here (from some). 🙄🙄🙄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 10:36am Alan, Alan, Alan.....easily the most talked about individual at the club on here (from some). 🙄🙄🙄
See, that's the problem ... we should be talking about "the poach" instead.
That's what makes the difference - the recruiting - which should include the raiding of A grade talent!
Coaches are a nil all draw.
-
Last edited by samoht on Mon 13 May 2019 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

samoht wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 10:40am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 10:36am Alan, Alan, Alan.....easily the most talked about individual at the club on here (from some). 🙄🙄🙄
See, that's the problem ... we should be talking about "the poach" instead.
That's what makes the difference!
Coaches are a nil all draw.
-
You would think we were 0-8 given the Alan, Alan, Alan talk on here.

Total = 1.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

It is not a level playing field - we are way behind the eight ball when it comes to poaching A grade talent - the other successful teams like the Hawks have well and truly stolen the march on us.

WAKE UP ST KILDA FC!

We need to start leveling the playing field and start landing big fish (we probably need to land 3 or 4 together now to level things up).

Take out the talent that Clarko's Hawks have poached and they'd be a bottom 4 team. Clarko is a great poach - that's what I credit him for (if he is the reason the Hawks are a destination club).

We are wasting our energy on perennially scapegoating the coach (whoever it is at any given time).

The poach should be foremost on our minds. Is it the recruiters or the coach's fault that we're not a destination club (if Richo's mainly to blame, then I agree he should go)?
Last edited by samoht on Mon 13 May 2019 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.

outside66
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 10:07pm

And we got reamed by GWS just last week. Stop being an absolute peanut.
Reamed is abit of a stretch. If Parker nails that shot then we were flying home. Instead he hits the post, GWS get gifted the worst 50 of the year and kick a goal = wind right out of the sails. We don't make enough of our chances and if we did then there's absolutely no question that we could've won every game this year. It's frustrating for sure, but at least the effort is there. We look a completely different outfit to last year and if we can jag a couple more wins before the bye then bring on Carlisle, Gears, Hannaz, and hopefully Steven.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Did you bother to read the thread title? Instead of rolling your eyes & baiting feel free to ignore this thread if you don’t wish to discuss the coach.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 10:31am If we could miraculously get our injured players on the park (including the indefinite ones like Roberton, McCartin and Steven)- we would be a whole different proposition.
We'd be playing finals this year.

But, in any case ...
We should start doing what the three-peat club does (and other successful clubs do) - and that's start poaching the best available ready made A grade talent - like the Hawks did with Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully .. (now they're talking to Coniglio).

That's the way you get ahead - you can't turn ordinary and unskilled players into elite A graders, no coach can do that.
I doubt any of those three players pull on the St Kilda jumper again. Certainly the first two.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 11:31am Time to go. Seriously...how many more games of that shite do we have to suffer through. Embarrassing he has survived this long.

While I’m at it...
Dunstan - list clogger of the highest order
Newnes - been there far too long for zero return. Incredibly disappointing player
Long - overhyped player. A tackle and fluke goal with5 possessions every week doesn’t cut it!!!
Kent - not much of a fan, too slow, cannot kick!! An arsey goal again doesn’t cut it!!
Phillips - typical we get the dud brother. I lost count of the times he turned it over

I could go on....so over these bulltish performances year in year out.
Rubbish, pure rubbish.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So what insights would the newish stats expert have brought to the table: our median profile is 10 goals 10 points a game. With our limited shots for goal, say 20 a game, only 5 a quarter, one every 6 minutes or thereabouts, we are too inefficient to ever make the 8. Teams that put 3 or more goals on us in a row more often than not can be confident they have us beat - we just can't score 3+ goals a quarter over any stretch of games. Players are stereotyped to positions and worthiness to play firsts, radical restructuring during a game is unheard of unless injury forces. That is, Alan's (Richo…….) approach is sterile, unentertaining, boring, predicable, frustrating and immensely disappointing to members. Goodness knows what sponsors think. Not good in general for a competitive professional sport that sees itself in the entertainment business. Terrible for the Club concerned. Chinese might appreciate it, they play the long game. I hope they turn up to see our 100 year plan in action. So if it is accepted (and clearly many don't) that we need many more shots at goal given our inefficiency or we need to become more efficient with those few we have, or a combination of both, could we not try Battle at FF (can mark/kick straight); Marshall CHF strong presence good mark/kick; Steele an attacking centre, Brown is reasonable at FB and Joyce might be able to be an adequate mobile CHB until the cavalry gets here. Pierce if he recovers to ruck otherwise Billy. We have goodish players that can support them. Putting arguably our best two forward prospects (M. King acknowledged as the heir apparent in due course) where they cannot be attacking weapons while sliding inexorably down the table seems self defeating Richo….? But perhaps he knows he is now a lame duck and is too bloody minded to change. Its the wasted years you know, club officials don't hunger for finals like the members do, so are content with status quo - Richo…… is such a nice bloke, such a safe media commodity. A new coach might be a hand full for management. Put them on bonuses tied to making finals.