Bailey Rice - At the crossroads?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Special
Club Player

Re: Bailey Rice - At the crossroads?

Bubbles showed a lot of passion at the Sandy game vs Franganastan at ARSE Park the other week. Not sure if he can turn that into being a player up forward for us though.

Anyway, if in doubt, re sign him for another 3 years so we can permanently stay in the mire.

I’m hoping with Lethers and Gubby swinging the shots our drafting strategy will permanently stay different (as we saw last year picking up a heap of mature aged players).

We just need to god damn be in the hunt for trades and FA if anyone wants us!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

is he selling his soul to the Devil ????

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 11:12am Dinny said a few interested things on twitter.

When asked about Rice he said he "wasn't fit enough"

When asked about White not getting a game, he sort of danced around it and said "Have heard people argue that he should take McKenzie's spot but Saints say McKenzie is really good at knowing where to stand and how to play team defence"

Not sure if that is a slight clip at White for perhaps playing selfishly?
If Brandon White is playing selfishly, wtf do you call the way Seb Ross is playing?

This is what we mean by integrity of team selection. Jimmy Webster is out of the team and he needs to replaced by a backman...that's the only position that needs to be filled because Jimmy does not play as a mid or a forward.

It's the perfect opportunity for White to fill a void and play his role. Brandon White has been playing consistently well at VFL level and has been discriminated against by his coach. Bloody play the kid Cho!!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 7:53pm
The_President wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 11:12am Dinny said a few interested things on twitter.

When asked about Rice he said he "wasn't fit enough"

When asked about White not getting a game, he sort of danced around it and said "Have heard people argue that he should take McKenzie's spot but Saints say McKenzie is really good at knowing where to stand and how to play team defence"

Not sure if that is a slight clip at White for perhaps playing selfishly?
If Brandon White is playing selfishly, wtf do you call the way Seb Ross is playing?

This is what we mean by integrity of team selection. Jimmy Webster is out of the team and he needs to replaced by a backman...that's the only position that needs to be filled because Jimmy does not play as a mid or a forward.

It's the perfect opportunity for White to fill a void and play his role. Brandon White has been playing consistently well at VFL level and has been discriminated against by his coach. Bloody play the kid Cho!!
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Seb is a waddling plonker. Who then butchers it.

Play White FFS .... at least he’s an elite kick who rarely turns it over

Go you red, black & white warriors
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Three months on from when this thread started, how are we viewing Rice now?

He'll be 23 in February.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Bubbles will be delisted!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saintly66
Club Player

Lol be nice if he actually got a game when he was supposed to throughout the year. But hey what do you expect when we had the coach we did.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Very good VFL player

Special
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 7:46pm Very good VFL player
I hope Sandy sign him up after we delist him at the end of the season - unless Gold Coast want him as a delisted FA

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Would probably have played 50 odd AFL games by now if he had chosen the blues over the saints.

oldie60
Club Player

I think we fell for the romance of getting a father / son. I think he will only ever be a good vfl/local footballer. I don't think he ever looks like he's totally invested in a career at the highest level.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coast aren’t going to get any better by picking up guys who couldn’t get a game at other bottom clubs.

They need AFL experienced players

And talent.

Saintly66
Club Player

oldie60 wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 8:06pm I think we fell for the romance of getting a father / son. I think he will only ever be a good vfl/local footballer. I don't think he ever looks like he's totally invested in a career at the highest level.
Looks are obviously deceiving.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 7:54pm
Saint wagga wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 5:37pm
evertonfc wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 3:10pm Can play, but isn't fit enough by a long shot.

He's 6-7kgs over what he should be. Doesn't have speed, doesn't have endurance. Exclusively relies on footy instinct. Which means he'll be a fantastic VFL and local player.

He'll hate hearing that, but what can I say...you need to be super lean to play AFL and he's not.

Look at the professionalism of Callum Wilkie - who wasn't even on a list seven months ago - and it's another planet.
Reading a book about Geelongs rebuild under bomber and recruiter Wells and they are adamant that pure footballers will always do better than athletes without footy smarts...in particular when they are recruiting guys like Ling, Bartel, Chapman...it’s just food for thought weather or not athleticism is still over rated...either way, Rice has had a few chances and hasn’t really snaffled them...he may get 1 more crack this year depending on injuries form etc...
I've always agreed with the theory you're pushing above. However, that theory is now about 5 years behind the pace (case in point - Geelong recruiting Mark Blicavs from athletics).

In 2019, it's not a question of "footy smarts" or "an athlete". Legitimately, unless you're Steve Johnson in the football IQ, you need to have both.

Rice is pretty good at one and pretty ordinary at the other. He seems like a good bloke, etc, but if he wants to make it, he'll only make it by becoming the hardest working footballer on our list.

My observations are that he enjoys the lifestyle of being a footballer, especially in the off-season, rather than pushing himself to the limits of performance.

Nobody is holding a gun to his head to do the extra work, he has to do that himself. And he's not "overweight" - but he's a long way from premium fitness.

You can't be idling, ticking over, etc these days unless you have the runs on the board. He hasn't. He'd better get moving, in more ways than one.
Unfortunately, he just couldn't get himself up to the standard required. Feel for the young man, as he'd be feeling shattered right now.

I reckon he might regret not giving it a better go. But that's footy, and that's life.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 6:47am
evertonfc wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 7:54pm
Saint wagga wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 5:37pm
evertonfc wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 3:10pm Can play, but isn't fit enough by a long shot.

He's 6-7kgs over what he should be. Doesn't have speed, doesn't have endurance. Exclusively relies on footy instinct. Which means he'll be a fantastic VFL and local player.

He'll hate hearing that, but what can I say...you need to be super lean to play AFL and he's not.

Look at the professionalism of Callum Wilkie - who wasn't even on a list seven months ago - and it's another planet.
Reading a book about Geelongs rebuild under bomber and recruiter Wells and they are adamant that pure footballers will always do better than athletes without footy smarts...in particular when they are recruiting guys like Ling, Bartel, Chapman...it’s just food for thought weather or not athleticism is still over rated...either way, Rice has had a few chances and hasn’t really snaffled them...he may get 1 more crack this year depending on injuries form etc...
I've always agreed with the theory you're pushing above. However, that theory is now about 5 years behind the pace (case in point - Geelong recruiting Mark Blicavs from athletics).

In 2019, it's not a question of "footy smarts" or "an athlete". Legitimately, unless you're Steve Johnson in the football IQ, you need to have both.

Rice is pretty good at one and pretty ordinary at the other. He seems like a good bloke, etc, but if he wants to make it, he'll only make it by becoming the hardest working footballer on our list.

My observations are that he enjoys the lifestyle of being a footballer, especially in the off-season, rather than pushing himself to the limits of performance.

Nobody is holding a gun to his head to do the extra work, he has to do that himself. And he's not "overweight" - but he's a long way from premium fitness.

You can't be idling, ticking over, etc these days unless you have the runs on the board. He hasn't. He'd better get moving, in more ways than one.
Unfortunately, he just couldn't get himself up to the standard required. Feel for the young man, as he'd be feeling shattered right now.

I reckon he might regret not giving it a better go. But that's footy, and that's life.
How do we know he didn’t give it everything he has?

I don’t know the answer.

You can’t turn a draught horse into a Thoroughbred no matter how hard you train it, maybe it is genetic not effort?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Hm. And maybe not giving enough effort is also genetic.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing is... a guy like White stood out at that level and got the BF hence the questioning RE why he didn’t play appropriate

Rice on the other hand whilst having reasonable-good games from time to time... never really looked capable of stepping it up to the seniors and being a top22 guy.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Rice not at the crossroads.
Rice got hit by a bus crossing the road, too slow.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rice and White were both delisted simply because they were not good enough.

End of story afaic.

Harves Man
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 12:33pm is he selling his soul to the Devil ????
...But you should hear him play accoustic.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Rice needed to either be taller or faster. Either attribute would have seen him forge out a solid career. If he had both he would be a star.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ironically, in a team lacking great foot skills, Rice and White were in the top 5 in that area

B.M
Saintsational Legend

But Rice and White lacked the endurance to compete at afl level

oldie60
Club Player

Got stuck at the Montague st Bridge

Secret Kiel
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 7:58am Ironically, in a team lacking great foot skills, Rice and White were in the top 5 in that area
At VFL level for sure, watch the game against the Crows at docklands early in the 2018 season when white played, he tried to go inboard by foot and turned it over more than once, so he had trouble with following team rules/game plans also and his kicking at the elite level let him down early.