Whispers in the sky

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Re: Whispers in the sky

This is why I love Grant Thomas. He’s always stood up for us in a way nobody has before or since. Jeez I wish we could get him back to the place in a major way. I’d love him to be president one day

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Listen to | Grant Thomas - Saint or Sinner? from SACKED in Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/s ... 9dc335577f

Really worth a listen

Talks about the 2004-2005 preliminary final losses. Says he could have responded better at three quarter time in 2005 after Hall’s hit on Maguire.

Says Sirengate cost us the double chance that year. The club had QCs lined up saying we had a case, but then didn’t want to pursue it.

Tips a bucket on Demetriou. Suggests that, at best, the then AFL CEO had a complete lack of respect for our club.

Is coy about Buttress, but says a meeting at the end of 2003 after he and the players returned from London was the tipping point in their relationship.

Talks about his sacking and how it unfolded.

Says he backed Blight to the hilt in his role as football director and was literally the last to know of plans to remove him.

Nominates the best mark he’s seen, Riewoldt against Sydney in 2004. Also lauds the courage of Lenny, Kosi, Jason Blake, Baker and others.

Talks about St Kilda’s culture over 150 years and what we need to do to achieve success.

Laments where the club is at.

Anyhow, great interview, runs about 45 minutes

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Interesting he drags McGuire's name into it. Perhaps we can hear from Parker, McGuire, Buttress, Blight. Forget Demetriou, too many skeletons in that man's closet, makes Thommo look like an amateur.

Question has to be asked, why bring this up now? What or whose purpose does this serve?

Rubyjo
Club Player

Could be time for a reckoning. An inquiry needs to be launched.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 8:53am Interesting he drags McGuire's name into it. Perhaps we can hear from Parker, McGuire, Buttress, Blight. Forget Demetriou, too many skeletons in that man's closet, makes Thommo look like an amateur.

Question has to be asked, why bring this up now? What or whose purpose does this serve?
Exactly the question
Part 2 today and it’s all “I was footy Director but was last to know they (nasty Rod Butters and faceless men..) were going to sack Blighty (I love Blighty btw) and appoint me!!
Oh shock horror.....I was gobsmacked!!!

Honestly ANYONE who believes this career apologist and flog ought to have their head read. Never read a bigger load of revisionist BS in my life ....but again you ask: why now???
Old rent a headline Thomas.....always happy t drag and sir Saints dirty linen in public to make himself look good.
Guys a disgrace to the club - just **** off.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 8:53am

It’s part of a series they’re doing on sacked coaches. They did Malthouse last week. Next week is Bluey McKenna.

Maybe they’ll do Watters next or Ro$$ Lyon.

Oh, wait ... Ro$$co sacked us. I forgot
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 15 Jul 2019 10:16am, edited 1 time in total.

barneyboyz
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 12:28am Definitely... makes me wonder why I follow football at all.

I always had respect for GT, even though he got out coached at times. Probably one of the best coaches at his time.

Anyway, AFL feels rotten to the core after reading this article and I wonder how long I’ll last as a footy follower.
This is exactly what they want, especially when you (they) might consider a move to Tassie i.e. they need to get us at our weakest point. St Kilda has potential to be one of the biggest Melbourne based clubs, although it's fan base has never converted into significant membership numbers. With this, the club has also been stifled (it now seems) at all points and for quite some time too.

My old signature suggested that it all starts and ends with us, the supporters, followers or fans. If we want it, it can happen. Would be nice though if we could start with a level playing field.

Better start buying your memberships folks, before it's over

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
axcellence
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 10:12am
My old signature suggested that it all starts and ends with us, the supporters, followers or fans. If we want it, it can happen. Would be nice though if we could start with a level playing field.

I can agree with the first part somewhat, that members may need to act, because the board and the management has not.

But, then it has to more than just buying memberships, because there has to be meaningful changes. Otherwise, the rubbish just continues.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

GT sounds like an amateur sometimes- I remember when he said he was learning how to be a more “highly effective person” and I laughed but I have a lot of respect for him as a person of integrity and focus and he achieved so much for this club. It was brutal when he was let go, and probably awkward later, but time will be kind I feel. I agree with the sentiments here about Demetrieu and the economic rationalism before passion that leads to us investing billions in the Gold Coast (I hope they fail) and leaving Tassie in the dust. (with more kids that play, or should I say played) than Gold Coast.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I like GT.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I have to say...

Grant Thomas stood up for this football club and stared down the authorities.

You can count on one hand the number of people who've done that in over 120 years.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ss1986
Club Player

Could he be our Jeff Kennett?

You might hate him, but he rocks the boat and ensures Hawthorn’s relevance.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 9:56am
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 8:53am Interesting he drags McGuire's name into it. Perhaps we can hear from Parker, McGuire, Buttress, Blight. Forget Demetriou, too many skeletons in that man's closet, makes Thommo look like an amateur.

Exactly the question
Part 2 today and it’s all “I was footy Director but was last to know they (nasty Rod Butters and faceless men..) were going to sack Blighty (I love Blighty btw) and appoint me!!
Oh shock horror.....I was gobsmacked!!!

Honestly ANYONE who believes this career apologist and flog ought to have their head read. Never read a bigger load of revisionist BS in my life ....but again you ask: why now???
Old rent a headline Thomas.....always happy t drag and sir Saints dirty linen in public to make himself look good.
Guys a disgrace to the club - just **** off.
Have you listened to the podcast Teflon? Or are you just grabbing a headline here and there and adding your own dislike of Grant Thomas.

I highly recommend every died-in-the-wool Saint listens to this podcast. For one, you will learn more about the workings of the StKFC than you spent reading the machinations of posters on Saintsational.

As Molly would say, "do yourself a favour".

Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

And a deliberate mistake has been added for ss1986, our resident grammar master!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 3:11pm Could he be our Jeff Kennett?

You might hate him, but he rocks the boat and ensures Hawthorn’s relevance.
Haha, how would that be? GT president for life. I’d vote for him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 3:55am Listen to | Grant Thomas - Saint or Sinner? from SACKED in Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/s ... 9dc335577f

Really worth a listen

Talks about the 2004-2005 preliminary final losses. Says he could have responded better at three quarter time in 2005 after Hall’s hit on Maguire.

Says Sirengate cost us the double chance that year. The club had QCs lined up saying we had a case, but then didn’t want to pursue it.

Tips a bucket on Demetriou. Suggests that, at best, the then AFL CEO had a complete lack of respect for our club.

Is coy about Buttress, but says a meeting at the end of 2003 after he and the players returned from London was the tipping point in their relationship.

Says he backed Blight to the hilt in his role as football director and was literally the last to know of plans to remove him.

Nominates the best mark he’s seen, Riewoldt against Sydney in 2004. Also lauds the courage of Lenny, Kosi, Jason Blake, Baker and others.

Talks about St Kilda’s culture over 150 years and what we need to do to achieve success.

We finished 4th. How did it cost us the double chance?? May have cost us a home final but we beat the crows in the 1st final anyway. GT spinning BS again I think.

GT talks about the umpires putting their egos in their back pocket. Maybe he should have taken his own advice. He represented the SKFC not himself. Makes us all warm and fuzzy that he stuck it to City Hall but where did it get us? How did it help StKilda? For mine it shows how dumb GT was and what an egomaniac he was/is.

And as far or those posters who continually get on here and carry on about this giant conspiracy against the Saints by the umpires. Richo complaining about the umpires on weekend just made me realise that he's a dead man walking and this was one last pathetic roll of the dice. THis is what makes us look like losers. Only in our own minds do we feel that it's us sticking up for ourselves. Everyone else would smirk and realise that it's the whining of a bottom feeder club.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 4:07pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 3:55am Listen to | Grant Thomas - Saint or Sinner? from SACKED in Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/s ... 9dc335577f

Really worth a listen

We finished 4th. How did it cost us the double chance?? May have cost us a home final but we beat the crows in the 1st final anyway. GT spinning BS again I think.

GT talks about the umpires putting their egos in their back pocket. Maybe he should have taken his own advice. He represented the SKFC not himself. Makes us all warm and fuzzy that he stuck it to City Hall but where did it get us? How did it help StKilda? For mine it shows how dumb GT was and what an egomaniac he was/is.

And as far or those posters who continually get on here and carry on about this giant conspiracy against the Saints by the umpires. Richo complaining about the umpires on weekend just made me realise that he's a dead man walking and this was one last pathetic roll of the dice. THis is what makes us look like losers. Only in our own minds do we feel that it's us sticking up for ourselves. Everyone else would smirk and realise that it's the whining of a bottom feeder club.

Ah, maybe it was Whispers in the Sky he said cost us double chance. I’ll have to give it another listen and you should, too, if you haven’t already.

Anyway, you’re entitled to your views on GT. One thing about him is he certainly polarises opinion

barneyboyz
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 3:02pm I have to say...

Grant Thomas stood up for this football club and stared down the authorities.

You can count on one hand the number of people who've done that in over 120 years.
If Alan Jeans had of done that in 1965, would we have won more premierships? or would we still be on NIL? Seems to me that GT has cost us more than he was worth??? I do respect him for it, it's just that they could have started blueing after he left with a couple of flags

By the way, I do realise the ridiculousness in my comparisons above, and they weren't meant to be literal. Different times

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Says Sirengate cost us the double chance that year. The club had QCs lined up saying we had a case, but then

Sirengate did cost us the double chance in 2006. In fact we would have finished 3rd in the case of sharing premiership points with Fremantle.

...just saying

barneyboyz
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 1:57pm
barneyboyz wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 10:12am

I can agree with the first part somewhat, that members may need to act, because the board and the management has not.

But, then it has to more than just buying memberships, because there has to be meaningful changes. Otherwise, the rubbish just continues.
For us it might look something more like staying alive long enough for everything to fall in to place, it's not like we do it well :wink: Money is the main force in this business focussed industry now. But let's face it, we as supporters, don't know really what's happening until it's too late. Every Board since the start, has wanted roughly the same thing

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I will ALWAYS respect Grant Thomas. It's just a pity that there were SO many softcocks and AFL sycophants within the industry, who were happy to see GT and the Saints footy club being shafted..... after all, it meant that THEY were left alone. I still believe that the 2006 sacking was in part due to pressure from AFL HQ. Shame on those who didn't back our coach.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 5:52pm I will ALWAYS respect Grant Thomas. It's just a pity that there were SO many softcocks and AFL sycophants within the industry, who were happy to see GT and the Saints footy club being shafted..... after all, it meant that THEY were left alone. I still believe that the 2006 sacking was in part due to pressure from AFL HQ. Shame on those who didn't back our coach.
Strongly hinted in the podcast that Demetriou knew GT was for the chop at season's end.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

We finshed 6th. Equal on points with Collingwood and Sydney.

We'd have played Adelaide away in week 1.

As it turned out we played a 'home' final agaisnt Melbourne at their home ground.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

It's an interesting point.

What's to gain by fighting with the AFL? It feels good, but it's kind of like telling your boss to f*** off. In the long run, is it really going to help? Or hinder you?

As a supporter, would you rather a club that is 'sticking up for itself' whilst being rodgered at every turn for for being insolent?
Or a club that bends over and cops it - but isn't on the receiving end of the AFL's vindictiveness?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 6:19pm

It's an interesting point.

What's to gain by fighting with the AFL? It feels good, but it's kind of like telling your boss to f*** off. In the long run, is it really going to help? Or hinder you?

As a supporter, would you rather a club that is 'sticking up for itself' whilst being rodgered at every turn for for being insolent?
Or a club that bends over and cops it - but isn't on the receiving end of the AFL's vindictiveness?
I’d rather we not bend over for anyone. Prefer the club to be respected and not pushovers